TV Streaming Devices

pdxrovermech

Jul 3, 2009
Portland, OR
we have AppleTV with DirectTV Now. It works ok. The DirectTV Now app tends to have a lot of hiccups, but I have no problem streaming when using the Netflix or Prime apps. At our vacation spot we use a firestick and I can create a hotspot with my phone and stream with no problem.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
How would one accomplish this?
Get a FREE WiFi tool program like WiFi Analyzer (Windows Store) or inSIDDer (this has got way more bells and whistles than you'll need). Doesn't really matter what you get - just get one that shows the frequencies and is free.

When you run it, have it scan the 5 Ghz (not to be confused with cellular 5G) frequencies. You should see your WiFi router pop up and the range of the freq it is covering (it's a spread - when you set the channel on the router it's the number the spread is centered around).

If no one else is overlapping you (like neighbors), you're good to go. If there are other signals, then log in to your router, select the 5Ghz options and change the channel to an open area.

Example:
wifi-analyzer-example.jpg

If you are the Bruce-home (currently set to ch 4), you'll want to change it to channel 12 or 13.