Diff Locks

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
On my DII, that's around 250 pounds of rotating mass, give or take. I can't remember the exact number at the moment. That's not a small amount.
To add some precision to this discussion: what matters in this context is moment of inertia, not rotating mass.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
To add some precision to this discussion: what matters in this context is moment of inertia, not rotating mass.

Absolutely correct. I should have been more specific.

I was trying to keep it easily digestible for everyone, but that was probably a poor choice on my part.

Cheers,

Kennith

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Sometime in 2000 or early 2001, Land Rover denied D2 owners the ability to even retrofit their vehicles with center diff lock (short of replacement of the transfer case with the earlier or 2004 unit). It was reinstated with much pomp and without any explanation in 2004 model year.
You can check if the transfer case in your truck has the "nipple" to attach the CDL linkage.

I think this is correct, but I think the real fucking BMW handed us was about a year or so later than you stated. As I remember it the nose cone with the center diff lock was present but not hooked up to anything until later. When they spent money to make a new front output housing without a lever for a diff lock it was just a big fuck you.

But as far as full time 4 wheel drive as apposition to all wheel drive comes down to the 2 speed transfer case. If you only have one speed t case it's AWD.

There is no good reason to lock a steering axle on a truck you plan to drive on the street. Unless your really good at replacing axles and body panels.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I think this is correct, but I think the real fucking BMW handed us was about a year or so later than you stated. As I remember it the nose cone with the center diff lock was present but not hooked up to anything until later. When they spent money to make a new front output housing without a lever for a diff lock it was just a big fuck you.

But as far as full time 4 wheel drive as apposition to all wheel drive comes down to the 2 speed transfer case. If you only have one speed t case it's AWD.

There is no good reason to lock a steering axle on a truck you plan to drive on the street. Unless your really good at replacing axles and body panels.

I just don't see how that saved them money. It seems more like removing a point of user error to prevent complaints.

It does come across as a bit of a "fuck you", in that respect. There's no real business case for the removal unless some piece of data has been lost that illustrated an intent.

Cheers,

Kennith

Tultime

Sep 12, 2018
NY
I appreciate everyone's input and patience. I think I will upgrade the transfer case first and when I can, I'll upgrade the front and rear diffs. I plan on keeping this Disco for a very long time. I want to make it as capable as I can afford to make it for my purposes. Thanks

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Get your transfer case lockable and you'll probably find that you don't need locking diffs front & rear. At least that was the case for me. I had an ARB locker in the rear diff of my old 1996 D1 and I fully planned on installing an ARB rear in my 2004 D2. I went so far as to install the ARB compressor in the rear cargo area. Then I realized how effective traction control on these things really is.

jastutte

Nov 10, 2009
Get your transfer case lockable and you'll probably find that you don't need locking diffs front & rear. At least that was the case for me. I had an ARB locker in the rear diff of my old 1996 D1 and I fully planned on installing an ARB rear in my 2004 D2. I went so far as to install the ARB compressor in the rear cargo area. Then I realized how effective traction control on these things really is.

this^^.

down at the family farm i have never gotten stuck anywhere, while the F250's with locking front hubs all have.

i know it's not an apples to apples comparison with the F250's having such a long wheel base, but i watched my dad bury the front tires in both loose gravel and mud several times.

i've been really happy with the locked center diff and traction control of the '04 D2.