06 LR3 fuel gauge

jgdisco2

Feb 24, 2006
Goldsboro, NC
So my fuel gauge has failed, I am assuming its one of the sending units in the tank. Research shows two of them in the tank, anyway to tell which one before going in too deep? How hard of a task is this to do myself?

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
As far as fuel tanks go it's really not that bad. But I would want to have a lift and a trans jack. Also you will need the tool for turning the lock ring. I've worked on a lot of fuel tanks you could get the ring into position with a hammer and screwdriver. Not this one.

If you do the job I would recommend replacing both sensors and the flange. The flange is the part that goes into the hole and everything passes thru.

HoodyLR3

Sep 18, 2016
Hawaii
I zero out my 2005 LR3 and fill up at 180 miles... please list prices of materials and how hard it is if you continue so I may follow your path

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
You can check the senders using the live data feature if you have some form of diagnostic tool. The other way to test them would be to pull them out of the tank and measure the resistance readings of each of them. I would replace both of them if it were my truck.

jgdisco2

Feb 24, 2006
Goldsboro, NC
I had the codes read last week before Uwharrie, its sending unit 2, the guys(indy rover shop in NC) told me that they were not replaced but I had to replace the whole tank, for $1700?!?!

I don't understand how I can buy the sending units all day long individually but yet they aren't replaceable?

I definitely want to replace both if I am going to drop the tank, is it worth changing the fuel pump as well?

Drillbit

Oct 12, 2005
Glasgow Ky
I have a tank with both good sending units in it I will sell you for 280 shipped. Let me know if you are interested

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I don't understand how I can buy the sending units all day long individually but yet they aren't replaceable?

The second sending unit is next to impossible to reach in the fuel tank to replace it. One time I was in training, they had a cut away tank, and I still couldn't do it while being able to see everything.

HoodyLR3

Sep 18, 2016
Hawaii
I know of no way to get this to HI

It?s called slow boat mail. It?ll take nearly two months. Please ask post office. I?m still interested if homey doesn?t buy it. Been going off of trip odometer for two years now. @240 miles your toast, lol. Experience talking on that one.

jgdisco2

Feb 24, 2006
Goldsboro, NC
It?s called slow boat mail. It?ll take nearly two months. Please ask post office. I?m still interested if homey doesn?t buy it. Been going off of trip odometer for two years now. @240 miles your toast, lol. Experience talking on that one.

I've already sent $$ hope you can find another one

Drillbit

Oct 12, 2005
Glasgow Ky

Yeah, I cant send a gas tank through the post office. It's over the max size anyway

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Looks like the fuel sender failed on our LR4.

Goddamn it...

https://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/92077/land-rover-fuel-gauge-glitch

Any caveats to slightly dropping the very full fuel tank?

It is super easy to drop on the LR4 (and LR3 for that matter). There is a flap where the filler neck attaches to the fuel tank, so minimal fuel will spill out. The senders are easy to get to in the LR4, IIRC. There is a special tool to remove the lock ring, but you can just use a hammer and punch to loosen it. I think the top flange is the filter, but I may be wrong about that. I just did a fuel pump last week and had it in and out in about an hour.