True xd?

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Its hard to navigate that shitty mobile website, but I see roof rails and black doors with a cheap repaint. Its also a 94, don?t believe that existed

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Lots of things missing that would make it a true XD. Starting with:

wrong rack (should be low profile SD)
wrong wheels (should be black)
wrong interior (should have cloth seats with covers)
missing the fire extinguisher and tools
interior of doors are a giveaway

I spent a couple days with a genuine XD for a magazine feature and got to know it up close. The one in this ad is missing a lot of key elements. VIN will verify.

If this was a real XD I don't think it would have sat for sale for 1+ month and the seller could get a higher price (not on Discoweb, obviously), failing fuel pump and all.

usmcxd

Nov 13, 2011
Oceanside, ca
It's more of a sanity check...it Looked like it started out green. I called the guy out on it and he got all pissy. I also found a g4 orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-land-rover-g4/6493371106.html
It's out if my price range but might interest someone here.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
It's more of a sanity check...it Looked like it started out green. I called the guy out on it and he got all pissy. I also found a g4 orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-land-rover-g4/6493371106.html

People do that shit all the time. He might not even know what he has. If a dirtbag wholesaler finds out that the XD trim level brings the most money that's what they have. They couldn't tell you what an XD should be, but that's what they have.

pdXDisco97

Dec 6, 2011
Oregon
Most definitely not an XD, or a TReK. Besides the year (TReK/ECO were 1996, XD were 1997) check the inside doors; they're either black or green, but it's hard to tell. They should be yellow. Bright, AA yellow.

Roof racks, wheels, running boards, "kit" can all be added/removed over the years. Paint is a bit harder to replicate.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
They should be yellow. Bright, AA yellow.

As a public service would you mind posting a photo of the inside of your XD's doors for comparison? This will be a helpful point of reference in the future when the next yahoo tries to pass off a restored 99 as an XD.

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
That's for sale near me. I've seen it up for sale for quite awhile. My friend spoke to the guy about it and offered him less. Obviously not an XD.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I also found a g4 orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-land-rover-g4/6493371106.html

That looks fake too unless they just pulled off the decals. It is hard to tell from the pics, but those seats look like leather and I think the G4 had duragrain seats with no armrests. I also thought all G4 trucks were 2004, not 2003. The fact that it doesn't have any of the factory badges on the exterior would lead me to believe it has had a crappy respray.

pdXDisco97

Dec 6, 2011
Oregon
As a public service would you mind posting a photo of the inside of your XD's doors for comparison? This will be a helpful point of reference in the future when the next yahoo tries to pass off a restored 99 as an XD.

Absolutely, here you go.

dwutuThdGCQeHjKHlxf_rT8ztKQj7K7w5538RwSny0DGCgG8IdYZ6Ur0HR6_4FPJjnfzTjqI9kUuldMbtYK0c1PUwnSkYNmlbr_keyax5kseVF80xv8jkQ_i8AiOa8GWpKCX8PkdZIkwmc3rtDz8NR4LwuCBSJWS2rwMBzdHOUhxraH9UPBLJUYvZS9NfzufqDwXLK7y9vdg5XgtxXoIaMX1P7PyhedRDpjAtIB6qJf6rIDc1_pasLaXmrBqLB2PI0ERZZHWyGXf9Vf9KV1T-xPyl8DXJOIMmD37_IRh_L0KrbDMVirOrjA15Y-Dyyt93IGeRmROxQmVOOxPmly3yVUnKK56KKNCwhzDIgE8fPOqoeyex5-5-NJHRDKDVDsHQlKnnYnobTTMlhZsHAAwBnZ6VODIdg_fKFLDOJEYi1v-_nmjRLUUflGijVeJvTElFfkcz_RGtGB1nAuWE3XhnA1oBDLeOhZr4sxoUCYHb_5j3MWls0nnuMtO4OnQL2bv-j9lLY2lNUiaJnwJp-kE0dPEIjtZ849tYRt-Wu5wdwCIWZczP0VnBxUkMQzzYzJNp-0YwSiukOfGXB6hMuB_7wsOLUA1fXBkKlY0WT_u=w471-h627-no

AJpHFoByct3i-v57foVARUYMxdpS0ibvjp_D8sN_sU0Jm03w4glRESlTrcmslQWmRVRFEOBht_nVo8PRJ0nUNBJZyNhlb9-2iWioZ2xzGFiAElMjJoHgU9JPaki1nYDrMHEgzSndXR87OqmP3yvQk0VfPJ8oVtxXeSl5uQNIP1qO3z-kVS73b6hmLkdPmMh6QYS6Q3t56PNmx3TSu-bo-D5tn9cDy7zfbjggVe2VM1yCAKEu6W3pcgMotpX2-oLd958lnR3OMhyniRE8KKd3ojNPrIGoXWKoW874crv-_xjXTny0ze6uIXgMhtT3Rx2MXSnGhx3Hwhi8JysZR8qHZHfD1wXyhh2eVPLq8oLdTc0EXX-GAATiHkRx-uCK-bk-lAHQFSE2E5pvo4pT_rxFf4j8tNb-o-XO-v8oS66hejLyZbw3IeGMHg_FzsFQoRymrjuw4DnLz9kzwRYKz4o5S-rM97KiEL-fRKwWQd7rKlAKj5fWgpyHfF-rEN7BmcCmexpeJo7tvjPIlUjNVWkoutaTJam7X44XyBJsBHVaLrPfU89Hrb3cqcUzfzVfmGE-gJ2DAhHZKV1DMQZ0-6-mzdnS7uStfjNFJm_poY3s=w471-h627-no

Last edited:

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Most definitely not an XD, or a TReK. Besides the year (TReK/ECO were 1996, XD were 1997) check the inside doors; they're either black or green, but it's hard to tell. They should be yellow. Bright, AA yellow.

Roof racks, wheels, running boards, "kit" can all be added/removed over the years. Paint is a bit harder to replicate.

You seem to know a lot about these XDs so let me ask you a question or 2. I did some work on a truck a while back that was grey in color, had cloth seats, and per the vin was an XD. Everything I know about these trucks tells me it was not an XD but the vin said otherwise. You could say someone switched out the vin plate in the dash, but they also would have had to switch out all the other door jam stickers and what have you. What do you think I was looking at?

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
You seem to know a lot about these XDs so let me ask you a question or 2. I did some work on a truck a while back that was grey in color, had cloth seats, and per the vin was an XD. Everything I know about these trucks tells me it was not an XD but the vin said otherwise. You could say someone switched out the vin plate in the dash, but they also would have had to switch out all the other door jam stickers and what have you. What do you think I was looking at?

XD or Kalahari? The Kalahari came in yellow, white, and (I think) grey.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Never saw a grey Kalahari, that would be interesting.

Okay I don't think I made it up.

Interestingly, Land Rover?s original announcement for the vehicle at the 2001 New York Auto show called for 150 Borrego Yellow versions to be built, however by the time production ended, the Kalahari was also offered in a not-often-seen white and grey, amounting to 300 in total.

-Source

pdXDisco97

Dec 6, 2011
Oregon

Well, I did write an article about them, so you could say I know a thing or two... lol.

Not sure why you found a grey XD, but it's possible that it was a re-paint (I've seen at least one XD that got resprayed green...). Or, as mentioned the Kalahari D2 (which was the ONLY other Disco sold in AA Yellow) does get confused with the XD some times.

XD D1:

lrsale3.jpg

Kalahari D2:

kalahari-edition-an-02-land-rover-that-begs-for-adventure.jpg

Just a bit similar, eh?

I'm also not an expert in VIN decoding, so I don't know if it's possible that the VIN is messed up?

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Those trucks are great. Isn't there a registry for the XDs ? I think in the end those will be the ultimate Disco to have. How many miles does the XD have on it?

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Grey Kalaharis seem to be the most rare, or at least hard to track down pictures of, but here's a nice example. They are very dark grey, so almost black.

https://expeditionportal.com/the-kalahari-discovery/

That doesn't look like a Kalahari to me. If you look under the hood, it appears to have been a white Discovery that was poorly repainted. The Kalaharis I have seen had grey two-tone interior, but that one looks beige. they also didn't have armrests. A Kalahari should also have a Saudi spec grill. Figures the ExPo crowd would be all about it.