DII Front Coil Spring Bowed/Not Seated Properly

The Fourth Amigo

Apr 20, 2009
Front driver side coil spring on 2000 DII. There's nothing obviously loose, drives fine and sits level. The springs are Terrafirma HD +2 and are about 5 years old.

It's like the axle isn't straight but all the radius arm bushes seem ok. Maybe I'll exchange the front springs from side to side.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Did it happen after you went wheeling? You probably dislocated the spring under articulation and it didnt seat right. It happens to me even with front cones!

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
Looks like the spring is caught up in the rubber locator. Terrafirma makes a steel locator that says its for D1, but it works fine with D2. You can also combine a rear upper isolator with it. I have it.

JUKE179r

Sep 14, 2016
Suffolkshire, UK
It looks like a horrific weld job where the rubber locator is seated up in.
Do you have a wider picture that you can post of that area?

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Looks like the spring is caught up in the rubber locator. Terrafirma makes a steel locator that says its for D1, but it works fine with D2. You can also combine a rear upper isolator with it. I have it.

Even with the front cones.. I still manage to drop too far.
22538324_1710110362332600_1707578022_n.jpg

The Fourth Amigo

Apr 20, 2009
Did it happen after you went wheeling? You probably dislocated the spring under articulation and it didnt seat right. It happens to me even with front cones!

Yup. I lowered the axle as much as I could with the shock still bolted up and popped it back in place with a big pry bar.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I wish I was getting half that front action. Even at full drop I only get a small amount of dislocation. What Fox shocks are those.

2.0 emulsions 11" travel. The RTE shock towers have had 3" cut out of them and rewelded. Letting me get more downtravel. The modified radius arms also seem to help with flex.

I need to get either longer cones or retaining straps. I can usually just kick the spring back into place without too much fuss.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
2.0 emulsions 11" travel. The RTE shock towers have had 3" cut out of them and rewelded. Letting me get more downtravel. The modified radius arms also seem to help with flex.

I need to get either longer cones or retaining straps. I can usually just kick the spring back into place without too much fuss.

I had a similar issue, both front and rear. Ended up destroying the sidewall of a tire because I didn't notice that a spring had popped out until some time later, and it wore right into the tire. Now I use straps and haven't looked back. The truck feels more predictable as well.

Jimmy

Apr 10, 2006
Aurora, CO
X2 that the spring isn't properly seated at the top. The bottom is harder to see, but it doesn't look like it's right either. It looks to be sitting a touch too far towards the front... but it could just be the pic angle.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I had a similar issue, both front and rear. Ended up destroying the sidewall of a tire because I didn't notice that a spring had popped out until some time later, and it wore right into the tire. Now I use straps and haven't looked back. The truck feels more predictable as well.

So many years into this debate and people still don't realize that a tire only loaded with a fraction of a weight of an axle is not going to be very useful for traction. And it won't help with stability, either.

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
and...after so many year of debate. I STILL beg to differ. While it may not offer absolute traction it does off a little. And on the rocks that I wheel on most of the time the advantage is there. :patriot: On rock...some traction is always better than no traction.

PS- the only reason I wrote this (although it is my opinion) is to see what types of responses i can get.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
and...after so many year of debate. I STILL beg to differ. While it may not offer absolute traction it does off a little. And on the rocks that I wheel on most of the time the advantage is there. :patriot: On rock...some traction is always better than no traction.
Sure, and that's most of the four-wheeling I do, too.
But consider this... Assuming some prudent level of equipment, compare the time it takes to run a winch cable to what it takes to re-seat a spring?

2015_10_03_13_27_39A.JPG

Fuck, it takes less time than to type this response.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Reseating my front spring consists of kicking it while the weight of the truck is still on it.. In the rear I have the cones on the bottom. Reseating them has never been an issue. The front cones just need to be a bit longer, the spring only drops below the cone when Im fully flexed out.

I dont ever feel unstable with cones. In fact. I usually manage to keep my tires mostly on the ground while other Rovers are doing huge wheel stands!

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
reseating my springs (if necessary) usually take somewhere between 3-10 seconds. 10 seconds only if something is on top of my mini sledge in the tool box.