Disco trans.

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Physically, it will fit. You will need the appropriate torque converter for the 24 and the correct ECU for the tranny.

I don't know if the wiring looms are different, but you may find they will be. I'd start with RAVE for the wiring schematics and do something like a pin to pin comparison for a wire count of both models and take it from there.

boulder4x4

Sep 17, 2017
Colorado
I will need a different ECU even though its still a DII?

I thought I could just throw it in and drive off into the sunset....

Swedjen2

Sep 12, 2018
California
The HP 22 is a down grade from the 24. According to the ZF website, the 22 is rated to 258 ft/lbs and the 24 is rated to 331 ft/lbs.
Sice your 4.6 has 300 ft/lbs of torque,the 24 is the one you should have installed.
Ashcroft has good information on the differences and upgrades from the 22 to the 24.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Pump length is different, brackets are different to accommodate the 1/2” longer pump . Axle housings are different to keep the pinion angles correct.

boulder4x4

Sep 17, 2017
Colorado
Ok, so here is the deal... I pulled a hp22 from my friends rover but I know now it will not work. So do I rebuild the hp24 that is on my garage floor that only has reverse or get one from a junkyard and just put it in and drive it till it breaks?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I can't tell you exactly what to do in this case, but your situation sounds like a classic case of whatever choice you make, it will be the wrong one. Good luck.

pdogg

Jul 18, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
This is interesting information, so everyone who dropped a 4.6 in their pre-03 truck is sitting on a ticking time bomb? I'd say unlikely as we typically don't drive these trucks like BMWs...

boulder4x4

Sep 17, 2017
Colorado
Anyone have trans problems with their 4.6 in a pre 03? I would like to know... I do wheel my Disco but nothing hard. Maybe I just put the HP22 in and see what happens. But what to do about the mounts? aren't they different? PDOGG I agree about the rebuilt trans but I like the price of a junkyard one better.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I agree about the rebuilt trans but I like the price of a junkyard one better.

Why don't you ask around a bit? Sometimes Will Tillery or Marty's successors get in trucks with recently upgraded or rebuilt parts. Maybe check with some of the places that do diesel conversions - they must do something with the ZFs they take out to replace with R380s.

Leadvagas

Jun 10, 2010
Leadville CO
Check with Matt at Roadside Werx in Lakewood, while he is predominantly a Defender guy he parts Discos and P38’s etc. And he is a lot closer than Will.