12' Supercharged RRS engine rattle/knock

Roverfire

Jan 2, 2005
Casper,WY
So my wife's 12' supercharged RRS is making a slight knocking/rattle sound that seems to be coming from the front of the engine. It doesn't have that exhaust leak ticking noise but more of a rattle/knocking sound. I tried searching but didn't find anything pertaining to this.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
You need to replace the supercharger nose. There is a kit available through Land Rover. It is a very common problem. You may also need to replace the timing chain tensioners and guides, but start with the supercharger. When it starts to make noise, open the oil cap (it will start to run badly), and see if the noise is more audible from inside the valve cover. If it is, then there is noise from the timing chains.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
It could be both the water pump and the supercharger nose. Take the belt off and see if the water pump pulley is loose. As to doing it yourself, it's not too bad. How much of that ind of work have you done? It's about a $36,000 engine if you fuck it up.

Roverfire

Jan 2, 2005
Casper,WY
It could be both the water pump and the supercharger nose. Take the belt off and see if the water pump pulley is loose. As to doing it yourself, it's not too bad. How much of that ind of work have you done? It's about a $36,000 engine if you fuck it up.

Never worked on a supercharger before. Have replaced turbos(Saab), water pumps, etc before. I've owned a Discovery DI,DII and currently a LR3 and RRS now. Thought about just buying a rebuilt nose and installing it instead of trying to rebuild the current one. Will pull the belt first and check the pulleys.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I forgot about the water pump! That would be a much cheaper fix. The supercharger nose isn't too bad to do. The worst part about it is that the dowels that align it get rusty so it takes a little work to lift it up.

Roverfire

Jan 2, 2005
Casper,WY
I forgot about the water pump! That would be a much cheaper fix. The supercharger nose isn't too bad to do. The worst part about it is that the dowels that align it get rusty so it takes a little work to lift it up.

So it would be better to get a rebuilt one than to try and rebuilt the current nose? I've found rebuild kits online and also found a nose that has already been rebuilt.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
So it would be better to get a rebuilt one than to try and rebuilt the current nose? I've found rebuild kits online and also found a nose that has already been rebuilt.

I would get a new nose with the isolater spring from Land Rover. You could do the job I bet. Notice how the supercharger kind of splits at one of the intake runners. I split it there and that makes it a lot easier for me to get the coolant quick connect fittings that your going to need to remove. Like Jymmie said it gets kind of stuck on the dowels and guys get cut sometimes when it finally pops free.

I would try it. The only way you could really fuck anything up beyond repair is if something fell in your open ports while it's apart. I like to tape off my runners and not leave them open.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Could be one of 2 things. Rattle click noise from the timing chain, guides and tensionors. It could also be normal fuel system noise. New design tensionors and blades make a big difference.

That I wouldn't recommend doing on your own. The guides and tensionors could be done without taking off the supercharger. If you wanted to put chains in then the super charger and valve covers would have to come off. I like to put chains in when they have over 60,000 miles on them.They have been known to stretch and throw cam timing faults. I think they are quieter with new chains.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
sorry I didn't listen to your video. That tick sound is coming from your fan. If you have the belt off and have never heard that before it will probably go away when you have it all together. If not then you need a fan.