2004 D2 won't start after disconnecting battery

drumhed

Jun 3, 2017
Tuscaloosa, AL
Hey guys,

First post. I have a 2004 D2 here that I have had for six months. Truck has been cranking reliably, but had some cooling issues. I just finished changing the water pump and radiator. While doing that work, the battery was out of the truck for a few weeks. We also used some degreaser and splashes of water to clean the engine during that time. Yesterday I put it all back together, and it won't start. The motor cranks up, revs to 2500 once, then cuts off. It will do this over and over as many times as you care to try. Sometimes it will also beep three times (gauge cluster "dinger") at the instant it cuts off.

Thinking it may be a bad battery--as it had been cranking slowly sometimes in the past--I took it to auto parts store and had it tested.. Their machine said bad battery, so I bought a brand spankin' new one and took it home. Low and behold, the problem persists.

Other FYI's: We pulled a plug wire and stuck it to a lawnmower plug to confirm spark and it is definitely popping. I do not have access to a code scanner at the moment, but will in a couple days. The battery cable terminals are CLEAN clean. Like cleaned beyond any possibility of being an issue. Also, they are very firmly clamped to the battery. I disconnected the MAF and checked to make sure there was no issues with dirt in the plug.. Looks clean. I inspected all three grounds on the bar just in front of the fuse box.. all are clean and tight.

I am baffled as to what to do next. Like I said, truck was cranking reliably as hell before we pulled the battery to get the radiator and water pump R&R'ed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -Jake

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
When it revs up to 2500 is is fits and spurts, or smooth running up and down?

Go back over anything you touched with the radiator/water pump job. It is possible to pinch wires or neglect to re-connect things.

What codes does the ECU give you?

drumhed

Jun 3, 2017
Tuscaloosa, AL
Squirt, it sounds smooth as usual up and down. Tomorrow I will take the battery box back out and look for clues as you suggest. Tuesday I will have a code reader from a friend and we'll see what she says.

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
Code reader is a good place to start, it sounds like the BCU/ECM have lost their security sync. If so, you'll get a code that is like P1667 or P1668 or something like that.

drumhed

Jun 3, 2017
Tuscaloosa, AL
What I meant by that is, I have read all the posts available. It sounds like I may need to sync the ECM and BCU, but I can't find any info on how to do that.

jafir

May 4, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
I don’t know how to do it with Hawkeye pro. I know the cheaper one wouldn’t do it in previous versions. Maybe they have added it. And the pro should do more than the regular Hawkeye.

I’ve done it with Nanocom.

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
Did the camshaft sensor get plugged backed in properly? It's below the water pump and behind the damper.