Disco re-fresh. Matte wrap, paint, stuff

seanmcd

Apr 24, 2006
I painted the roof satin black, still unsure of how I like it but my wife loves the look so I will probably keep it. If I change my mind I will wrap it in the same Matte Charcoal the rest is wrapped with.

Also note that I went with the roof bar delete option, I like how smooth it looks but again, if I change my mind I still have them in my garage all painted, just need to drop the headliner a bit and bolt them on.

I also got my headliner material and went thru the very long painful process of removing that awful foam backing from the headliner structure. What a mess. I went with the black headliner, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the look contrasted with the creme leather and trim. I will post pics of it later today.

I also removed the door panels and tried to dye the material part black, it looked ok but I was a little unhappy with how well it looked mostly based on how old the material is, its almost 15 years old now. SO I removed the material and am having the material replaced with new, I will post those pics when I get them back.

The back bumper was of course cracked and while I was wrapping it I cracked it more, the plastic was so brittle it literally shattered. SO I have a new steel bumper on the way from Atlantic British, the same one I have on the front. They are having a sale and I had a 10% discount coupon so it is costing me a little under $400 shipped.

Anyway, here are some pics.

seanmcd

Apr 24, 2006
A few more, with a similar picture with the black roof and gray roof for comparison.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Interested to hear your experience with the door panel cloth material. Mine is black so it doesn't show dirt but it does show wear in the odd black/gray weave pattern. Would like to replace it with a solid black material.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
I painted the roof satin black, still unsure of how I like it but my wife loves the look so I will probably keep it. If I change my mind I will wrap it in the same Matte Charcoal the rest is wrapped with.

Not that my opinion matters in the least, but I would prefer the roof to match.

seanmcd

Apr 24, 2006
Not that my opinion matters in the least, but I would prefer the roof to match.

I think I agree, but the vote here at home is 3-1 for the black roof so it will probably stay. I have extra Vinyl to wrap it if I decide to so it's no issue if I change my mind.

seanmcd

Apr 24, 2006
Interested to hear your experience with the door panel cloth material. Mine is black so it doesn't show dirt but it does show wear in the odd black/gray weave pattern. Would like to replace it with a solid black material.

I am anxious to see how it looks too, will post pics as soon as I get them back.

Here are a few pics of the headliner. Personally I love it, really makes the interior pop in my opinion.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Headliner looks great. I have to get off my ass someday and replace my headliner with black.

seanmcd

Apr 24, 2006
Headliner looks great. I have to get off my ass someday and replace my headliner with black.

Thank you!

Like ALL things in life, the first time is the hardest. After you know how it comes down and goes back up it really is pretty easy. The hardest part is removing the foam from the headliner shell. After that it's just time and patience gluing the fabric back on and then put everything back together. I also has a slight leak from my sunroof drain and took care of that while it was apart.

4Runner

May 24, 2007
Boise Idaho
For what it is worth. Buy great glue. Over the top great glue. I ran out 2/3 of the way through my headliner and grabbed a can from NAPA. It was not the same, and harder to work with. I think the black is a great choice.

seanmcd

Apr 24, 2006
For what it is worth. Buy great glue. Over the top great glue. I ran out 2/3 of the way through my headliner and grabbed a can from NAPA. It was not the same, and harder to work with. I think the black is a great choice.

I bought the headliner package from Headliner Express, they send you enough headliner material and 2 cans of what I assume to be high quality spray glue. One point for anyone trying this is to be VERY careful when spraying the glue on the headliner or shell, it comes out in odd floating streams and if it gets on your headliner it is WHITE, so with a black headliner it shows. Trust me on this one.

seanmcd

Apr 24, 2006
I finally finished the truck, the rear bumper came in and that was the last major thing to do. Here are a few pics of the finished truck, along with my day job. I am still undecided on the black roof, I have extra vinyl wrap and will give it a few months to see if it grows on me, if not I will wrap the roof with the same Charcoal Matte and put the roof bars back on. Time will tell.

Still not bad for a 14 year old truck.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Here are the door panels with the black armrest area.

What material did you use for the black fabric? I've had my door panels off plenty of times but I've never looked closely at those fabric-covered sections. Do those sections remove easily? I might get some fabric and try pulling/gluing it on myself.