D1 horn doesn't work except...

glester

Jul 11, 2017
Seattle
It does work when the alarm is triggered. So I assume that its the same horn as the one that is actuated when depressing the center of the steering wheel. When looking at the Rave guide, it looks like the only thing between the horn switches on the steering wheel and the activation by the theft control unit is the rotary coupler. However, I'm not getting an SRS light on the dash, so not sure that the rotary coupler would be bad.

Anybody had or heard of this issue before?

Frobisher

Dec 27, 2012
Pennsylvania
I had that problem a few years ago, and I believe it was the rotary coupler because the wiring and horn all tested okay. Unfortunately, someone had tried to take the steering wheel off before me, so the screws were stripped. No dice.

My work-around was to connect the horn wire to one of the momentary switch on the left side of the console. It may be the volume control since my aftermarket radio isn't connected into all that. I put a horn sticker on it so the inspection station knows where it is, and I was good to go.

All things considered, it's not a bad plan B once you train yourself to reach for it.

glester

Jul 11, 2017
Seattle
I had that problem a few years ago, and I believe it was the rotary coupler because the wiring and horn all tested okay. Unfortunately, someone had tried to take the steering wheel off before me, so the screws were stripped. No dice.

My work-around was to connect the horn wire to one of the momentary switch on the left side of the console. It may be the volume control since my aftermarket radio isn't connected into all that. I put a horn sticker on it so the inspection station knows where it is, and I was good to go.

All things considered, it's not a bad plan B once you train yourself to reach for it.

Thanks. That's a good idea to use a different button if needed. Heck, I think everyone has the cruise control button available. But yeah, the volume buttons would work well and probably better since they spring back up and don't stay depressed.

I don't know if Your electrical system is the same but, in order to analyze I give information of my 98D1: Horn connected via a Horn relay near the left foot from driver (LHD) consists of two bitonal units, one at each side of radiator in the front.
Alarm has another horn, installed near engine fusebox, right side front.
Horn units are used to rust their contacts.
In order to return them to life, you must twist sealed adjust screw, aplying 12v to its terminals until horn blows.
Doing it for a couple of seconds contact will get clean, and you may readjust screw at its correct sound.

Regards

glester

Jul 11, 2017
Seattle
I don't know if Your electrical system is the same but, in order to analyze I give information of my 98D1: Horn connected via a Horn relay near the left foot from driver (LHD) consists of two bitonal units, one at each side of radiator in the front.
Alarm has another horn, installed near engine fusebox, right side front.
Horn units are used to rust their contacts.
In order to return them to life, you must twist sealed adjust screw, aplying 12v to its terminals until horn blows.
Doing it for a couple of seconds contact will get clean, and you may readjust screw at its correct sound.

Regards

Thanks for the insight. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Frobisher

Dec 27, 2012
Pennsylvania
Thanks. That's a good idea to use a different button if needed. Heck, I think everyone has the cruise control button available. But yeah, the volume buttons would work well and probably better since they spring back up and don't stay depressed.

That's what I thought, and they're close to the steering wheel. Plus, I used the cruise control switch for some side worklights.