Half Way Point between Moab and Chicago

RVR OVR

Dec 9, 2004
IL
Planning to drive to Moab for a week from the Chicago area in June. Cozad, Nebraska seems to be the half way point if I do the math, but wondering if there is a better place to spend the night for me and my teenage son with some stuff do to in the evening.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
Planning to drive to Moab for a week from the Chicago area in June. Cozad, Nebraska seems to be the half way point if I do the math, but wondering if there is a better place to spend the night for me and my teenage son with some stuff do to in the evening.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Yuck!! I have to travel to central/eastern Nebraska on the regular and I wouldn't stay there if possible. There is a military museum along the interstate there I've always wanted to check out though but never have time.

I would shoot for Grand Island. You'll at least be able to find a decent motel and somewhere to eat there. Not much to do in those parts.

RVR OVR

Dec 9, 2004
IL
Hmnmm..that would make the next days drive a bit longer than I want. I am trying to max out at 10 hours per day per google maps, knowing that with stops and such it will be more like 11.5 to 12 hours per day.

I guess I have to just deal with some less than ideal places if I want to stick to that plan.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
It's only a thousand miles from Chicago to Denver...
This. Push hard the first day. I did it in 2010 with my D1, flying solo, no cruise control. Everything between Chicago and Denver absolutely sucks balls so you might as well get it out of the way in one shot.
Then you can take your time and enjoy the drive to Moab. Take the scenic route, Hwy 128 along the Colorado River to Moab.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
On top of this, driving from Denver to Moab takes a lot more time than the distance suggests. And I also second 128 to Moab instead of 191.

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
Kearney and North Platte are about an 45 min to an hour away east/west. Neither is great but there would be a little more there. I've had alright sushi in both places. Still nothing to do really, maybe fish. I think there is a car museum that's supposed to be alright in Kearney. I was wrong about the military museum (just tanks, etc.), its in Lexington, east of Cozad. Nothing to go out of your way for, I'd only go if I were stuck there. There is literally nothing in those little towns, probably fast food and one dirty Mexican food restaurant.

x3 what they said.

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
I always stopped in North Platte when doing a similar drive to and from college years ago. That is assuming I didn't drive straight through.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Stop for smoked pork chops in the amana colonies.

I've done Detroit to den "non stop" number of times it sux.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
If you're in Grand Island, eat at Uncle Bob's steakhouse.
A "medium size" steak is the size of a dinner plate.

Gothenburg has a Pony Express way station to look at.

Beyond that, you should just keep driving.
Only thing less interesting than Nebraska is Iowa, but anything is better than Illinoying.

Don't bother trying to find any of the "Diners, DriveIns & Dives"; they don't exist.

RVR OVR

Dec 9, 2004
IL
Thanks...looks like North Plate is the ticket. I am too old and my son is too young to deal with 14 hours in one day.

I will be towing the Rover along with dirt and mountain bikes, so no dirt roads will be added for fun. :)

For those of you who know North Platte, is it a "safe" area? I had ATV's stolen off the back of a truck when they had super thick chain on them in Arizona overnight in a nice residential neighborhood. Ruined that trip! Worried about the bikes getting robbed.

Tom

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
I wouldn't think you would have any problems. I've always thought it is kind of a trashy place but I wouldn't say there is anywhere that is unsafe. The only riff-raff I've seen (the kind that might steal a bicycle) were closer to the rail lines in the north part of town and the hotels are all south near the interstate. I wouldn't think you'd have any problems. We haven't had any tools stolen off our drill rig or truck while working there. There is a railroad museum and go kart track there your son would probably like if you'll be needing something to do.