Drivers door stuck

isavage

Jun 2, 2015
Augusta, Ga
I'm sure this has been addressed before but I searched the threads and couldn't find anything. The drivers door on my 95 D1 is stuck shut. The door unlocks but will not open from either side. I peeled the door panel back and everything looks okay. Any ideas on getting the door to open? Thanks!

Icannap1

Mar 3, 2015
OC, CA
Try holding the lock lever pin above the door upward while opening the door from either inside or the outside handle. If that does the trick there is a warn or broken spring that needs to be replaced if that doesn't work you will need to remove the door panel and unlock it from inside of the door by looking at what levers move while you try opening it.

isavage

Jun 2, 2015
Augusta, Ga
Tried that. I can get the levers to move but it's like the latch is frozen. Every thing seems to be moving as it should but it won't open. it's as if the latch failed.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
The part that is broken is invisible to the eye until you take it apart. This is the spring that you need. Might as well buy the set of 5 because it's inevitable that you will need the other doors eventually. It's a couple hour job - not particularly difficult, just detail oriented. Having replaced 3 of the 5 door springs on my Discos, this is most likely your culprit.

You should lube it to get this "last time open" you need. Try to reach with cannula nozzle to inject wd40 or similar. From outside and inside. In order to help locking mechanism to get free you can press/depress door during opening try. If this small spring is broken, with many locking/unlocking movements you should get one that let you open.

Regards

isavage

Jun 2, 2015
Augusta, Ga
I got the door open finally. It opens with no problem unless you lock it, if you lock it the only way to open it is from the latch. I'll take it apart when I have more time in the mean time I tied safety wire around the latch release so I can pop it open if it gets stuck. Thanks agin for the help.

Grenade

Oct 8, 2015
Vegas
I got the door open finally. It opens with no problem unless you lock it, if you lock it the only way to open it is from the latch. I'll take it apart when I have more time in the mean time I tied safety wire around the latch release so I can pop it open if it gets stuck. Thanks agin for the help.

I just went through this and I installed a whole new latch from AB. Now all works like a charm.