DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Old 01-13-2018, 07:17 PM

I was on a trip and heard a loud pop - the bottom hinge on the cargo door bent 30 degrees somehow. Bummer. I'm thinking now is a good time to look into moving the spare to a swing-away, welded to the bumper. Did a search, only a few things from pre-2012 and vendors are no longer in business.

Plan so far is to look for a Jeep or universal swingaway, and take it to a welder.

Has anyone done this before? Any tips, gotchas, or product recommendations?

Not too stoked on adding more weight to the rear end, however. My 3" RTE springs sagged 2" within the first month. Other option is to put it on the roof rack, but I think the rear end would look silly and fetching a tire from the rack does not sound like fun.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:22 PM
Needs to get a life

Member Trucks
Jim had this on his G4 w/ a GD bumper, not sure if he still posts on here.

Save the last round for yourself. It'll be a blessed relief as the bear is wearing your guts as a hat.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:28 AM

Don't remember what the GD bumper looked like, but I have a swing away that I really like. I would be happy to send pics.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:40 AM

Member Trucks
I added one to an RTE bumper, but its the same concept.

Every jeep carrier ive seen uses a couple of bearing like a trailer spindle. The bigger diameter of a bearing vs bushing pushes the tire even further from the vehicle. Stick to something like this.

http://ironpigoffroad.com/Fabrication/IPOR-SPINDLE

I used 2 heim joints and a turn buckle so the carrier opens with the door. I cant stand the screen door approach of having to open 2 doors instead of 1.

Use good heims. I didnt and have to oil them once a year or they sound like death when I open the door
Old 01-15-2018, 08:55 AM

Member Trucks
Pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 866EAF78-E0DA-4C5C-B305-984C94E49D78.jpeg (93.5 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpeg 5054B8EE-E572-4A3A-A7F9-FBA8A44B2180.jpeg (156.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpeg 8FE7135C-78D5-483A-AC38-CA94BBA61DB3.jpeg (149.2 KB, 98 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 08:56 AM

Member Trucks
More pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7C9903E0-7F3C-4079-9CA1-3E54EF72CE87.jpeg (95.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpeg 4A5944E4-D8FC-4219-8DC9-AD30801A4074.jpeg (69.5 KB, 77 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 05:34 PM

CORover - please do

robert - I'm trying to wrap my head around what you did. Is this completely fabricated yourself, or did you start with a retail carrier? If so, which one?

Questions
- is the roller necessary? The GD bumper isn't very wide, so I don't think this would be very useful/needed
- it looks like you used the factory mounting plate, but then I see another one fabbed in the last picture? How does that work?
- How do you get the swing action of the carrier to match that of the door hinges? Is that the heims? What is the heims mounted to on on the door?
- Are you using the six factory bolt holes on the door for anything? I think you mounted the heims to a bracket and used two of the holes?

I like the design. The other idea I had was to have the swingaway hinge on the left, and opens opposite, so you could set up portable shelving or storage when at base camp (I already have a fold down table on the barn door). Con, have to open two things.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:26 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Blake View Post
CORover - please do

robert - I'm trying to wrap my head around what you did. Is this completely fabricated yourself
I used that IPOR spindle I linked to, but you can get all that stuff from mcmaster

Quote:
Questions
- is the roller necessary? The GD bumper isn't very wide, so I don't think this would be very useful/needed
Yes, 200lbs on a 2.5 foot beam will flop around and fail in no time. there is also a rubber bumper on the back that compresses when closed, so it is very rigid.

Quote:
- it looks like you used the factory mounting plate, but then I see another one fabbed in the last picture? How does that work?
I built it to take the stock mount in the stock location, then made a replacement mount that moves it up and is scalloped for the wheel/tire combo I'm running. Previously I had spaced out and up the tire bracket to fit the 35/12.50/15, but if I moved that setup over to the new carrier it would have stuck out an additional inch or so, I wanted the tire as close to the door as possible

Quote:
- How do you get the swing action of the carrier to match that of the door hinges? Is that the heims? What is the heims mounted to on on the door?
the heims account for any planar misalignment between the bumper and rear door hinges, but after that its just 4 bar linkage like a lawn chair or fancy picnic table.

Quote:

- Are you using the six factory bolt holes on the door for anything? I think you mounted the heims to a bracket and used two of the holes?
just 2 of them to bolt the tab for the heim joint to the door.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:46 PM

Member Trucks
Robert - nice job on the swing-away.
96 Disco SD - SOLD after 16 years
Old 01-16-2018, 12:42 PM

I have one here off a Tactical rovers bumper the owner wants $300 for

40 more for parts

UsedRoverParts@yahoo.com

www.UsedLandRoverParts.com

www.BritishBoneYard.com
Old 01-16-2018, 12:54 PM
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks
Im still waiting for pics of a swing away on an actual Greg Davis bumper.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:46 PM
Needs to get a life

Member Trucks
I tried to get Jim to post over here, he just posted in the for sale section

Save the last round for yourself. It'll be a blessed relief as the bear is wearing your guts as a hat.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:17 PM

After doing some more thinking, here is the current plan, pending any enlightening comments:

- I want it swing open to the driver side, with a fold down table on the backside. So that makes roberts design not work for me. Also with the new design I can forgo the heims and roller wheel. Fewer moving parts the better.
- Buy the hardware from an online shop like http://www.4xinnovations.com/Swing-O...bly_p_109.html and http://www.4xinnovations.com/Swing-O...bly_p_109.html
- Take the hardware to a local welder to make the rest. I could buy the carrier premade: http://www.4xinnovations.com/Swing-O...ier_p_112.html
But I feel like this is pretty simple job for a welder and would be easier for him to start from scratch, with the right hardware, rather than modify something premade to work (and pay $$ to ship basic steel tube across the US)

Alas, I'm pretty useless myself for this project without a welder, so I don't see a way to DIY it. The best I can do is compile the parts and take it to a shop.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:44 PM

Member Trucks
Robertf that is a sweet setup.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:46 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-rover View Post
Im still waiting for pics of a swing away on an actual Greg Davis bumper.
The GD bumper doesn't have any extra real estate aft of the plastic corner pieces. You'd have to weld on a bracket to hold the spindle.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:14 AM
Keyboard Pounder II

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
The GD bumper doesn't have any extra real estate aft of the plastic corner pieces. You'd have to weld on a bracket to hold the spindle.
Yeah I have something invisioned in my head, but was curious if anyone had actually done it already. My door hinge is already broken with 34s. Mounting a 35" tire on the door isnt going to happen so I need to figure something out sooner than later
Old 01-17-2018, 01:16 AM

Member Trucks
Thanks for the compliments. Found the rest of the pics. Maybe these are of use to someone else. I forgot I had cut down the IPOR spindle to fit better
Old 01-17-2018, 01:17 AM

Member Trucks
More
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E1C20750-1986-4C02-8B5A-C11860ECB73A.jpeg (159.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpeg 30F6F1CA-AD84-4F5F-8C8C-085639A7D2A2.jpeg (186.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpeg B56A853E-3ED6-4B62-B818-997D7042EA1F.jpeg (126.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-17-2018, 02:12 AM

You're right, not a lot of space on the GD bumper. I dumped the plastic corners long ago, however. I think sticking a spindle on top might fit.

The trick of using a bracket, is that the bumper has 2 angles on the side, and it doesn't get straight until about 11" in towards the receiver. See pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3484.jpg (88.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4895.jpg (204.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6090.jpg (206.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 01-17-2018, 10:56 AM

For the life of me I don't understand why you would want the tire to swing driver and the door to swing passenger. You building a fort in the middle?
'94 D1 Too good to pass up. OME lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT's, Detroit/TruTrac, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit
Old 01-17-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
For the life of me I don't understand why you would want the tire to swing driver and the door to swing passenger. You building a fort in the middle?
So you can come play kitchen with me, fish!

A swingaway that swings left will let me put a fold down table on the backside, so I can move the coleman burner from the cargo door fold down table to the swingaway, which will open up a ton of table top space, especially due to the propane tank that sits off to the side of the burner. Table top space is a premium in the bush

I think I'm going to want the swingaway to open parallel to the bumper, i.e. 130-180 degrees, to give some room back there. Maybe I need some sort of leg that folds down to support the weight when open, and a lock pin to hold it open.

disregard my exhaust pipe in this photo, I have since tucked it in haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1377.jpg (212.4 KB, 68 views)
Old 01-17-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Blake View Post
So you can come play kitchen with me, fish!

A swingaway that swings left will let me put a fold down table on the backside, so I can move the coleman burner from the cargo door fold down table to the swingaway, which will open up a ton of table top space, especially due to the propane tank that sits off to the side of the burner. Table top space is a premium in the bush

I think I'm going to want the swingaway to open parallel to the bumper, i.e. 130-180 degrees, to give some room back there. Maybe I need some sort of leg that folds down to support the weight when open, and a lock pin to hold it open.

disregard my exhaust pipe in this photo, I have since tucked it in haha
What the hell is going on behind the rear wheel arch on the drivers side? I see a garden hose spigot, what other foolishness have you got?

If you lose the drink table and get a proper camp table you'll have lots of room and can have your swing away open normally.

Quote:
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit
Old 01-17-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
What the hell is going on behind the rear wheel arch on the drivers side? I see a garden hose spigot, what other foolishness have you got?

If you lose the drink table and get a proper camp table you'll have lots of room and can have your swing away open normally.
Haha. Since you asked: Dual needle air gauge, air regulator, air QD fitting, thermostatic mixing valve (for water, this is piped into a heat exchanger in the engine bay that pulls heat from the coolant), and spigot w/ GHT quick connect fitting (plug in a shower head I rigged up to the roof rack, or a longer sprayer hose). Opposite quarter panel has a water input fitting, and another air chuck.

To each their own, they were fun projects. I run the engine for a few minutes, and have pressurized 110F degree water

I have a plastic fold table (the one for fishing/hunting, has a sink I can plumb the pressureized water to), but its big/bulky. Most of the time I don't need it. A compact fold down table on the carrier would be one less thing to pack and setup, and a perfect place for the stove. The table on the door I made of king starboard, so its slippery and not well suited for the stove.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1254.jpg (179.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1180.jpg (197.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 01-17-2018, 04:55 PM

Member Trucks
Pros- custom table only needs 2 legs

Cons- always have to open gate before door, thatll really suck when off camber
-when loading trunk on street tire can swing out and impale traffic
-tire has to stick out to provide table clearance when folded up
-akward table size to clear ladder and tail light
Old 01-17-2018, 05:47 PM

Con - your table is filthy after 5 minutes on a gravel road.

Which window on your "rig" is home to your ExPo sticker?

Quote: