2016 Uwharrie Safari April7th -10th

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Good times for sure. Was surprised at the lack of technical trails, but it was good to see everyone

Daniel and Dutch John are the only two technical trails and that can vary significantly depending on a few factors - 1) How recently the trails were fixed and 2) How wet they are. We only use the trails for one day out of a 5-day course as we have quite a bit of other private trails we have access to there locally.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Daniel and Dutch John are the only two technical trails and that can vary significantly depending on a few factors - 1) How recently the trails were fixed and 2) How wet they are. We only use the trails for one day out of a 5-day course as we have quite a bit of other private trails we have access to there locally.

Dutch John is easy if its dry. The hill climb on Dickey Bell is still tricky. We had two trucks in a row have failures going up Sat night. One blew a tire and the other broke both U joints on the rear drive shaft.

Weather is a huge factor on the difficulty out there. Big Creek (across the street from Uwharrie) is where if I go if I want more of a challenge..

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Dutch John is easy if its dry. The hill climb on Dickey Bell is still tricky. We had two trucks in a row have failures going up Sat night. One blew a tire and the other broke both U joints on the rear drive shaft.

Weather is a huge factor on the difficulty out there. Big Creek (across the street from Uwharrie) is where if I go if I want more of a challenge..

Knock on wood we've never had a failure over the years on Dickey Bell. A few cut tires all over, but slow and steady wins up there - as does recovering early.

We use Big Creek more than the forest. Our property is just down from the Outpost and Big Creek is about 4-5 miles from the Outpost. That's where we have the tight trails and off camber stuff. We're always adding more trails to our trails too, since it's hard to strike a balance when one day it's dry as a bone and the next it's extremely slick/muddy.

Buddy

Nov 6, 2006
Central NC
I can imagine with the some of the grades, it'd get pretty stupid when wet

It's more the red clay than the grades. That stuff gets slicker than snot when it's wet. I've seen people that didn't have a really good MT get stuck in near flat areas. Even Falls Dam can be difficult for a non-modified truck.

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
It's more the red clay than the grades. That stuff gets slicker than snot when it's wet. I've seen people that didn't have a really good MT get stuck in near flat areas.

What kind of MT works in red clay?
I havent seen a good one yet that works well in Virginia red clay...

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
Super swampers! I was hoping it would be wet last weekend so I could try my new TSL's out.. but it was bone dry...:mad:

Nope- I had TSL's and they loaded up full of clay and slid downhill with all the others.
Any others?

Maximumwarp

Mar 22, 2015
Fairburn GA
At Safari last year it was wet, and my Treadwrights actually did really well. They're a crap tire that was on the truck when I bought it, and I can't wait to replace them, but they've done a decent job all around.

Jan 3, 2005
On Kennith's private island
Iroks do pretty well, as do krawlers.

Big%20Boyz%20001%20%28Small%29.jpg