Atlana on wheels Discovery

Roverclassix

Dec 10, 2017
DC
I stumbled on a website, Atlanta on Wheels, that sells refurbished Discoveries. Before I contact them, has anyone bought from them? Any good/bad experiences?

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
I’ll sell you once for half the price they are and throw in black painted wheels at no cost!

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
Is this the place that advertises a barrage of D2's with ARB bumpers and roof racks and a bunch of lights on ebay for ridiculous prices?

JackW

Mar 17, 2005
I've known one of the owners for almost 40 years - Jay Farlow
He used to work at a number of car dealers as a salesman including Sterling and Mercedes Benz. He was a great Mercedes salesman and sold cars to my mother and several good friends.
He's a good guy but I've never bought a used car from him so I don't know what his Discoverys are like.
I stopped by his shop a year or more ago and they were buying a lot of D1's and D2's.
He had a crew of mechanics taking the engines out and pinning the cylinder liners and fixing some of the other known issues (interiors, headliners, etc.) They have done a lot of cars and Jay says good D-1's are getting really hard to find - even good D2's.

He had a nice 5-spd green 94 D1 I asked about and he quoted a price that was too rich for me but it was a nice truck.

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
Those crazy priced D2's on Ebay with the cheap Harbor Freight axe/shovel, and cheap gas cans are from Houston, TX. Some of the D2's they get a clean, but 3 times the price = no thanks. Whenever I see high priced D2's the first thing I look at is the shifter boot & ebrake boot. If they can't even replace those = what else have they been cheap on.... I stick with my CL finds and just know what to look for.

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
$18K can get you a low mileage L322 Range Rover. No D2 is worth that kind of money.

Anything is worth exactly what people are willing to pay for it...

I would agree that to you and I the pricing is not correct but someone will likely pay that or something close or the company will go out of business.

SMLE

Aug 21, 2014
GA
I can say that when I was in the market here in the Atlanta area for one last year after my '04 got totaled by an idiot doing a U-turn, I was always one step behind somebody buying up all the local D2's with bad engines...

Really got me irritated. I had a good engine from my wrecked Rover, but couldn't find a decently priced body to put it in because of a single entity that kept snapping them up. Wondered who it was.

Finally found one that had not already been sold to a shop and made arrangements to pick it up the next day, but when I called the owner to tell him I was hitting the road, he said he sold it to a shop that morning for more than he had asked...

Drillbit

Oct 12, 2005
Glasgow Ky
I would not pay what they are asking for D2's. Nor would I pay 15 grand for a clean 95 RRC or 50 grand for a D90. That doesn't mean they are bad deals. If you bought a rough D2 and paid someone to rebuild the motor and pin the sleeves and do all the other crap they are doing I think you would be closer to the prices they are asking than you think. If the quality of their work is good I think there is a place for them in the market.

JUKE179r

Sep 14, 2016
Suffolkshire, UK
I appreciate the comments but has anyone actually bought a truck from them?

I bought my Disco from Jay and Calvin at Atlanta on Wheels 2 years ago. I told them what I was specifically looking for in a Disco and my price range.
They found me a 2001 Disco 2 SE from California (NO RUST!!!!) and low miles (78K) shipped to Georgia. Plus it had a 2" lift with OME shocks, tank/steering/diff covers, side rails, aftermarket steel rims, front & rear steel bumpers with a WARN winch for $7K.
I'm still impressed with my Disco.

Last edited:

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I bought my Disco from Jay and Calvin at Atlanta on Wheels 2 years ago. I told them what I was specifically looking for in a Disco and my price range.
They found me a 2001 Disco 2 SE from California (NO RUST!!!!) and low miles (78K) shipped to Georgia. Plus it had a 2" lift with OME shocks, tank/steering/diff covers, side rails, NATO rims, front & rear steel bumpers with a WARN winch for $7K.
I'm still impressed with my Disco.

Except that actual NATO wheels only fit D1, D90..etc and not a D2. So you probably just have regular steel wheels.

YellowIron

Jan 28, 2018
Michigan
$18K can get you a low mileage L322 Range Rover. No D2 is worth that kind of money.

I can get one of those that needs pistons for $5K. So what?

Don't gloat as you talk down the value of a good vehicle. Just because you don't have 18K to spend doesn't mean you need to disparage good vehicles.

Your website has a donate tab. I'll contribute. Just please tell me how cheap and unimportant those dollars are before I do. As worthless and overpriced as Atlanta's product offerings?

3600 posts here, asking for donations online, and shit talking truck values. Tisk Tisk. Do those $100 dog tags on your site qualify as a charity contribution to your 501c3?

I am just dying for handcrafted dog tags to go with my $18K disco. That would be as wonderful as an enterprise disguised as a charity. $100 dog tags, organic wood, tax free. Mmmmmmm. I wish I could skirt the tax man every time I dig and truck out contaminated soil. Maybe I need to find more oil barrels and sell more $30 bird hats to hipsters. And never pay taxes.