Coolant System Flush

coop74

Dec 10, 2015
Alcoa TN
What is the best product, home made or store bought, to use to flush the cooling system that is kind to the Aluminum block and works well with the OAT antifreeze?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

jprover2

Apr 8, 2017
Birmingham,Al
To truly drain the whole system you need to remove the drain plugs on the sides of the block "near freeze plugs". I've read arguments for draining/flushing all the coolant once per year, or you could just remove upper and lower radiator hoses and let coolant drain. Refill system with your 50/50 mix. And you have yourself what most "stealerships" call a coolant flush and fill. As far as flushing the system water works as well as anything sold.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Drain coolant. Fill with DISTILLED water. Run engine with heater on HI until engine reaches operating temp. Let engine cool. Drain coolant.

Repeat 2-3x.

Engine flushed.

Fill with 1/2 the listed volume of coolant (100% antifreeze) in the manual (eg, if the manual says 7.5L of coolant capacity, fill with 3.75L of 100% coolant). Top off with distilled water (this gives you a 50:50 mix).

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
Drain coolant. Fill with DISTILLED water. Run engine with heater on HI until engine reaches operating temp. Let engine cool. Drain coolant.

Repeat 2-3x.

Engine flushed.

Fill with 1/2 the listed volume of coolant (100% antifreeze) in the manual (eg, if the manual says 7.5L of coolant capacity, fill with 3.75L of 100% coolant). Top off with distilled water (this gives you a 50:50 mix).

I made up a radiator drain plug to garden hose connection, using a piece of clear tubing.
That way I could see what was running out.

And of course just let the coolant drain into the street.
/sarc