DiscoWeb Message Boards
 

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #5451
ukoffroad
Member
 
ukoffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lynchburg, Va
Posts: 1,233
Default Re: Donald Trump Rally in Colorado Springs

Brian, you spend more time criticizing people than making an argument. Mostly tropes, all DC people never go anywhere else, etc. You get more traction with your point when your focus is not the other debater.

I always wonder why people decry someone else's education, as if that makes any sense. When did "you are too educated" become a thing?
__________________
Chuck

1967 IIa.
ukoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:54 PM   #5452
seventyfive
Member
 
seventyfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: over there
Posts: 3,823
Default Re: Donald Trump Rally in Colorado Springs

Chuck,
You are an educator. You know exactly why education is deemed 'elitist' especially in today's political climate.
Same reason there is such an overwhelming move to eliminate the written word/print journalism. There are no laws yet regarding slander/liable in digital media.
Facts MUST be facts when printed.

Remove facts and keep people educated on the facts YOU want them to believe. Not to mention a lot of ignorant people are insecure regarding their ignorance. The whole 'if I can't have ice cream then no one can. And anyone who eats the ice cream I can't have is a pussy'!
__________________
Mike Widener
D2
seventyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #5453
aliastel
Member
 
aliastel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 927
Member Trucks
Default Re: Donald Trump Rally in Colorado Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventyfive View Post
Chuck,
You are an educator. You know exactly why education is deemed 'elitist' especially in today's political climate.
Same reason there is such an overwhelming move to eliminate the written word/print journalism. There are no laws yet regarding slander/liable in digital media.
Facts MUST be facts when printed.

Remove facts and keep people educated on the facts YOU want them to believe. Not to mention a lot of ignorant people are insecure regarding their ignorance. The whole 'if I can't have ice cream then no one can. And anyone who eats the ice cream I can't have is a pussy'!
The online world aside, published scholarship is attacked just the same, and for the same reasons: If it doesn't correspond with the belief of the reader, then it is fake. . . . So, why even be educated anymore? I can just sit in my garage drinking and be the most wise and enlightened person in the world on any damned subject I want to. . . Say I'm not right, point me to a study and I will reply fake news. . .
__________________
"Ok, I pulled the driveshaft last night and I drove it down the street. Then the fucking front drive shaft snapped, I guess it could not handle 100% of the power."

1987 Range Rover Classic (Stock Daily Driver)
1995 Range Rover Classic (Under full restoration)
aliastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #5454
SGaynor
Member
 
SGaynor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bristol, TN
Posts: 3,604
Default Re: Donald Trump Rally in Colorado Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventyfive View Post
Chuck,
You are an educator. You know exactly why education is deemed 'elitist' especially in today's political climate.
Same reason there is such an overwhelming move to eliminate the written word/print journalism. There are no laws yet regarding slander/liable in digital media.
Facts MUST be facts when printed.

Remove facts and keep people educated on the facts YOU want them to believe. Not to mention a lot of ignorant people are insecure regarding their ignorance. The whole 'if I can't have ice cream then no one can. And anyone who eats the ice cream I can't have is a pussy'!
Speaking of education...

The tax bill that passed the house would tax the waived tuition that PhD students get when in the STEM majors. Nothing like getting a $25k/yr stipend to work for a professor, then get taxed for the $50k waived tuition. Basically would leave the student with nothing. (If this was true when I was a grad student in the early 90s, my take home pay of $12k/year would have been reduced to ~$3k. And I was working 60+h/week)

It would destroy STEM PhD education, and the corresponding research, in America.

More and more, it seems the GOP is waging a war against reason and science.
__________________
Scott

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1920SF View Post
Fitness to lead. This is what you wanted. Now you have it.
Govern.
SGaynor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #5455
brian4d
Member
 
brian4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: High Point, NC
Posts: 3,228
Default Re: Donald Trump Rally in Colorado Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGaynor View Post
Yeah. There's a difference between an asshole, a creep and a predator.

Asshole: taking a picture when someone's asleep making like you're grabbing their boobs (when wearing body armor? How exactly is that assault?)

Creep: trying to pick up teens when you are 32.

Predator: preying on women who want what you are offering (movie parts), raping them on occasion, hiring lawyers\investigators to go after them if they talk; having harassment penalty clauses in your employment contract.

Franken moves into creep territory of this shows to be a pattern vs a one-off occurrence, IMO.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/20/politi...010/index.html
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmodg View Post
Thanks Brian - for being you!
brian4d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #5456
mgreenspan
Member
 
mgreenspan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Nevada City
Posts: 4,085
Member Trucks
Default Re: Donald Trump Rally in Colorado Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGaynor View Post
Speaking of education...

The tax bill that passed the house would tax the waived tuition that PhD students get when in the STEM majors. Nothing like getting a $25k/yr stipend to work for a professor, then get taxed for the $50k waived tuition. Basically would leave the student with nothing. (If this was true when I was a grad student in the early 90s, my take home pay of $12k/year would have been reduced to ~$3k. And I was working 60+h/week)

It would destroy STEM PhD education, and the corresponding research, in America.

More and more, it seems the GOP is waging a war against reason and science.
While I don't see the point of adding in the REPEAL of that tuition waiver, your math is wrong. How do you go from the lowest tax bracket to suddenly being taxed 75%? Did they write that you get taxed 1% for every thousand dollars of taxable income into the tax plan, too? (25k+50k). Real human beings who actually wrote articles talking about how bad this is are calculating drops from $29k to about $22k.

Read this article.

http://pfforphds.com/which-graduate-...ouse-tax-bill/

You should seriously drink a beer or go outside and listen to the sound of insects or birds before you post in this thread. I can agree with you that at face value this seems mind-bottling, but your personal reaction to everything comes off sounding like Twitter talking points that circulate on every news channel.
__________________
Land Rover Only 2 Complaints
Last too long Look too good
mgreenspan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #5457
brian4d
Member
 
brian4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: High Point, NC
Posts: 3,228
Default Re: Donald Trump Rally in Colorado Springs

You guys happen to see the dust-up with Sen. Hatch and Sen. Brown?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmodg View Post
Thanks Brian - for being you!
brian4d is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Colorado Springs Wildfire chris snell General 8 06-28-2012 03:01 PM
Colorado Springs to Orlando? Springsroverfamily General 2 02-25-2011 08:37 PM
Weekend of 3/20 I'm in Colorado Springs with an H3 gmookher Events/Trails/Trips 0 03-20-2009 04:57 AM
Colorado Springs, CO Mechanic cavendish Discovery - Technical Discussions 9 10-02-2007 07:25 PM
DII brush bar & OME springs. Colorado Danger Parts For Sale 0 08-02-2006 09:48 AM

» Log in
User Name Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Password
» Today's Birthdays
Olered
dkfrizzell (43)
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000 - 2015, DiscoWeb.org. All rights reserved.

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.