A simple DWEB Observation...

C Ross

Aug 24, 2004
Oklahoma
Avatar looks like you moved on to the "Porsche experience" :D

The Cayenne was a company truck and it was fun...under warranty.

I have enjoyed the Rover experience by owning a lot of fun/unique rovers. I'll likely own another Rover after my kids graduate from college.

C Ross
"D90_fan"

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I just like to argue.

Oh, and yeah-this forum isn't dead. It just has peaks but the tech-as Blue notes-has been discussed ad nauseum. I used it all the time as a reference for my D1 but now having owned one for most of the past 13yrs off/on there isn't much that I haven't had to do or seen done (and found help here).

We could see more traffic in the newer models (LR3/D3) but that doesn't seem to have resonated, yet.
r-
Ray

I'm also in the camp that simply likes to argue on the net.

I'm always more interested in general bullshit sections of forums than the actual forum purpose, and to be fair there are many members who can answer certain technical questions more quickly and accurately. They've just had to repair different Rovers more often than I have.

Who wants to listen to the guy that's done three or four head gasket jobs when there's a guy right in front of him that's done twenty?

If I remember to check, and I spot something that's really more in my own wheelhouse than anyone else, I'll contribute what I can; but I don't really feel the need to be the tenth person in a thread to tell someone how to do something.

Cheers,

Kennith

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Who wants to listen to the guy that's done three or four head gasket jobs when there's a guy right in front of him that's done twenty?
Let's draw a distinction between an honest guy who's done twenty from a "regular" guy who's done twenty.

Even then, I would argue that a shade-tree mechanic with a different full-time job has (a) slightly more time to do the job, and (b) more incentive to do it right.

This is not to cast any shadow on people who do it for a living - it's just the priorities are different. If I were to do every head gasket job so it would last for, say, five years and sixty thousand miles, and never have a dissatisfied customer, I'd be losing money on every one of them.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Let's draw a distinction between an honest guy who's done twenty from a "regular" guy who's done twenty.

Even then, I would argue that a shade-tree mechanic with a different full-time job has (a) slightly more time to do the job, and (b) more incentive to do it right.

This is not to cast any shadow on people who do it for a living - it's just the priorities are different. If I were to do every head gasket job so it would last for, say, five years and sixty thousand miles, and never have a dissatisfied customer, I'd be losing money on every one of them.

This is actually very true. For example, when I am doing a head gasket job, I don't remove the fuel rail or injectors to access the intake bolts. Since I don't remove the injectors, I don't replace the o-rings. I've never had one come back leaking, but it could happen. If the customer declines machine work on the cylinder heads, I don't remove the exhaust manifolds from the heads. Part of this is saving time, but the other part is preventing potential nightmares. DII fuel injectors tend to crack, so if you remove them, you risk breaking them, which costs the customer more money. On the older trucks, when you remove the exhaust manifolds, they tend to warp and the bolt holes don't line up with the holes in the head.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I have a pile of these manifolds in the garage - can they be machined?

They don't warp on the gasket surface, they seem to shrink towards the middle cylinders so the bolts don't line back up. Manifolds are so plentiful, so any repair is probably a waste of money. If they aren't that bad, I've taken a diamond burr bit on a die grinder and elongated the holes so that the bolts line up.

It seems to me that this only happens with 14CUX trucks. I've never had this happen on a DII. I've done fewer than 5 GEMS trucks, so I can't speak on those.

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2005
Thanks - I'll give them another go. I do have a faint exhaust tick on my GEMS D1 - can't even figure out where it comes from.

I wonder if baby powder sprinkled on the manifold and pipe would tell you.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I wonder if baby powder sprinkled on the manifold and pipe would tell you.

We actually have to check exhaust systems for leaks but it's a little easier than you would think. If you have a smoke machine and an expandable plug that would fit your tailpipe you can smoke it for leaks.

If not its still pretty easy. I take a fender cover or a few rags and I put a long blow gun in the tailpipe then seal it up by pushing the rags into the tailpipe around the blow gun. Have someone blow air into the exhaust and spray down the manifold area with soapy water. If you have a leak up there it will bubble out.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Thanks - I'll give them another go. I do have a faint exhaust tick on my GEMS D1 - can't even figure out where it comes from.

BTW, another tech mentioned to me that you can get an exhaust manifold spreader. That might be worth looking into.

As Stew said, a smoke machine is the easiest way to find the leak.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina

Yeah, I'll have to give you that one.

Cheers,

Kennith