Importing 1991 Defenders

pinkytoe69

Jan 14, 2012
minnesota
We're at the 25 year point right?

Does this mean I can go to eBay UK and get one of these shipped just as easily as a bar of toblerone?

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
sure...find the one with a transplanted TDCI, new Puma bulkhead and Boost rims...it will sail right thru customs

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Would you buy a 25-year old Discovery from Pennsylvania? Consider sourcing a vehicle from a country where rust is less of an issue.

Reactions: discostew

Leadvagas

Jun 10, 2010
Leadville CO
About 8 years ago a friend of mine brought in two series III's, a 90 hard top County and a 110 pick up cab. All in all it was mostly painless, there was a hassle with the VIN not being long enough and the title work was a little tricky IIRC. The real problem was that VG to Ex condition is a relative term, over here they were Good condition at best. Personally, if I was going to go through the hassle, I would go over and find one and then bring it back. Bear in mind that in England, a 25 year old Rover is a beater. Cars in Europe are expensive to own in every way, don't plan on a bargain. But they do have some cool shit that we don't have!

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
I think Defenders are significantly more expensive and not as common outside of the UK.

stu454 said:
Agreed. The Italian and Spanish trucks that I've found online are still pretty damned pricey for a 25 year-old farm truck.

You guys have not been looking in the places I have been looking. Which is good - I'll have my pick of the lot when it comes time to make my purchase. Generally speaking it should be possible to bring two D110s back and the sale of one will cover all acquisition/shipping/importation costs of both. Including some maintenance done before they leave...where labor and parts are cheap.

Reactions: tpsykes

Timmy!!!!!!!

Jun 7, 2004
Bourbon Street
www.facebook.com
I plan on taking my fiance to Spain because she is pretty fluent in spanish to pick out a Defender.

Pros: She is really good at haggling because she does purchasing for a company that makes interior parts for cars.

Cons: She works in the automotive industry so she knows how high maintenance these rovers are. She would prefer me to have a toyota.

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I plan on taking my fiance to Spain because she is pretty fluent in spanish to pick out a Defender.

Pros: She is really good at haggling because she does purchasing for a company that makes interior parts for cars.

Cons: She works in the automotive industry so she knows how high maintenance these rovers are. She would prefer me to have a toyota.

I thought you were supposed to buy that rack back? And then sell me the whole package in a few years??:rofl:

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I'll trade you some fine china for the rack. I have no idea why we registered for that stuff.

Because womenstuff. And she probably won't let you ever use it. Ever.

I suspect she'll have hand towels in the bathroom that you can't use, as well.

Welcome to marriage!

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Because womenstuff. And she probably won't let you ever use it. Ever.

I suspect she'll have hand towels in the bathroom that you can't use, as well.

Welcome to marriage!

Meanwhile we are registering on Amazon because the Snow Peak selection is better than REI.

Ed Cheung

Aug 23, 2006
Hong Kong
Bringing this old thread back to the surface, iI can get hold of a bunch of Ex-military LR, at least 30 light-weight and bunch of series I and II. Those can be restore to a pretty good conditions , all are LHD. Is there anywhere that I can find people in the US interested in it? D90 forum I guess?

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
Bringing this old thread back to the surface, iI can get hold of a bunch of Ex-military LR, at least 30 light-weight and bunch of series I and II. Those can be restore to a pretty good conditions , all are LHD. Is there anywhere that I can find people in the US interested in it? D90 forum I guess?

Series 1s will be in demand anywhere.

Ed Cheung

Aug 23, 2006
Hong Kong
Those are waiting to be restore.
There is even a FC101 radio body.
From the view of the FC101 driver position, that is a complete restored series I.