1995 Custom DI Truggy

Buddy

Nov 6, 2006
Central NC
I've been toying with the idea of selling my DI Truggy. This is probably the wrong audience for it but, I figured I'd throw this out there and see what happens anyway.

This is not your typical Discovery build. It is a highly modified and everything has been custom built from the ground up. I know there are a few other DI's that have been built to this level but I've not seen one in person and I'm not aware of one on the east coast.

The truck is a 1995 Land Rover Discovery which has around 170k miles on it. It was originally green but has been painted white.

Engine is a GEMS 4.0 block out of a later model truck and has been converted to 14CUX. The engine runs great and is one of the strongest Rover V8?s I've owned.

Suspension is a custom front 3-Link with 12" Fox coilovers and the rear is custom linked with coil springs and 14" Bilstein 7100's.

Axles are Custom 609's with Spidertrax fabricated housings, Ford 9" nodular iron cases and Ruff Stuff pinion guards. The front has a 35 spline ARB air locker, 5.29 gears, Ford D60 king pin knuckles and Reid Racing inner C's. The rear has a 35 spline Yukon Grizzly, 5.29 gears, Moser axles and modified rover outers. Both axles use the Rover 5x6.5" lug pattern.

Steering has all custom HD links and hydro assist steering with a PSC Ram. It will turns the 37" tires in the rocks with no issues.

Drivetrain is a Rover ZF transmission and LT230 transfer case. Custom front and rear HD DC drive shafts. 1310 U-joints at the front axle, and TC flanges with a 1350 at the rear axle.

Wheels and tires are Trail Ready 17x8.5" beadlocks, 5x6.5 lug pattern with almost new 37x12.50-17R Pitbull Rockers. The tires only have three wheeling trips on them with less than 100 miles on pavement.

It has a chopped roof and full roll cage. The roll cage built by Kevin's Customs and Off Road in NC and is tied into the frame. The rear of the frame has been chopped and custom tube structure built to improve the departure angle. It also has a custom built front bumper with winch mount.

The fuel tank was replaced with a Goat Built fuel tank kit with a GM sending unit.

Front seats are PRP Racing suspension seats with PRP 5-3 harnesses. Rear seat is a Best Top Jeep CJ back seat.

There are lots of other small items and details but those are the highlights.

The truck is located in Knightdale NC. Asking 20,000. I know this is stupid high for a DI. But that does not even cover the parts to build this thing yet alone the labor. So, if you're the guy who wants to have the most unique ride in your group. Then this might be the truck for you.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
I'd seriously submit that one to Bring A Trailer. If they won't let you set a high reserve for it, walk, but they might given the uniquness of the build.

But you'd have to take about 125 more photos and write up detail to wet their whistle.

proper4wd

Jun 11, 2015
boston
bring a trailer would want nothing to do with this. its just a crappy old rock crawler. these are dime a dozen in california. fair price is, new cost of the axles and coilovers divided by 2. the truck they are attached to is worthless.

now that i've insulted your crappy rock crawler i want to see pictures of the front hubs and brakes with the 5x6.5 pattern.

Buddy

Nov 6, 2006
Central NC
now that i've insulted your crappy rock crawler i want to see pictures of the front hubs and brakes with the 5x6.5 pattern.

They are 8x6.5 redrilled to 5x6.5. There was a thread on this on either D90 or Pirate back in the day. I would take pictures for you but since you've already made it clear you're not in the market....:flipoff2:

lunchbox

Apr 20, 2004
St Louis, MO
Spidertracks 609 build on Pirate has a very detailed writeup. I had a spreadsheet for those axles when built. I can’t find it now. I think they were damn close to your asking price. I think the wheels were $1700.

roverover

Feb 27, 2005
Lancaster PA
www.UsedLandRoverParts.com
bring a trailer would want nothing to do with this. its just a crappy old rock crawler. these are dime a dozen in california. fair price is, new cost of the axles and coilovers divided by 2. the truck they are attached to is worthless.

Spoken like a true Masshole

Send me links of these 1/2 price Crawlers I'm in the Market

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
This one is half the price and has three times the wheels and tires. https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/off-road-smasher-rock-crawler/6739814844.html Or really step up your game and get a 10th place KoH finisher. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/king-of-the-hammers-car/6725705595.html

I don't know if I'd say these are a dime a dozen. There are some really cheap garbage ones out here in CA for under $10k. This Disco one seems like it's at least still road legal and has similar axle builds to a lot of the ones for sale for similar prices.