D1 transfer case leak

wturner

May 21, 2004
Houston
It looks to be coming from both front and rear main seals - output to the driveshafts (if that is the correct term). Rear seems to be leaking from inside the park brake.

Does the transfer case have to come out?

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Wills right. You could do the frt and rear output seals with it in the truck. Rover wanted the whole flange and seal replaced as a kit. Not sure I would buy all that shit. I would try just the seals first. The problem is that two really common leaks are the input seal and the 2 o rings on the counter shaft.

Jimmy

Apr 10, 2006
Aurora, CO
Yep, try new seals while it's still in the truck. I had to do my rear one, as I was tired of the leaking fluid gunking up the parking brake. Not a drip now!

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Ever fix that heater core?

The adapter plate from the rave manual makes life easy when dropping the drivetrain. If you cant have someone in houston cut it I can put you in contact with my waterjet guy up here

wturner

May 21, 2004
Houston
Both seals simultaneously if suddenly leaking may be gears getting hot without internal pressure release.

Regards

Well, I changed the fluids and left it sit, dry for probably a week before putting in the new fluid. I think that is where I screwed up.

robbyb20

Oct 2, 2019
Seattle
Looks like i potentially have a leak somewhere on my transfer case as well. It looks to be coming from the rear higher up. I cant pin point it but i just cleaned it all up and will look to see where its originating from.

From this post (https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/51882-lt230-leak-source/), it looks like it might be coming from the same spot, can i do what this person did "Clean the area meticulously and cover it in RTV Sealant" or am I looking at a world of pain?

I will have to check the level as well since what tipped me off was the high pitched noise coming from that area under load.

Thanks!

EDIT: Transfer box oil levels look good so thats not what is leaking. When i pull the oil out this week (servicing that and transmission), ill check the magnet for any larger metal shavings.

Last edited:

Harv

RTV on the outside won't last. How big is your leak? A pretty small leak can make a seemingly big mess, so just because your oil level looks fine doesn't necessarily mean that isn't where it's coming from.

robbyb20

Oct 2, 2019
Seattle
Leak doesnt seem to be originating from that, or its not significant. Photo of fine metal shavings attached, no chunks.

Tracking down a significant whine under load. Changed out T-case oil, changed out differential oils (front diff was BLACK so probable axle seal issue). Dreading changing out the transmission filter since i have to move the cross member bar to drop the trans plate. Will start with a trans fluid change first. Also going to change out the power steering lines since there is significant leaking from those.

Whine video clip. its loudest over the transmission.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3b1d.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3b1e.jpg

Last edited:

robbyb20

Oct 2, 2019
Seattle
That looks like a lot of metal, even if it hasn't been checked for a long time.

Woof, thats not great but not exactly terrible since I can change that out. I was curious about that since it was last changed in Feb this year.