Cross member

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
I once briefly drove my DII without the front cross-member in place. I could immediately feel the difference. Wouldn't do it again.

You must be more sensitive than I am. I removed mine on my last 3 D2's, and haven't noticed any difference, even with significant off-road use.

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
Some people just add spacers to the cross member.

Might as well put the D2 back at the stock height as lowering that thing will cause it to get caught on just about any moderate trail out there.

I used to drag my turtle shell on my TJ/LJ until I did a tummy tuck and with the 4spd auto the silly skid plate would catch on just about anything (mounted in front of the main skid/turtle shell). I did a motor mount lift, 3/4 body lift, and gave the skid plate to the museum, and with the beautiful aluminum 2inch shorter main skid (aka turtle shell) I never got stuck on stuff again.

With the D2 I tossed it vs spacers and I've never experienced any difference across the 6 D2's I've removed it on lifted or stock.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Might as well put the D2 back at the stock height as lowering that thing will cause it to get caught on just about any moderate trail out there.

The cross member spacers I had from RTE were probably less than an inch. I never had a problem getting hung up on that.

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
The cross member spacers I had from RTE were probably less than an inch. I never had a problem getting hung up on that.

Yeah those would have been fine for clearance off road. The ones I had found back when I was first messing with D2's and lifts were like 1.5inches thick.

Jeff Blake

May 6, 2016
Pacific Beach, San Diego
Yeah those would have been fine for clearance off road. The ones I had found back when I was first messing with D2's and lifts were like 1.5inches thick.

Yeah I have them, they're at least 2 or 3 inches thick, but I needed every inch to clear the driveshaft. At full drop, it still touches. I'm inspired now to go remove my cross member this weekend. Front sway is getting the axe too.

best4x4

Mar 1, 2015
Beaumont, TX
Yep I ditched it & never looked back. I drive my D2's on/off road and they all feel exactly the same as they did before. In good old TX we can go 80MPH and my D2's handle excellent on the highway.

gthphotography

Aug 27, 2008
chicago
www.greghanrahan.com
You can turn it 45 degrees and tilt it out. If the frame is jacked up on the Driver Side. (to the point the wheel begins to come off the ground)
IF you dont want to spend time finding the right spot Jimmy's Idea is a rather quick route as well.

OMG. That is so the way to do this. I couldn't get the pan back so I jacked up the drivers side and there was all this room. Thank you. Best idea yet.