LT230 - Quality US Vendor?

_ExpeditionMan

Dec 11, 2017
Texas
All,

Is there a reputable company located in the US who provides quality refurbished LT230s? I'm familiar with Ashcroft, but would prefer not to pay the shipping from England and forfeit a core charge. Anyone have experience with a specific vendor and was happy with the results?

Thanks.

jprover2

Apr 8, 2017
Birmingham,Al
Try toddcosuspensions also.

If you can get them to respond...I have called several times and never had any one answer. What happens when you do have a phone call answered, are we suppose to send money to someone because they have a web site and a few keyboard mechanics have heard of them. I would like to know of people who've used their services, and their thoughts on quality, communication, and how fast shipping was. By the way the LT 230 is tough as hell, you can purchase a used unit, reseal, test the sensors and connectors, and usually roll on with no worry

Swedjen2

Sep 12, 2018
California
That's a good question, but becuase I wanted their torque biasing center diff. for the LT230, I ended up getting an Ashcroft.

So what would it cost to ship a LT230 to and from new Mexico? LT230s are pretty stout. Biggest issue I see are leaks.

I wouldn't expect it to be too much, Marty used to ship me transmissions via UPS and FedEx frequently. I can't think an LT-230 would weigh any more than an R-380.

As for who to have do the work, Rob Dassler is the only person I have ever used for transfer cases and the only one I would and will in the future.

Swedjen2

Sep 12, 2018
California
That's New Mexico, not new Mexico. You know, the state made famous by Walter White.
If ptschram has given Rob the seal of approval, that pretty much settles it.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Not an LT230, but when I was looking at R380's it was cheaper to get one from Ashcroft or Synchro Gearboxes(including shipping and lost core) than to have one rebuilt by Rob.
And from what I recall the LT230 is considerably heavier than the R380.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
That's a good question, but becuase I wanted their torque biasing center diff. for the LT230, I ended up getting an Ashcroft.

Good to see another ATB enthusiast.

Quaife makes one, as well. I've been wanting to pick that up for a while to match the front and rear differentials, but that's an expensive installation that may as well include a few modifications and a full rebuild at the same time; and right now I've still got some other issues to chase.

The Ashcroft units are commissioned Asian copies of the Quaife, but they're supposed to be as close to identical as possible. These vehicles are absolute monsters with ATBs fitted. 90% of a locker 100% of the time, and you can get that 10% back with your left foot or a lack of Amigos.

Rock-hopping enthusiasts will do better with a locker, as they've typically built the vehicle specifically for that purpose, but for many genuine overland purposes, the vast majority of trails, and on the road, ATBs are the cat's ass; and there's nothing extra to maintain or break.

Just lube them like a factory unit and forget the things. I'm sure it happens, but I've never personally observed one breaking or becoming "worn out".

For those unfamiliar with these devices, they're kind of like a balls-deep, "Super Trutrac". I'm excited to get that center in there some day, as I've driven vehicles equipped with three, and it's very nice. The fact that you can still lock the center differential if you ever need to is a nice cherry on top.

Cheers,

Kennith