110 rear brakes on a D1

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
You are correct... it's not a race car. But yesterday when a car pulled in front of me while I was doing 40, I was able to lock up 33s on dry pavement and come to a stop before turning the woman's legacy into just that...
The "cold" stopping power is the same whether you have solid or vented rotors, so for an occasional panic stop the type of rotor practically makes no difference.
But if you ride the brakes till the point of rotors glowing red, then vented are the must. Vented (in our case) rotors are also thicker, meaning they are less prone to warping (which I personally never observed with LR brakes).

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
The "cold" stopping power is the same whether you have solid or vented rotors, so for an occasional panic stop the type of rotor practically makes no difference.
But if you ride the brakes till the point of rotors glowing red, then vented are the must. Vented (in our case) rotors are also thicker, meaning they are less prone to warping (which I personally never observed with LR brakes).

While I'm no engineer(or even experienced brake person) these are the facts that I can provide, and you can make a decision based off this.

Each piston is 6mm larger in diameter on the D90 vented brakes(8 per axle)
Each pad has a contact area 20mm longer on the D90 vented brakes(4 per axle)

I have to imagine that increases braking power, though I cannot say how much. I noticed a large difference

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
While I'm no engineer(or even experienced brake person) these are the facts that I can provide, and you can make a decision based off this.

Each piston is 6mm larger in diameter on the D90 vented brakes(8 per axle)
Each pad has a contact area 20mm longer on the D90 vented brakes(4 per axle)

I have to imagine that increases braking power, though I cannot say how much. I noticed a large difference
That's versus stock D1 front calipers. D110 front calipers are identical to D90 front calipers. You get the larger pistons and pads without the vented rotors.
That's what Peter was talking about.

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
You are correct... it's not a race car. But yesterday when a car pulled in front of me while I was doing 40, I was able to lock up 33s on dry pavement and come to a stop before turning the woman's legacy into just that...

I was agreeing with you FishEH, I will be doing the upgrade, just not the vented route. Even though cruising down the mountains creates the chance for more heat buildup especially in heavy traffic. I tend to uses the gears and not the brakes so it should be ok and no different to what I have now except better performance.

At the risk of creating another storm, do any of these upgrades make you lose the ABS? My son will be driving this to school in the next year and I do not want him to go back and forth yet between ABS and non-ABS when he is just learning to drive. After he has driven for a while and he gets a lot of experience it will be ok, just not early on.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
At the risk of creating another storm, do any of these upgrades make you lose the ABS?

My D110 front calipers work fine with ABS. There is a useful thread on ABS sensor failure/replacement that did the rounds within the last year, might be worth a read. A few folks, myself included, replaced their front ABS sensors and have had positive results. Do a search in this forum for "ABS sensor".

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
That's versus stock D1 front calipers. D110 front calipers are identical to D90 front calipers. You get the larger pistons and pads without the vented rotors.
That's what Peter was talking about.

Ahh, makes sense now. I thought he was comparing to stock D1. I just measured and non vented(not specific to 110 btw) pistons are the same size as the vented.

I was agreeing with you FishEH, I will be doing the upgrade, just not the vented route. Even though cruising down the mountains creates the chance for more heat buildup especially in heavy traffic. I tend to uses the gears and not the brakes so it should be ok and no different to what I have now except better performance.

At the risk of creating another storm, do any of these upgrades make you lose the ABS? My son will be driving this to school in the next year and I do not want him to go back and forth yet between ABS and non-ABS when he is just learning to drive. After he has driven for a while and he gets a lot of experience it will be ok, just not early on.

I feel like you think I'm FishEh or something, because twice you've responded to FishEh instead of me haha.

I already removed ABS from this vehicle, but there shouldn't be any issue retaining it.

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
My D110 front calipers work fine with ABS. There is a useful thread on ABS sensor failure/replacement that did the rounds within the last year, might be worth a read. A few folks, myself included, replaced their front ABS sensors and have had positive results. Do a search in this forum for "ABS sensor".

I did read that and kept the notes for future use. I have only ever replaced one sensor so far but will do the rest with that link. Mine have acted normally but then again I am used to it all by now. A new driver might not be so comfortable so if it does come up I will swap those out to get it working like it should have 20 years ago...

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
Front Vented Setup(requires bending of hard line from flex to caliper)
Caliper: LH: SEB500470
RH: SEB500460
Rotors: LR017952
Pads: SFP000260
Fitting kit: STC8575

Front Non-Vented Setup(requires bending of hard line from flex to caliper)
Caliper: LH: RTC5573
RH: RTC5572
Rotors: LR017951
Fitting kit: RTC5001

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
Front Vented Setup(requires bending of hard line from flex to caliper)
Caliper: LH: SEB500470
RH: SEB500460
Rotors: LR017952
Fitting kit: STC8575

Front Non-Vented Setup(requires bending of hard line from flex to caliper)
Caliper: LH: RTC5573
RH: RTC5572
Rotors: LR017951
Fitting kit: RTC5001

Great info, thanks for compiling it. Here's your direct response!

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
And I got the info from RobertF when he wanted to order the parts. It's definitely a worthwhile conversion, if not only to improve design, as Brett said

Frobisher

Dec 27, 2012
Pennsylvania
Based on everybody's good opinion of this upgrade, I did the rear brakes on my 95 Disco this way and it was remarkably easy. I talked with ZacK at RN and he hooked me up with all the necessary parts in a nice kit that was a great deal. I went with the Proline 110 rotors and calipers but Genuine pads at his recommendation and replaced the inner hub seals and repacked the bearings like a good boy.

Considering there are something like over 30 bolts to get all the parts off, everything came off nicely. Even the ABS sensors popped out with minimal effort. All in all, it was much better than expected and totally worth the effort to upgrade the rear design. I had a lot of trouble with the original style getting an aftermarket pad to stay in place, but this solves that quite handily.

While I don't notice a huge improvement in braking, it does feel a bit more solid. Maybe because everything's new? I have no idea. The only wrinkle I had was the Proline calipers were a bit close to the top edge of the rotor (vertical not horizontal - not a spacer/spacing issue) so it was rubbing. A little work with a grinder deepened the channel on the front end of the caliper, and it was good to go. It made a very slight chafing noise for a few weeks (I probably needed to take off just a hair more of the caliper) but everything's happy now after several months.

If you're doing the rears on a Disco 1, it makes total sense to go this route. Thanks for making it a discussion - it really helped me make it happen. And thanks to Zack for the advice over the phone and sending along all the stuff needed!