Looked at a 4Runner yesterday, and I have a question

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
I got the v6 model. I didn?t want the v8 because it requires a timing belt change. What problems have you heard about the 4.0 v6?

Good looking truck. There was a thread about (you're not going to want to hear this) where Head gaskets were failing on the 1GR-FE. A lot were coolant leaking at cylinder 6. I looked around a lot at the time and it's a rarity for sure. Many claim to have 200K+ on their original head gaskets. Here is the thread but it may just raise your blood pressure. My thinking is that the design is solid but soccer moms and sock and crock dads shouldn't drive their truck home once it's over heated. Sound familiar?

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/188699-***-v6-head-gasket-action-request-***.html

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
Good to know considering my wife has a 2016 Camry. Most of the armor I have seen for this generation 4runner looks ridiculous though. I was spoiled with the classic lines that my D1 had with the RTE bumper.

yota tech and ih8atemud wold be a good place to find clean looking aftermarket advice. Just like here the older guys driving the 70's - 90 tech FJ80's and UJ100's.appreciate the old style stuff.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
That conversation actually came up while training yesterday with my students. Apparently the ladies are really into that now - especially the younger ones. I guess they expect it now. Nope and nope.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hGYec_bNKBg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
My daughter has inherited her Grandfather's (my ex's father) 2013 Tacoma 4-door, 4WD shortbed in return for a very competitive payment to his estate. Poor guy has dementia and is in an assisted living home and he ain't gettin out. The truck has 7,000 miles on it and is optioned to the max. My 17 year old daughter now has a nicer truck than me.

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
My daughter has inherited her Grandfather's (my ex's father) 2013 Tacoma 4-door, 4WD shortbed in return for a very competitive payment to his estate. Poor guy has dementia and is in an assisted living home and he ain't gettin out. The truck has 7,000 miles on it and is optioned to the max. My 17 year old daughter now has a nicer truck than me.

That Generation is the Best looking with out a doubt. The new ones are girly looking.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN

Nice.

Welcome to the dark side...

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I just sat in what I genuinely believe to be the most comfortable, luxurious vehicle I've ever experienced aside from a Rolls Royce.

It was a damned Lincoln Continental.

If you've got a dealership nearby, take a few minutes and try one out with the 30 way seats and fancy climate control.

Don't look at the price until you get out of the car. Go in without knowing. It'll blow your fucking mind.

Cheers,

Kennith

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
I just sat in what I genuinely believe to be the most comfortable, luxurious vehicle I've ever experienced aside from a Rolls Royce.

If you've got a dealership nearby, take a few minutes and try one out with the 30 way seats and fancy climate control.

Don't look at the price until you get out of the car. Go in without knowing. It'll blow your fucking mind.

Cheers,

Kennith

Was Matthew McCounnaghey there?

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle

I think I saw you there:

5db15a37a7478905c6038585b4421f36.jpg

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Was Matthew McCounnaghey there?

Sadly, no. The dealership was... Less than enthusiastic in general. Wouldn't buy a car there, but I sure as hell got one big surprise. That Continental is some next level shit, man.

I think this car is more Hopkins than McCounnaghey. I wonder how much he'd charge to team up as co-spokesmen for the brand? It would be a good idea.

It's not a performance car, but unless you want to spend over $300,000, you ain't gonna do better when it comes to "comfort luxury", and the sticker on the one I was playing around with was $54,000.

That guy could have told me it was $154,000, and I'd have agreed it was worth the price of entry.

It's easily the most incorrectly priced automobile I've ever seen released. They need to tack at least another fifty grand on to each unit, because they're not going to get S-Class cross shopping at Subaru prices. That car would sell at a $95,000 base price without question.

At it's current price, it's not going to get the market respect it deserves. It is entirely possible to price products too low, and that's what they've done.

Cheers,

Kennith

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
You should go sit in a 2018 Range Rover. It blows all previous Range Rovers out of the water in terms of luxury. Even the window switches are now machined aluminum.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
You should go sit in a 2018 Range Rover. It blows all previous Range Rovers out of the water in terms of luxury. Even the window switches are now machined aluminum.

Bet those are nice but for that price (not even) I would rather get a Power Wagon; but that is just me. I like having the bed space so I doubt I will ever not have at least one truck around.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Two problems
1. It's a Lincoln
2. It's a Ford

Here's the effect:

I sat down in the car, reached over, and turned a knob. From that point forward, I didn't give a shit.

I didn't notice the paddle shifters, ignored the push-button transmission, only later that night considered some of the less than stellar switch-gear, never even thought to ask for any details about the drive-line, and 100% did not give a single fuck about anything else related to that automobile. I honestly couldn't even tell you how to start it off the top of my head. That's how comfortable it was.

There's just no way to wrap your brain around it until you try one. They deserve some back-patting for this car.

The world hasn't seen a car like this for a very, very long time. I'm afraid people won't know what do do with it at the "budget" (let's face it, they're imagining people cross-shopping Mercedes, here) price. They'll have to get clever with the marketing, because even I'm having a hard time describing the damned thing.

Right now, I'll go on the record and say that, given an immediate choice between a Lincoln Continental and a Mercedes S-Class, I'd take the Lincoln without a second thought. No question, and not the slightest hesitation.

Cheers,

Kennith