WTT Third Members w/ Stock Gears

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I just bought a D1 that has 4:11 gears with a Detroit locker in the rear and a Trutrac up front. I would like to trade for the same setup but with stock gears as I am going to put smaller tires on it. I'm not interested in selling as Detroit lockers are NLA for a D1.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Jimmy,

I have a third with a Detroit and stock gears. Detroit was brand new but I feel like I need to take the 3rd apart and at least check the Detroit's condition - a friend installed it in his D1, and it made ratcheting noises while going straight.

I'd swap my stock thirds in the Classic or D1 with yours; have a brand new front TT separately sitting on the shelf.

CleanD

Sep 10, 2008
Pasadena,CA
I am in Los Angeles and will make that trade. I have Detroit rear, truetrac front with stock gears. They are currently in the D1 so I would have to pull them.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I've got stock in my garage. I'll send you my R&P and you send me yours?

No thanks, if I were to go that route I'd probably just sell the gears on their own. I was trying to avoid paying someone to setup the diff which is why I wanted to trade.

I am in Los Angeles and will make that trade. I have Detroit rear, truetrac front with stock gears. They are currently in the D1 so I would have to pull them.

Lets do it. Sending you a PM.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
No thanks, if I were to go that route I'd probably just sell the gears on their own. I was trying to avoid paying someone to setup the diff which is why I wanted to trade.

Lets do it. Sending you a PM.
Gotcha, makes sense. I also have have a TruTrac front and Detroit rear on stock gears in my D1. If CleanD falls through LMK.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles

I see you've already solved the problem, but why not set up the gears yourself? I've always done my own with a magnetic digital indicator that I bought at Harbor Freight for about 30 bucks. There's no magic in the process.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I see you've already solved the problem, but why not set up the gears yourself? I've always done my own with a magnetic digital indicator that I bought at Harbor Freight for about 30 bucks. There's no magic in the process.

Meh, I'd rather pay someone who is skilled at setting up gears than do it myself. Same goes for rebuilding a DC driveshaft. I certainly can do it, but I think it makes more sense to me to pay someone else to do it.