DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 11-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #5451
ukoffroad

Default Re: Donald Trump Rally in Colorado Springs

Brian, you spend more time criticizing people than making an argument. Mostly tropes, all DC people never go anywhere else, etc. You get more traction with your point when your focus is not the other debater.

I always wonder why people decry someone else's education, as if that makes any sense. When did "you are too educated" become a thing?

1967 IIa.
ukoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:54 PM   #5452
seventyfive

Chuck,
You are an educator. You know exactly why education is deemed 'elitist' especially in today's political climate.
Same reason there is such an overwhelming move to eliminate the written word/print journalism. There are no laws yet regarding slander/liable in digital media.
Facts MUST be facts when printed.

Remove facts and keep people educated on the facts YOU want them to believe. Not to mention a lot of ignorant people are insecure regarding their ignorance. The whole 'if I can't have ice cream then no one can. And anyone who eats the ice cream I can't have is a pussy'!
Old 11-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #5453
aliastel

Member Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventyfive View Post
Chuck,
You are an educator. You know exactly why education is deemed 'elitist' especially in today's political climate.
Same reason there is such an overwhelming move to eliminate the written word/print journalism. There are no laws yet regarding slander/liable in digital media.

Remove facts and keep people educated on the facts YOU want them to believe. Not to mention a lot of ignorant people are insecure regarding their ignorance. The whole 'if I can't have ice cream then no one can. And anyone who eats the ice cream I can't have is a pussy'!
The online world aside, published scholarship is attacked just the same, and for the same reasons: If it doesn't correspond with the belief of the reader, then it is fake. . . . So, why even be educated anymore? I can just sit in my garage drinking and be the most wise and enlightened person in the world on any damned subject I want to. . . Say I'm not right, point me to a study and I will reply fake news. . .

1987 Range Rover Classic (Stock Daily Driver)
1995 Range Rover Classic (Under full restoration)
aliastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #5454
SGaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventyfive View Post
Chuck,

Speaking of education...

The tax bill that passed the house would tax the waived tuition that PhD students get when in the STEM majors. Nothing like getting a $25k/yr stipend to work for a professor, then get taxed for the $50k waived tuition. Basically would leave the student with nothing. (If this was true when I was a grad student in the early 90s, my take home pay of $12k/year would have been reduced to ~$3k. And I was working 60+h/week)

It would destroy STEM PhD education, and the corresponding research, in America.

More and more, it seems the GOP is waging a war against reason and science.

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1920SF View Post
Fitness to lead. This is what you wanted. Now you have it.
Govern.
SGaynor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #5455
brian4d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGaynor View Post
Yeah. There's a difference between an asshole, a creep and a predator.

Asshole: taking a picture when someone's asleep making like you're grabbing their boobs (when wearing body armor? How exactly is that assault?)

Creep: trying to pick up teens when you are 32.

Predator: preying on women who want what you are offering (movie parts), raping them on occasion, hiring lawyers\investigators to go after them if they talk; having harassment penalty clauses in your employment contract.

Franken moves into creep territory of this shows to be a pattern vs a one-off occurrence, IMO.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/20/politi...010/index.html
brian4d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #5456
mgreenspan

Member Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGaynor View Post
Speaking of education...

The tax bill that passed the house would tax the waived tuition that PhD students get when in the STEM majors. Nothing like getting a $25k/yr stipend to work for a professor, then get taxed for the $50k waived tuition. Basically would leave the student with nothing. (If this was true when I was a grad student in the early 90s, my take home pay of $12k/year would have been reduced to ~$3k. And I was working 60+h/week)

It would destroy STEM PhD education, and the corresponding research, in America.

More and more, it seems the GOP is waging a war against reason and science.
While I don't see the point of adding in the REPEAL of that tuition waiver, your math is wrong. How do you go from the lowest tax bracket to suddenly being taxed 75%? Did they write that you get taxed 1% for every thousand dollars of taxable income into the tax plan, too? (25k+50k). Real human beings who actually wrote articles talking about how bad this is are calculating drops from $29k to about $22k.

Read this article.

http://pfforphds.com/which-graduate-...ouse-tax-bill/

You should seriously drink a beer or go outside and listen to the sound of insects or birds before you post in this thread. I can agree with you that at face value this seems mind-bottling, but your personal reaction to everything comes off sounding like Twitter talking points that circulate on every news channel.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #5457
brian4d

You guys happen to see the dust-up with Sen. Hatch and Sen. Brown?

brian4d is online now   Reply With Quote