Questions about outdoor trip

Hello, I am sure that few know me here, although I participate in DiscoWeb since 2000, when my 1998 Disco was almost new.
I usually travel with my family to natural areas of my country and enjoyed camping, sometimes with our roof tent.
I will have the possibility to have a month to travel to USA and our idea would be travel west with car and visit natural landscapes. Even I don't have information about itineraries nor to hire a suitable vehicle for such a journey
So if you know links that could serve me to begin to outline our plan, I hope you share them
Thank you in advance!
Regards

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
The American West is an amazing place to explore. What you see is dependent on what time of year you come and what you want to do. No visit to the western US is complete without a trip through southwest Colorado. Also recommend Southern Utah, especially if you have a 4WD and can leave the pavement. Oregon and Idaho--especially the less-populated areas--are amazing and not frequently visited.

What kind of vehicle will you have and what do you want to do?

Thank You all for the tips
What kind of vehicle will you have and what do you want to do?
My dream would be to travel with one of my old green Discos with roof tent, but i'm afraid that time and cost will make me change for rent something there.

So this start-list from Chris snell, "Colorado-Utah-Oregon-Idaho" is already being music to my ears.
Less populated areas are our specialty. We are wife and me, son and daughter, and time of year can be january-february or july-august.

I try to send an image of our team in the only one place where 300TDI Discos push better than V8 ones: more to 4700 meters from altitude

100_0983.JPG

Your tips will be welcome

Regards

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
You can rent a RRC from Bill Burke when you take one of his classes. One of his classes would be well worth your time (or anybody's time) and he is an encyclopedia of local knowledge about these areas. I'm not sure if he would rent one of the trucks beyond the class period but he might.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Gruner,

want to do the swap? I'll get your Disco in Buenos Aires, you can get mine in San Diego!
You'll only have to ship the roof rack and RTT,

Peter

Peter, let me "mature" that idea. It's good. I'll find out what paperwork needs to be done to circulate here not being the owner.
Eventually I will disturb with a private message
But i still ask if anybody can recommend some source of information on the possible route in relation to the time of year.
Thanks in advance

Regards

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
For what it's worth, Peter is one of the very short list of people I would entrust my 110 to.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Chris - LOL, no you won't :)

Grüner - seriously, please be more specific: do you have any time of a year in mind? The drivable roads in the West range from 280 ft below sea level to more than 14 thousand feet above. Some of them are fantastic in summer but buried under many meters of snow in winter. The others are great in winter but you could be cooking steaks on the truck body parts in summer.

Chris - LOL, no you won't

Peter, it's good that Snell try to convince me to lend my Disco. Really it is not easy for me, haha!
The land down here is similar, therefore, we used to visit in July places with snow, and in summer, ie in January-February, we are used to make long itineraries as we want to do there. I guess the time of year would be end July-early August.
Is good time to explore and camp?

Regards

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Peter, it's good that Snell try to convince me to lend my Disco. Really it is not easy for me, haha!
The land down here is similar, therefore, we used to visit in July places with snow, and in summer, ie in January-February, we are used to make long itineraries as we want to do there. I guess the time of year would be end July-early August.
Is good time to explore and camp?
Any time is good, the time you picked is in the height of monsoon season. It makes for fantastic photography, but camping needs some consideration. Four years ago we were in Colorado in late July/early August, camping in the tent - and had to dry our tent and sleeping bags every single day.

The temperatures in the desert are likely to be near 40-45C during the day, down to 30-ish at night. High desert will be cooler - still hot, so you have to be certain in your Disco's cooling system. In the mountain passes in Colorado you may encounter an occasional dusting of snow - or, more likely, heavy rains. Anywhere you stay - beware of flash floods.

To what port do you plan to ship your truck?

El Ed

Apr 20, 2004
San Diego
There is an outfit here in Carlsbad, CA that rents rooftop tents and trailers and other gear I believe. If he doesn't anymore, he has a link to someone local. He does have and overloading business that takes folks out on trips and they provide everything 1st class concierge type. Check it out. Its called TAP http://www.theadventureportal.com
I don't know much about them other than meeting the owner once.

Hope that helps.
Eddie

To what port do you plan to ship your truck?

I don't plan to ship it. For a month it has no sense, and if in the future I get more time I think I wit try to do it together with it. There are a lot of places in the middle to visit.

Thanks for the link, Edward. Roof tents are not so expensive there. Mine is a self-made with a lot of hours invested!

Regards

Last edited:

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Montana. Yellowstone National Park. Glacier National Park. Plus all the other national and state forests. And we have 80 mph interstates, and no monsoons and 4 million fewer people than Colorado.

Do a google image search for Montana. We have mountains, glaciers, and prairies. There's a reason it's known as "The Last Best Place"

Hello!
Much water has flowed under the bridge since I opened this thread of discussion.
These days I find out that another Club member is just sending his D90 and the Discovery of a friend in containers to Houston.
Their plan is to visit MOAB and if they arrive on time even attend an annual event. Then travel west, as I planned when I consulted.
I put here a link with some photos of how he prepared his Defender to be recognized if someone sees my friend Lucas, and his companions Guillermo and Santiago.
The two vehicles are Diesel, 300TDI
http://www.landroverclub.com.ar/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=151354
With regard to me, as I was not fully recovered from a health problem, I used my vacation to travel with my D2 to the welsh area from Patagonia, that is, I "stayed home" haha!
I made an english report with pictures here http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php/307610-5200km-to-Chubut-and-back

Regards