Radiator leak

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
When I bought the Discovery in March and got it home to Montana I noticed very slight drips on either side of the radiator on the ground. Peeking up and under the leak was dripping off the front frame rails. It was pretty inconsistent - some day a slight leak, other days no leak. Never seemed to drip when parking after driving but would find them in the morning.

So rather than test limits, I bought and installed a new radiator:

http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow.asp?partnumber=19-01431_AN

Same goddamned thing. Couple small drips on certain mornings. Not enough to fill a cup or anything but noticeable on the ground. Peeking under it reveals the same thing - couple drops of coolant on the front frame rails.

Took the old radiator to a local shop. He plugged it up and pressure tested it: no leaks.

I'm at a loss. It's not coming from the hoses (I put in a new lower hose with the new radiator since I had to cut the old hose off). It must be coming from the side plastic tank (except on the new one it's only the battery side, the other one had an occasional leak on the PS pump side).

Any ideas? Just another bad radiator? The auto shop guy said that it's possible that since it freezes at night the rubber gasket between the side plastic tanks and the radiator shrinks when it is that cold.

I don't really want to order another one, go through the bitch of replacing it, and have it leak, too. This is the second radiator (the first was only 2 years old and I trust the guy who I bought it from that it didn't leak, and it showed no evidence of leaking when I bought it and only happened 2 days after getting it home) that does the same thing and no one has ever seemingly had this happen but me.

The new one came with a warranty but fuck, that's a big pain in the ass to switch them out just to have it happen again. Am I going to have to spring $600 for one from Land Rover? I can't imagine that these "direct OEM replacements" are that crappy otherwise there'd be more info out there on them sucking.

This pic is the old previous radiator leak but the new one does exactly the same thing. The guy I bought it from stated:
It’s a shitty design on the new radiators. My wife’s Jeep is the same way. Somedays it leaks when cold others (all summer in fact) no drips at all. They swage metal caps on the top and bottom and through expansion and contraction, water capillaries out through the mating surface.
but I have searched and haven't seen anyone posting a similar problem.

With a year warranty on the new one I'm tempted to just throw in some coolant in the expansion tank every other day until summer hits and see if it stops. If it does it seems like something I'd rather deal with than replacement (and having another one do the same thing).

Attachments

• radiator leak.jpg
    radiator leak.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

jhmover

Apr 23, 2004
California
Did you check where the trans/oil cooler lines go in? My last D1 was dripping from there. The leak was where the fitting went into the radiator, thus leaking coolant.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Yep. Didn't leak on the old one there either. On the old one I put in that trace leak stuff and hit it with the light and I could only find drips on the frame rail.

The new one has new oil cooler lines and I replaced the little o rings on the trans cooler lines and was very careful about tightening them all down. Dry as a bone.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I'd wipe the framerails and everything else around clean, and try to pinpoint the leak.
It can be coming from the expansion tank, or from under the front cover (blown off to the framerail by the airflow), or from under the head gaskets.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I would put some dye in the cooling system and get yourself a cheap black light and glasses set. The
Good ones come with yellow glasses that make the dye more noticeable. That might just be your best chance of finding it.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
I did the tracer stuff in the coolant with the previous radiator with the same symptoms and couldn't find anything at all, even in the black of night with the black light - nothing other than the couple of little drops on the frame rails.

It's definitely not shooting out of the expansion tank (which is new) and I ran paper towels under every connection on every hose to look for the slightest bit of damp: nothing.

My only guess is it's coming from the bottom of the black plastic side tank things at the bottom - can't see it since it sits on the frame and even if I could see it it would only show that somehow it's leaking.

it's just strange that 1 almost new, and 1 brand new radiator, same types, both do this but only on cold nights.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Could it be getting into the frame rails further back and running forward? Did you say PLASTIC side tanks? That's kind of messed up. If you find out it is leaking from the plastic side tank I would take your original radiator and get it re-cored. I was getting estimates of less than 300 to have that done in northern Illinois.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Could it be getting into the frame rails further back and running forward? Did you say PLASTIC side tanks? That's kind of messed up. If you find out it is leaking from the plastic side tank I would take your original radiator and get it re-cored. I was getting estimates of less than 300 to have that done in northern Illinois.

I put an aluminum radiator with plastic side tanks in my last D1. Cheap fuck solution? Perhaps, given that the alternatives were for a genuine radiator at $600 or $800 (I forget which) or recore for $400. In the time I had it the radiator kept the coolant at very comfortable temps. I was skeptical so I kept the ScanGauge on for weeks after I installed it and it worked well in a wide range of driving conditions: ascending mountain passes, heavy stop-go traffic, and off-roading. I didn't keep the truck long enough to discover the longevity, but I had no complaints with the radiator while I had it.

jhmover

Apr 23, 2004
California
I put an aluminum radiator with plastic side tanks in my last D1. Cheap fuck solution? Perhaps, given that the alternatives were for a genuine radiator at $600 or $800 (I forget which) or recore for $400. In the time I had it the radiator kept the coolant at very comfortable temps. I was skeptical so I kept the ScanGauge on for weeks after I installed it and it worked well in a wide range of driving conditions: ascending mountain passes, heavy stop-go traffic, and off-roading. I didn't keep the truck long enough to discover the longevity, but I had no complaints with the radiator while I had it.

I did the same thing for the same reasons on the 98 D1 I had. By the time I got it in it was a 103 degree afternoon. I drove it on the freeway about a 40 mile round trip up a steep pass and it ran cool. My son's been driving it about 9 months now with no problems.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
So I drove it up to operating temperature yesterday and then parked it. Of course this morning there is a small drip on the ground.

First shot is 7 pm. 1 hour after parking it. No drip. I checked again at 11 pm. No drip on the concrete.

Next couple of shots are showing that it is clean and clear.

(next post)

Attachments

• Radiator 1.jpg
    Radiator 1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Radiator 2.jpg
    Radiator 2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Radiator 4.jpg
    Radiator 4.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Next morning, 7 am. Small drip but it didn't freeze last night. You can see some drips on the frame rail and under the radiator (sorry for the bright light but if you can zoom in you will see where a couple drips are).

I found nothing even slightly humid around the hose clamps.

Attachments

• Radiator drip.jpg
    Radiator drip.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Radiator 7.jpg
    Radiator 7.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Radiator 8.jpg
    Radiator 8.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 16

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
I'm thinking it is either the coolant hose from the throttle body or the bleed line. Both are located on the tank to the passenger side above the oil cooler inlet. Only these are above the frame rail. Alternately, you could have a minute leak in the overflow bottle at the seam. When you stop the residual heat is still pushing on the leak but you don't notice it when moving because it isn't enough to cause issue.

Last edited:

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Bringing the thread back up - first below freezing morning:

Leaks again. Small drips. Hasn't leaked a drop since May of 2016 in Montana (where it would still be freezing at night). Hasn't even used a smidge of coolant either. (winter 2016 here it slept in the garage at night and never leaked a drop).

Something with this radiator and shrinkage when cold I guess. I thought about the K-seal that AB sells, but that seems like it plugs leaks when hot - mine definitely doesn't leak when hot, only when below 32 degrees.

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
Get or rent a coolant pressure tester you will find the leak but hopefully it's not from the ends of your heads

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
I was going to suggest the same thing. It should show itself under pressure.

It doesn?t. The old radiator had same symptoms and even removed and pressurized no leaks.

It?s something in the seal on the end caps. When extremely cold they must shrink slightly.

Best bet is spending the money on the expensive ones I guess.