2000 Infiniti G20T Longish Term Impressions

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I've had it for a while now, and I like this little thing. Indeed, I'd say it's one of the best cars I've ever driven.

It's quick enough in a straight line for lots of fun without immediately losing your license, but corners are where it really shines. The interior is nice, the ride is comfortable, it has absolutely no understeer, and it'll show up some pretty serious cars on back roads if you know what you're doing. It's even got a limited slip differential.

...and yes, it drifts. It drifts very, very well. It's like somebody found a controller in the trunk and entered a cheat code. It's one of the easiest sport sedans to get into and drive. The clutch is easy, but not completely muted. If you have to drive a manual every day, this is as easy as a Miata.

It would be a good autocross alternative if you want something different.

Even the exhaust note is just the right amount of classy and aggressive. It sort of purrs aggressively around town, and growls just enough when you really climb the tachometer. It's got some bass to it. This is what all the ricers are trying to achieve, and it came this way from the factory.

The Bose speakers it comes with are actually good, so an aftermarket receiver is all you need to modernize if you're not obsessive about audio. I am indeed obsessive about audio, and it's good enough in here that I haven't bothered to mess with it beyond a receiver. If I ever do, it'll just be for fun. It's clean, clear, and kicks enough to be easily noticed outside, if that's your thing.

The car is getting a little better every day, but it's going to need some paint, as the previous owner liked to hit every cart in the parking lot, and every vehicle in front of him... Or behind him... Or above him, I'm half-tempted to suspect. :rofl:

It's never been in a serious collision, but it's collected enough bumps and bruises to look like it spent time in a city if you don't get the lighting just right in a picture.

If you ever wanted a small car that drives wonderfully and actually feels luxurious, you should really be looking one of these up. The prices are far lower than they should be.

It sucks that we can't have cars like this nowadays.

The silver lining is that this vehicle has 212,000 miles on the clock, and it doesn't feel old in the slightest. It's sharp as a tack. No rattles, no wishy-washy behavior, and even though the shocks do need replacing, the chassis is so damned good you can still tear up back roads all you want.

What that means is you can go out and buy one, and it'll probably be just fine. If this one still feels new...

I'm taking a few halfway decent pictures over the next few days because I figured I may as well send an e-mail to DeMuro. If he's ever in the area, I think he'd enjoy playing with it.

Cheers,

Kennith

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
I bought my ex-wife a 5-speed G20 way back when....it had to be about a '94 or 95 version. That was a very fun little car. I remember the clutch being incredibly light. And I remember the clutch cable snapping and driving it about 20 miles from my office in downtown Phoenix to the suburbs by starting it in 2nd and forcing it to 3rd when I got caught at a light. And I remember a crack head downtown offering to help me push start it, then trying to sell me a watch, then trying to steal my watch. Good times.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I bought my ex-wife a 5-speed G20 way back when....it had to be about a '94 or 95 version. That was a very fun little car. I remember the clutch being incredibly light. And I remember the clutch cable snapping and driving it about 20 miles from my office in downtown Phoenix to the suburbs by starting it in 2nd and forcing it to 3rd when I got caught at a light. And I remember a crack head downtown offering to help me push start it, then trying to sell me a watch, then trying to steal my watch. Good times.

What do you mean "trying"? I've still got that watch. The Marlboro Man is pointing at 9:37 right now. :D

The P11 has a hydraulic clutch, so no crack-heads with a later model like the 2000. I think it looks a little better from some angles than the earlier unit. The downside is obviously emissions testing, but that just saves you money by keeping you out of the engine. :rofl:

Tire choices are limited on stock wheels, and wheel choices are highly limited on those hubs, but there is a company making replacement hubs with five lugs. I will be doing that and moving to 17" wheels at some point fairly soon. I'd wait, but with my luck they'd stop making them, and I'd have to do it the hard way.

These never got cleaned, so it's either blast and powder coat or just replace them with something that updates the look a bit. I'll swap out for JDM headlights, as well. Beyond a lick of a slightly more modern silver paint, that's probably all I'm going to do cosmetically.

I like the wheels well enough, but I just want better tire choices.

Cheers,

Kennith