DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 11-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #51
garrett

Default Re: Suckers: Your Bucket Is Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventyfive View Post
Garrett I am talking about specific items, not the full snow peak catalog. Keep in mind I have also been out of the game for quite a while now, so I am not up in the new stuff.

Stoves and cookware, for example, should require minimal space and also be effective. I have a primus 2 burner, primus nesting pots, and utensils. They take up minimal space, light weight, and not snow peak price. Sure I could use a jet boil and one pot, but I am not back packing.

I was referring moreso to full blown family style car camping when you need a lot of shit so everyone stays positive and happy! Not me wheeling without the tribe.

You and I are completely aligned regarding your points. People equate price with quality, they are consumerists.

Personally I do not need anything yeti sells. If I need a bucket I use one of my pelicans. If I need a cooler I fill one of pelicans with ice. If I need some luggage I use my pelicans. I need a tool carrier I use a pelican. I use my pelicans for everything. Had the pelicans almost 20 years and they still work and have not required replacing due to technology. Still amazes me when people see them at a hotel then go tell the wife he's buying some while he's strapped down with stupid bags, backpacks, shopping bags, etc.
I guess when you make an almost perfect product they will stand the test of time and do not require a cool lifestyle sales pitch sold at dick's sporting goods.

Pelican cases are the original yeti! Plus they are tactical looking as fuck!
Their stoves are over priced as fuck as well. They are nice, but nothing special. I've used them a number of times. Again they look nice and they work well, but their prices aren't justified. My Partner Steel is significantly better in every way and isn't close to $400. $400 for their two burner stove is way more dumb than a $40 bucket. Oh wait - their $500 fire proof down jacket is. LOL. SnowPeak is the Freelander/LR2 of the "gear" lifestyle. It wants so bad to be part of the cool crowd, but falls very short.

Pelican/Storm cases aren't that expensive though and are priced accordingly. I use mine very frequently - from shipping recovery gear all around the country to just storing camping gear. Even the panniers on my KTM are 1550s. A wheel broke on my StormCase with a good 100lbs of gear in it coming from WA state. Sent them an email and a week later I had a complete new wheel set/handle.

I just refuse to support a company that sells so much that is overpriced when other options are better - never mind prices. It comes back to the principle of it. Now I sound like my dad. Fuck.

Oh god - I just noticed they sell a titanium straw for $18. LOL.
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #52
jymmiejamz
I'm still not Senior? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Their stoves are over priced as fuck as well. They are nice, but nothing special. I've used them a number of times. Again they look nice and they work well, but their prices don't come close to their quality. My Partner Steel is significantly better in every way and isn't close to $400. $400 for their two burner stove is way more dumb than a $40 bucket.
What makes the Cook Partner stove significantly better than the Snow Peak stove? It puts out fewer BTUs and doesn't have legs, which means if you are using a standard camp table you are stuck leaning over to cook. I guess you don't get to hang an overland chic propane tank off the back of your truck with the Snow Peak stove, and it probably doesn't look as at home in the drawer system of your FJ Cruiser.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:53 PM   #53
seventyfive

The sad part is product is made then marketed. A company does not receive thousands of requests for a titanium straw. A company assess the viability of product to sell based on market research/trends. Knowing there is a demographic for a titanium straw is crazy. A titanium straw is different than say $1000 sneakers or $200 baseball hat, etc. a straw is pretty specific and can only be recognized by other extremely superficial person.

I know you know business, so you understand supply and demand. The interesting part is how successful supply side, discretionary spending goods, is so successful when all you hear about is how shitty hard working Americans have it right now!!!

Another example of capitalism. Convince people how shitty they have it while simultaneously convincing them a $40 bucket will improve their life.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #54
jymmiejamz

Quote:
A titanium straw is different than say $1000 sneakers or $200 baseball hat, etc. a straw is pretty specific and can only be recognized by other extremely superficial person.
That is an interesting way to look at it. I would have assumed it is to reduce waste.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:07 PM   #55
seventyfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymmiejamz View Post
What makes the Cook Partner stove significantly better than the Snow Peak stove? It puts out fewer BTUs and doesn't have legs, which means if you are using a standard camp table you are stuck leaning over to cook. I guess you don't get to hang an overland chic propane tank off the back of your truck with the Snow Peak stove, and it probably doesn't look as at home in the drawer system of your FJ Cruiser.
Hey hey hey I had a drawer system in my truck. Shit does that make me a snob? Drawers are the shit, but my OCD is clinical.

Nothing better than throwing anything in the drawers, latch down the pelicans, then run any trail at Rausch in 4 high and not have ANYTHING flying around.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #56
seventyfive

Quote:
That is an interesting way to look at it. I would have assumed it is to reduce waste.
Come on man, a straw? If you need a straw to drink fluid let alone a titanium straw are you really concerned with overflowing land fills or littering?

If you are truly concerned with the reduction of waste the first order of business is assessing your habits and eliminating unnecessary items. For example, drinking implements. Take your own containers to the co-op for the bulk food instead of using the minimally recyclable bags etc.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #57
jymmiejamz

Quote:
If you are truly concerned with the reduction of waste the first order of business is assessing your habits and eliminating unnecessary items. For example, drinking implements. Take your own containers to the co-op for the bulk food instead of using the minimally recyclable bags etc.
Like one of these?

Old 11-19-2017, 10:22 PM   #58
seventyfive

Also, I believe you honestly look at a titanium straw initially as a way to conserve. You live in Brooklyn now which is to say the green marketing is extremely effective...as a guide to spend more money than necessary.

It is great people are becoming renewable but the cost is nuts.

Shit, the stuff I buy at my local co-op costs typically 10% more at the Whole Foods, by my office. And the wellness/hygiene products at my local co-op are typically 10% less at the vitamin shoppe.

Marketing. Somehow you are more ecologically friendly when you shop at a Whole Foods? By spending more money? If you are really concerned with renewable/sustainable lifestyle why would you shop at a store that has a bigger bottled water selection than coffee beans?

Which is why I think someone buying a titanium straw is not as concerned as the act of sustainable lifestyle so much as the appearance of being concerned.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #59
seventyfive

Quote:
Like one of these?

I use these https://www.chicobag.com

I take my containers to the store, they weigh them and write the weight in the container. The plastic containers are great when you get coffee beans. They only have the one pound bags...we usually use 2 pounds per week.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:27 PM   #60
seventyfive

That bag looks tiny! If your groceries can fit in that little bag you may have an eating disorder!!
Old 11-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #61
ukoffroad

Quote:

Which is why I think someone buying a titanium straw is not as concerned as the act of sustainable lifestyle so much as the appearance of being concerned.
That is it, the image of being righteous.

1967 IIa.
ukoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #62
jymmiejamz

I just grabbed one from my wife's shopping bag, but I think she has a few sizes. I make a somewhat conscious effort to reduce waste, but I don't go overboard.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #63
garrett

Quote:
Have you put them side by side? If you have, you'd see right away that that build quality is like comparing a uni-body to body on frame. It's night/day. I'm not just saying that to say it either. The quality isn't even remotely the same nor is the intended use of these two stoves. Stamped aluminum vs. heavy gauge welded aluminum. One is meant to cook petite filet mignons in a "secluded" camp ground on the tail gate of a P38 that someone dumped $20K in and whom starts wearing scarves in August. The Partners were designed by and for rafting guides out west to be tossed around and abused to make elk chili and T-bones. Comparing the insignificant difference in BTUs is like saying the Range Rover Sport has 500 bhp and 20" rims and your Jeep Rubicon only puts out 300 bhp on 18"s - thus more HP is better off road. It's a horrible analogy and comparison.

Do you really think that these people care if their green tea water gets heated up 30 seconds faster on a SnowPeak? The Partner stoves are overbuilt and are designed to last a lifetime regardless of how they are treated. The SnowPeak stoves are fragile in comparison, but like I said - they are designed for a totally different purpose. Car camping vs. river guide adventures. If you want a stove stand/table, you can buy them for sale as well. Check out there coffee pots too. Comparing their products to SnowPeak is like comparing a post op tranny to Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China in case you need to be reminded). I've never used mine on a river, but I knew that it would get used all over the country and in sub-par conditions in the back of a truck. From the deserts of CA to Newfoundland/Labrador.

PS: And their customer service is calling them, the phone ringing a few times and a dude picking up the phone in Idaho and shipping out what I need that day. I only needed some replacement O rings after 8-9 years, but still nice to support individuals that actually make these quality products and not some company that charges $1,300 for 3 season tents, $40 buckets and $500 for a down vest. It's beyond obnoxious.

Here's one from Camp Chef for $230 with 20K burners if that's what you need. How again is the SnowPeak justifying $400 for their stamped alum/steel stoves? https://www.campchef.com/camp-stoves...num-stove.html They aren't. It's gear for glamping for the gluten free crowd.
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred

Last edited by garrett; 11-20-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #64
D Chapman

Sorry, Garrett, but your Partner stove is a pile of shit and you look like a douchebag riding around with a 20lb propane tank to fuel the damn thing.

See you at the Blue Rhino cage,
Daniel
D Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #65
D Chapman

Quote:
Come on man, a straw? If you need a straw to drink fluid let alone a titanium straw are you really concerned with overflowing land fills or littering?

Those straws are the only way to go when enjoying a peach milkshake. And your vacuum sealed mug keep it frozen.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #66
D Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Have you put them side by side? If you have, you'd see right away that that build quality is like comparing a uni-body to body on frame. It's night/day. I'm not just saying that to say it either. The quality isn't even remotely the same nor is the intended use of these two stoves. Stamped aluminum vs. heavy gauge welded aluminum. One is meant to cook petite filet mignons in a "secluded" camp ground on the tail gate of a P38 that someone dumped $20K in and whom starts wearing scarves in August. The Partners were designed by and for rafting guides out west to be tossed around and abused to make elk chili and T-bones. Comparing the insignificant difference in BTUs is like saying the Range Rover Sport has 500 bhp and 20" rims and your Jeep Rubicon only puts out 300 bhp on 18"s - thus more HP is better off road. It's a horrible analogy and comparison.

Do you really think that these people care if their green tea water gets heated up 30 seconds faster on a SnowPeak? The Partner stoves are overbuilt and are designed to last a lifetime regardless of how they are treated. The SnowPeak stoves are fragile in comparison, but like I said - they are designed for a totally different purpose. Car camping vs. river guide adventures. If you want a stove stand/table, you can buy them for sale as well. Check out there coffee pots too. Comparing their products to SnowPeak is like comparing a post op tranny to Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China in case you need to be reminded). I've never used mine on a river, but I knew that it would get used all over the country and in sub-par conditions in the back of a truck. From the deserts of CA to Newfoundland/Labrador.
Or, you could just build a camp fire and only carry a grill grate on your demolition derby water raft camping trip. Problem solved for $9.99 at Lowe's.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #67
garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Chapman View Post
Sorry, Garrett, but your Partner stove is a pile of shit and you look like a douchebag riding around with a 20lb propane tank to fuel the damn thing.

See you at the Blue Rhino cage,
Daniel
Make SnowPeak great again.

I carry a 6 lb aluminum tank, since I used it for 7-14 day trips.

Tell me why the SnowPeaks are worth $400 again?
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
Old 11-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #68
SGaynor

Quote:
Those straws are the only way to go when enjoying a peach milkshake. And your vacuum sealed mug keep it frozen.
Wouldn't your lips stick to the cold metal?

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1920SF View Post
Fitness to lead. This is what you wanted. Now you have it.
Govern.
SGaynor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #69
D Chapman

I use these on my Snow Peak stove in the food truck. 1lb tanks and they last weeks. I can also use the same propane tank with my propane torch head to start camp fires and in some cases heat stuck bolts, etc. during a break down. I can also buy more at any gas station if needed. Not only is the stove smaller and take up less space, but so does the fuel.

I'm not saying the Snow Peak stove is better than other stoves on the market. The Coleman stove is a tried and true camping staple. The true benefit of the Snow Peak stove is the IGT features. Just like your bigger-is-better Partner stove, you can just drop the tailgate and get cooking with the Snow Peak or Coleman stoves. There is nothing you can't do with a Coleman or Snow Peak stove that you can do with a Partner stove. However, with the Snow Peak stove, you can use the IGT set-up and have a much more convenient, cleaner, work station that takes up minimal space in your car or camper. Then you can use the same IGT table to eat your meal on. The pieces of the IGT set-up are small enough to stow in a Pelican case, and they're small enough to submerge in a soapy bath to keep things clean and sanitary. Nothing like preparing some fish, seafood, or fresh red meat on a surface that cannot be properly cleaned.

No way your Partner stove is as versatile as the Snow Peak IGT set-up. Sorry, it's just not. Perhaps you pay just a little more for the convenience, versatility, portability, and flexibility, but it is worth it. If all you're cooking is some beanie-weenies or pan fried hamburgers (yum) on your 14 day elite expeditions to the back country of Uwharrie, NC, cool. But if you want a little more refinement, I don't know of a better option than the IGT platform.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #70
SGaynor

Quote:
I use these on my Snow Peak stove in the food truck. [/CENTER]
You use a tiny snow peak stove and 1lb propane tanks on a FOOD TRUCK?

I guess that explains everything.

Do you use 20lb tanks for your home kitchen stove?

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Quote:
Govern.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #71
D Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGaynor View Post
You use a tiny snow peak stove and 1lb propane tanks on a FOOD TRUCK?

I guess that explains everything.
Why would I use anything bigger? So I can deal with the Fire Marshall, apply for additional permits, and expect additional inspections? A $3 tank lasts weeks and works just fine.

Quote:
Do you use 20lb tanks for your home kitchen stove?
No.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #72
SGaynor

Quote:
Why would I use anything bigger? So I can deal with the Fire Marshall, apply for additional permits, and expect additional inspections? A $3 tank lasts weeks and works just fine.
Is this your food truck?

Because I can't see how running a fryer, a flat top and/or a grill for a commercial food truck would possibly run off of 1lb tanks. I mean why does nearly every one have a 100lb tank?

'03 HSE
Go Hokies! - Ut Prosim

Quote:
Govern.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #73
D Chapman

Quote:
Is this your food truck?

Because I can't see how running a fryer, a flat top and/or a grill for a commercial food truck would possibly run off of 1lb tanks. I mean why does nearly every one have a 100lb tank?
Probably because I don't serve the shit you get from every other XYZ fried food food truck.

Keep trying to act like you know what's going on here. You don't.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #74
garrett

The Partners are not bigger, in fact the Partner is smaller. They are just far better made than the SnowPeaks. That's undeniable if you've used both - which I have. The SnowPeak might be more refined (think prettier), but I don't care about that. I can drop the tailgate and be cooking just as quick as any other stove setup and yes I use the smaller bottles too when it's just me or a few people for a night or two. I connect the hose on both ends and I'm done. What else is there to do? Really nothing you are stating that can't be done with any of the decent stoves on the market. My Partner goes into a Pelican with all the "kitchen" stuff. Everything comes apart easily and cleans up easy too. I can get all kinds of accessories too - tables, stand, etc. Big deal. All the decent stoves do what the SnowPeak and Partner stoves do, SnowPeak just sells it for a hefty premium for a stamped alum/steel stove.

Like I said though, I have a hard time buying from a company that advertises itself as high end glamping gear to the lactose and gluten intolerant crowd - $1,300 REI grade tents, $35 coffee cups and the such make them a fine choice for those wanting to look the part, but it's overpriced average gear. No different than Aether motorcycle gear. Nice looking stuff, but overpriced compared to better options like Klim, etc. If you look at the Aether website and SnowPeak you can clearly see they are marketing to the same people. Metrosexual hipsters.

Maybe it's time to get one of their made in China unisex printed military jackets for $500. You don't see the humor in this? If they are selling junk like that, you don't think they are doing it elsewhere along their product line? You ain't that stupid. Oh wait - maybe a $440 poncho!!! LOL https://snowpeak.com/collections/out...nt=48311400271 Please, please, please tell me about their awesome sauce poncho and other brilliantly designed products. I know John Lee approves.

Carry on.
1992 Toyota Prado
1991 Toyota Hilux
1991 Toyota Surf
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
1997 Toyota 4Runner
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
1993 Mad River Explorer
1996 Thoroughbred
Old 11-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #75