Duluth Firehose pants

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I just received my order. I bought some clothes to try new things.

They sure feel tough. I'm impressed with the material and design at first glance. They certainly blow the fucking doors off the Carhartts I received the previous day. There's no comparison.

That said, I can't get away from this third-word impression I'm getting from them. I know they are made in China, and I don't like that at all, but they kind of seem like something you'd buy off the back of a pickup in Nairobi. That was the first thing that popped into my head.

I'm sure they'll last a long time, but so do Firestone and Pirelli sandals.

Maybe it's the stitching, or the way they are tailored; I don't know. Everything seems to fit nice, and the hardware isn't cheap, but there are little mistakes present.

None of them are serious, but they are the kind that brings to mind outdated machinery and rushed production. That's not it, though. It's a little annoying, but it's not the problem.

Something just isn't there, as if these are too far divorced from the mind that thought them up.

It's almost as if the bag should have been labeled "Trousers, Abrasion Resistant Utility; Size 3A, Color B".

Am I crazy, or does anyone else get this impression?

I look at them and think "good", but I'm just not feeling good when I'm thinking it.

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
They seem pretty accurate so far as fit is concerned. I'd go so far as to say better than most in all dimensions. You're good ordering whatever your normal size is.

They ride higher than most, but no worse than anything you'll have stuffed in boots before.

The hanger bender shirt I got at the same time, however, is way bigger than it's supposed to be, and after checking reviews, I noted that I'm not the only person that ran into the issue. They run fucking huge, man.

Cheers,

Kennith

May 6, 2006
Mtn Home, Idaho
www.cardomain.com
Im not a fan of how heavy they are, I tried to wear them in the summer and it was horrible. I've been buying their "everyday carpenter pants" and they seem to work good in both the summer and winter. if i get cold in the winter i just throw some bibs on anyways and its a done deal. theyre definitely good work pants that can get abused and seem to last a lot longer than most. it is too bad theyre all imported but its damn there impossible to find a decent price on throw away work pants that are made in the U.S anyways.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Im not a fan of how heavy they are, I tried to wear them in the summer and it was horrible. I've been buying their "everyday carpenter pants" and they seem to work good in both the summer and winter. if i get cold in the winter i just throw some bibs on anyways and its a done deal. theyre definitely good work pants that can get abused and seem to last a lot longer than most. it is too bad theyre all imported but its damn there impossible to find a decent price on throw away work pants that are made in the U.S anyways.

Make something solid enough and it doesn't need to be thrown away.

I've got some good stuff, and I know where to get more, but I wanted to try some different things, since a lot of designs have changed.

Weight and warmth aren't big issues for me. I like to see fabrics of this weight. If they last, I'm sure I'll be wearing them in the summer. Hell, I don't even take off my over-shirt unless the temperature climbs past 100.

I don't even own a pair of shorts, and the thinnest pants I have are these Columbia things I'm wearing now, which are rather thick by outdoor standards.

I got used to being stuffy and uncomfortable a long time ago. Now I feel strange if I'm not. I may be hot, but at least the sun isn't beating down on me.

Just like my Uncle taught me: When it gets hot, roll your sleeves up and drink water.:patriot:

Cheers,

Kennith

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
I have a pair that I've had for a while. They fit a little snugger than my Kuhls and run more along with the Mountain Khakis - at least that is my experience. The Duluth pants are certainly more of a work pant that don't have the fit of a "higher end" pant like Kuhl, etc. I feel like a tool just saying that. Damn.

I'm tight when it comes to reusing pants - I take them to the my local seamstress when I get holes in them to keep them going for another year and another................... My favorite currently are still Kuhl, but if I didn't get 50% all their stuff I am not sure I'd have the addiction I do. It's on par with Mountain Khaki I guess, but I've had better luck with them. Not as tough as some of the work focused pant, but I like them and spend a large percentage of my work and off days outside Bo and Luke Dukein' over fences, etc.

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
I have been happy with mine during the fall/winter months (when I'm stateside), I wasn't impressed with their lightweight version. Been wearing them for about 4-5 years, and def concur with the notion that they should have an NSN based off the way they feel. That's prob why I like them actually.

Jan 3, 2005
On Kennith's private island
I thought they were a lot lighter than I was expecting them to be. But the way they're made is better than I was expecting.

Size seems to run small. I wear a 36" waist and a 36" was a little snug for me. I had to get a 38" and wear a belt.

I would not wear these as everyday pants. These are good pants for when you're using a chainsaw (reports have shown them to stop a chainsaw chain to the leg) or general outdoor work. I do not see them as being a good carpenter pant or doing any work that requires a lot of bending down, etc... However, I could see the overalls being pretty nice for that.

Got a pair, like em, don't see a need for a second pair until these wear out.

May 6, 2006
Mtn Home, Idaho
www.cardomain.com
I do like their return policy! I sent back a pair of their fire hose pants and they refunded my money with no questions asked...then I bought something that was more my style from them. Thats probably one of the reasons I still shop there for most of my work clothes besides them making some good work pants.

Buddy

Nov 6, 2006
Central NC
Anybody try the duluthflex pants? Been thinking about trying some but not sure I want the flex or original. I like my MK's so holding they would be similar.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I saw a co-worker had ordered some, and I thought they look a little silly. If I wasn't the skinny jean wearing type, I'd go for some Fjällräven pants. I've got a few of their other products with the G-1000 fabric, and it is very durable. I also like the fact that you can wax it to make it more waterproof/windproof.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I saw a co-worker had ordered some, and I thought they look a little silly. If I wasn't the skinny jean wearing type, I'd go for some Fjällräven pants. I've got a few of their other products with the G-1000 fabric, and it is very durable. I also like the fact that you can wax it to make it more waterproof/windproof.

You can wax almost anything.

It doesn't have to be Fjallraven, Filson, or Barbour. The effect will be the same if you do a good job of it. Go wax your hipster jeans right now, and they'll be as waterproof as anything else.

Wax just works best on tight weaves, where you don't need to use very much.

Cheers,

Kennith

bigred

Apr 20, 2004
East Coast
www.hillbillytrailcrew.com
I have a pair that I've had for a while. They fit a little snugger than my Kuhls and run more along with the Mountain Khakis - at least that is my experience. The Duluth pants are certainly more of a work pant that don't have the fit of a "higher end" pant like Kuhl, etc. I feel like a tool just saying that. Damn.

I'm tight when it comes to reusing pants - I take them to the my local seamstress when I get holes in them to keep them going for another year and another................... My favorite currently are still Kuhl, but if I didn't get 50% all their stuff I am not sure I'd have the addiction I do. It's on par with Mountain Khaki I guess, but I've had better luck with them. Not as tough as some of the work focused pant, but I like them and spend a large percentage of my work and off days outside Bo and Luke Dukein' over fences, etc.

The real question is how you get 50% off Kuhl..

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
The real question is how you get 50% off Kuhl..

Pro deals aren't that hard to get. I'm on ProMotive as well, but not all the pro deals on that site are 100% legit. With Kuhl I just asked - and showed them a picture similar to that in your avatar. Kuhl seemed to blow up pretty quick. I see a huge percentage of the guys we work with/train wearing them, but much of that is issued/allowance. I have two pair I never wore that fit a little snug if somebody wants them cheap. 36x34.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
For the price point non washed double front carhartts are my go to. a couple pair last me a field season. Mountain khakis ccan't handle it but I like wearing them. I never order pants, I generally wear 32x30 but even with the bling mk's they have never made two pair that are the same. Must be the little kids inAsia being lazy

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I own a Carhartt jacket that I bought for working on Rovers outside, and I hate it. Its not warm and it fits me very poorly. Its as if they just make one sized sleeve for all of the jackets regardless of the size of the jacket. The jacket is also too short, but looks like I'm wearing a balloon. I'm pretty sure their jackets are for very fat people and the size only refers to the height of the person wearing it.

bigred

Apr 20, 2004
East Coast
Pro deals aren't that hard to get. I'm on ProMotive as well, but not all the pro deals on that site are 100% legit. With Kuhl I just asked - and showed them a picture similar to that in your avatar. Kuhl seemed to blow up pretty quick. I see a huge percentage of the guys we work with/train wearing them, but much of that is issued/allowance. I have two pair I never wore that fit a little snug if somebody wants them cheap. 36x34.

So, I just need to show them my avatar?
pm or email me about getting into your used pants.

bigred

Apr 20, 2004
East Coast
For the price point non washed double front carhartts are my go to. a couple pair last me a field season. Mountain khakis ccan't handle it but I like wearing them. I never order pants, I generally wear 32x30 but even with the bling mk's they have never made two pair that are the same. Must be the little kids inAsia being lazy

Thought it was just me. I have 5 pairs of MK that all fit totally differently.