Duluth Firehose pants

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
I'm pretty sure their jackets are for very fat people and the size only refers to the height of the person wearing it.

Bingo.

My coworker and i discuss this at least once per week. We are outdoor enthusiasts, and compare technical clothing to work clothing.

Work clothes are made from plywood or cardboard, whichever the manufacturer can find cheaper. Then they use the same lasts theyve used the previous 80 years. Then sew the slats together with twine. They insulate them with either yarn or r20 fiberglass sheets. Whatever you do dont raise your arms past your waist and your fine. Dont wear it in the rain or youll be cold and wet.
Basically dickies, carhartt, arborwear, etc survives on brand recognition....if you want to look the part then wear those brands. Its like the Snap On tool shows once per year. Unless youre wearing realtree head to toe, navy blue dickies head to toe, or Snap On freebies head to toe youre not a real mechanic youre a pussy.

If the 'working man' manufacturers added some spandex and gussets they would probably be great for work....but the run of the mill work clothing is almost the price of the lower end technical outdoor stuff. personally I wear carhartt multi pocket scrub bottoms for work. They're great. They are made from ripstop cotton and I've yet to rip them or rip pockets off. I like clothes to fit properly instead of hanging so if they were a little slimmer and had a bit of spandex they would be perfect.

In the past several years I think prana has the best pants, specifically the Bronson pants.

I remember years ago J.B. had a pair of those firehose pants. He seemed to always have a painful look on his face and never bent down to pick stuff up....he kinda threw himself on his back then rolled around, grabbed what he needed, then dragged himself over to a tree to pull himself up. Those pants looked real uncomfortable. Or he just learned after the first time you never bend over around Garrett.

years ago I stopped in the orvis store downtown and figured I'd try a pair of mountain khakis on to see what all the rave was. Unfortunately the smallest pair they had were 36" waist and the longest were 32". I guess the market is short fat guys? My mother in law got me a couple pair as a gift. The 34x34's fit terrible, so I gave them away.

I agree with Garrett regarding the fit of the kuhl pants. They fit great and are made for an athletic fit. Imagine that, an outdoor company not marketing to the fat guy looking for the urban fit but want to look like they hang out in the mountains? i think its the Ryder pants, very simple and the canvas is just the right amount of toughness.

Now if im doing physical work that requires minimal repetitious movement and I don't care if they get ruined the carhartt double knee bibs are the only way to go. If you want to get fancy get some sno seal and a hairdryer and go to town on that canvas.

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
I agree the bibs are the all out most comfortable as long as stretching is not involved.

We have came along way but in the end a good Scottish kilt is probably the best option with a nice man-purse.
skirt.JPG

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I remember years ago J.B. had a pair of those firehose pants. He seemed to always have a painful look on his face and never bent down to pick stuff up....he kinda threw himself on his back then rolled around, grabbed what he needed, then dragged himself over to a tree to pull himself up. Those pants looked real uncomfortable. Or he just learned after the first time you never bend over around Garrett.

I've found them quite comfortable, actually. That extra room in the crotch is nice. Getting down under the Rover the past couple of days for inspections was enlightening. Someone else has been underneath it recently, so I've been making sure everything is right. These pants are easy to move around in, with plenty of room and no tangling.

I also noticed (and I realize that this is not something most will have tried) that these pants don't require that slight little damage-prevention tug before taking certain stances or kicking. I can just stand there and throw as high a kick as I want, and my nuts aren't crushed, nor is my leg stopped by binding; no tug required.

That's a great illustration of design and overall flexibility. It sounds stupid, but someone else here is bound to be a martial artist. Try these fuckers out, and don't tug. You'll be wary at first, but I assure you, you won't end up in the hospital.

After a few people examined the fabric, they complained that it was too rough, heavy, and thick for their personal tastes.

I like it. As long as I'm hauling a bunch of cotton around everywhere I go, it may as well be thick enough for a bit of protection, and as durable as possible. We'll see how hard it is soon enough. I'm going to find myself some blackberry bushes tangled up with briers and take a walk. That always shows what's what where fabric is concerned.

I'm still not sure how I feel about them, but they do work as advertised. That extra room really is the business.

Cheers,

Kennith

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
If the 'working man' manufacturers added some spandex and gussets they would probably be great for work....but the run of the mill work clothing is almost the price of the lower end technical outdoor stuff. personally I wear carhartt multi pocket scrub bottoms for work. They're great. They are made from ripstop cotton and I've yet to rip them or rip pockets off. I like clothes to fit properly instead of hanging so if they were a little slimmer and had a bit of spandex they would be perfect.

In the past several years I think prana has the best pants, specifically the Bronson pants.

years ago I stopped in the orvis store downtown and figured I'd try a pair of mountain khakis on to see what all the rave was. Unfortunately the smallest pair they had were 36" waist and the longest were 32". I guess the market is short fat guys? My mother in law got me a couple pair as a gift. The 34x34's fit terrible, so I gave them away.

I agree with Garrett regarding the fit of the kuhl pants. They fit great and are made for an athletic fit. Imagine that, an outdoor company not marketing to the fat guy looking for the urban fit but want to look like they hang out in the mountains? i think its the Ryder pants, very simple and the canvas is just the right amount of toughness.

I agree on the Prana pants. I bought some Prana jeans on Zappos a while back and they are great. They have a gusseted crotch. They fit me better than anything else out there. At the other end of the weirdo sizing spectrum, a few years ago I went in to Nordstroms to get some new clothes. I tried on some 34"W jeans. When I pulled them on I was dumfounded. The waist was too big and the ass and legs were super tight, as in painted on tight. What kind of fat waisted, skinny legged people are out there? Is this some new hipster phenomenon?

Getting back to the outdoor companies marketing to fat guys, Mountain Hardware has gone there. I have a 46" chest and wear large shirts and jackets. The MH L jacket fits my shoulders just fine, but the stomach area can be pulled out about 12". Their sizing is purely designed for the fatsos. Arc'teryx actually fits well. Their jackets feel like they were tailored for me.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
For 13 years I've worn the same style Dickies knock-off navy blue pants, not jeans. My at-home work pants are whatever old jeans I have laying around. Usually a pair of my "going out" jeans first gets downgraded to "wheeling pants, and then again to "work pants.

I'm guessing you guys buying MK and PRana "work" pants that run $70-90 a pop aren't actually using them for work, but more the idea of all the work you COULD do while wearing them. My ACTUAL work pants get trashed. They're either full or mud or grease or whatever. They get snagged on things and need to be patched. Its not because they're made of parchment paper, but because they are used in real work. Ask a mechanic or someone in the Utilities industry what they wear and it won't be MK or Prana. Those pants are nice pants I'm sure, but IDK how much work actually gets done in them.
The pic on this page pretty much sums it up. http://www.mountainkhakis.com/products/men/pants/

My Carhartt bibs are great. The have lasted a hell of a long time and kept me warm in the coldest of nights. My only complaint is there should be a scuff patch on the inside of the pant legs at the bottom. Their Artic stuff is crazy warm. Great if you're just standing around, but you'll sweat your ass off the second you start moving. I only wear my Arctic Carhartt coat for ice fishing now.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Guess it depends on what you define "work" as. I would not wear the same pants to saw down trees as I would to do some sort of carpentry.

I would. It saves closet space, and you don't have to pack as much. I like things to work in all reasonable environments.

Short of chasing people around or landing in a black tie event, I like to be served by one kind of clothing; just worn differently in various environments, and in a reasonable selection of colors that all kind of go together in different ways.

I've got heavy shit and fancy shit, but I don't count that stuff.

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Getting back to the outdoor companies marketing to fat guys, Mountain Hardware has gone there. I have a 46" chest and wear large shirts and jackets. The MH L jacket fits my shoulders just fine, but the stomach area can be pulled out about 12". Their sizing is purely designed for the fatsos. Arc'teryx actually fits well. Their jackets feel like they were tailored for me.

I have the exact same problem, but I imagine I'm shorter than you.

Imagine what it's like trying to find shirts and jackets that fit a meaty top end for a 5'7" person that isn't fat. I've torn more shoulder stitching out than I can count because of my back and sides. They just don't consider that when these things are made.

I'm wearing a shirt right now with torn out shoulders, actually, because it's got nice freedom of movement now for the drive I'm about to take, so long as I don't try to button it.

I'm wearing large and extra large T shirts, depending on the manufacturer, which is a bit stupid given my height, but that's just what it takes. That's why I was so shocked at the size of that Duluth shirt-jac. It was way worse than anything else in the fat-man regard, which sucks, because the shoulders were very nice indeed.

Filson is actually pretty good about this stuff, though. My Filson shirts are tight, but they aren't going to rip any time soon, and they aren't as tight as other brands. They are also tailored for people that aren't fat.

Cheers,

Kennith

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
I'm guessing you guys buying MK and PRana "work" pants that run $70-90 a pop aren't actually using them for work, but more the idea of all the work you COULD do while wearing them. My ACTUAL work pants get trashed. They're either full or mud or grease or whatever. They get snagged on things and need to be patched. Its not because they're made of parchment paper, but because they are used in real work. Ask a mechanic or someone in the Utilities industry what they wear and it won't be MK or Prana. Those pants are nice pants I'm sure, but IDK how much work actually gets done in them.
The pic on this page pretty much sums it up. http://www.mountainkhakis.com/products/men/pants/

My Carhartt bibs are great. The have lasted a hell of a long time and kept me warm in the coldest of nights. My only complaint is there should be a scuff patch on the inside of the pant legs at the bottom. Their Artic stuff is crazy warm. Great if you're just standing around, but you'll sweat your ass off the second you start moving. I only wear my Arctic Carhartt coat for ice fishing now.

Like Kennith, I like having minimal everything. The prana Bronson pants are good for everything...everyday wear, wheeling, hiking, hell you can even climb in them. So $70 for a pair of pants I can wear 3 or 4 days in a row doing numerous tasks is a good value.

Unfortunately I'm a mechanic, and at work I wear scrubs, which are $25 per pair. Most people in the trades or blue collar industries wear dickies or carhartts because that's the market for those brands.

Dickies is starting to take notice and adding gusset crotches and spandex to their pants. Albeit in their hipster skinny pants...if my carhartt bibs had a gusset crotch and 2% spandex they would be the only pants I wear.

Figure you spend $60 for bibs, that's in the ballpark of a good comfortable pair of technical outdoor pants. Backcountry, steep and cheap, Sierra trading post, etc you can usually get pants for way less than carhartt bibs.

At the end of the day, I'll spend a little more to be comfortable. If you haven't tried them, the carhartt ripstop scrub pants are like wearing pajamas and I've yet to ruin a pair this past year. The carhartt work khakis are pretty tough as well but due to 'marketing' they are relaxed fit. To me relaxed fit is designed specifically for the guys who are a 36" waist but still believe they are a 34". Which is to say baggy.

Personally, I'm going to start wearing these
ylfpad-l.jpg

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
I have several Kuhl items that are great, but I like Patagonia Tenpenny pants. For dirty work I just use old pants or $10 walmart jeans.

"Comfortable, multifunction/all-season pants made of a lightweight, durable organic cotton/nylon blend with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish; articulated knees and a gusseted crotch allow for full range of motion; a more relaxed, movement-oriented fit for comfort and unconstrained movement in any work or play activity."

Jan 3, 2005
On Kennith's private island
I would. It saves closet space, and you don't have to pack as much. I like things to work in all reasonable environments.

Short of chasing people around or landing in a black tie event, I like to be served by one kind of clothing; just worn differently in various environments, and in a reasonable selection of colors that all kind of go together in different ways.

I've got heavy shit and fancy shit, but I don't count that stuff.

Cheers,

Kennith

One of your most recent dumbest posts.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I'm a mechanic, and like most mechanics, I wear Unifirst (or Cintas) uniform pants. For years I wore jeans until the manager started making us wear full uniforms. I would be embarrassed if I had to wear 'adventure pants' to work.

Some Dude

Feb 12, 2009
Boise, ID
Do any of these companies make something in a 36 or 38 length? It seems like MK, Kuhl, Prana, etc think the tallest people in the world are 6'2" and none of them make pants longer than 34. At 6'6" it's all Wranglers and Carhartts for me.