Disco re-fresh. Matte wrap, paint, stuff

seanmcd

Apr 24, 2006
What material did you use for the black fabric? I've had my door panels off plenty of times but I've never looked closely at those fabric-covered sections. Do those sections remove easily? I might get some fabric and try pulling/gluing it on myself.

I had a local boat upholsterer guy do it as I really didn't know what to use either. He used a sort of headliner material, it is a fabric not vinyl, but has a pretty soft texture. The guy told me it is pretty easy EXCEPT for the edge where it ends, he said it is very hard to make that look right. For mine he made a small welt around the edge, it looks really good in my opinion.

Those sections don't really "remove", what you have to do it peel the suede cover off and under that is a thin layer of foam that needs to be removed, much like the headliner. In my case it was worth it as I had put so much time into the headliner and wanted it to match and look good.

You can also use fabric paint, it looks really good but when it dries is has a rough texture, it is not very soft.

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
You have any experience with just wrapping in clear vinyl? I'd like to protect the current pain I have from the inevitable desert pinstripes that happen here. I'd really consider doing a matte clear finish too.

seanmcd

Apr 24, 2006
You have any experience with just wrapping in clear vinyl? I'd like to protect the current pain I have from the inevitable desert pinstripes that happen here. I'd really consider doing a matte clear finish too.

Sorry I really have very little experience in vinyl, this was my first time wrapping anything.

I gave the satin black roof a month or so and couldn't get warm to it, so I pulled it back in the garage and wrapped it in Matte Charcoal Gray like the rest of the car. While I was at it I also put the roof bars back on, I like this look much better.

I have the new rear bumper installed and replaced the lights in the bumper. I honestly don't know what the red half of the light does, so I wired them into the brake lights so I have 5 rear brake lights for my 16 year old daughter. I also replaced all the 1156 and 1157 bulbs with projectile LED bulbs, much brighter.

So here it is.

seanmcd

Apr 24, 2006
Definitely looks better with the matching roof!! The whole thing really does look awesome though, good job!

Thank you, I really appreciate that. A lot of time and work went into it and I am really happy how it turned out. I also concur about the roof, I really didn't like the black roof but my wife and kid did so I kept it, though most likely she was sick of me spending every waking moment in the garage and just wanted it done so you know.

Wrapping the roof was pretty easy, I learned alot from wrapping the rest of it and time is experience, it came out pretty clean with just a few wrinkles only the birds can see.

Thanks

seanmcd

Apr 24, 2006
Where they the rear fog lamps?

Probably, I can't really see a use for rear fog lights. I could not get them to turn on no matter what I did but the bulbs worked so I just wired them into brake lights and installed some super bright LED bulbs, win/win.

bnmack1

Apr 14, 2014
Ga
Sorry I really have very little experience in vinyl, this was my first time wrapping anything.

I gave the satin black roof a month or so and couldn't get warm to it, so I pulled it back in the garage and wrapped it in Matte Charcoal Gray like the rest of the car. While I was at it I also put the roof bars back on, I like this look much better.

I have the new rear bumper installed and replaced the lights in the bumper. I honestly don't know what the red half of the light does, so I wired them into the brake lights so I have 5 rear brake lights for my 16 year old daughter. I also replaced all the 1156 and 1157 bulbs with projectile LED bulbs, much brighter.

So here it is.

Very clean looking rig! Good job! I dig the new bumper.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
Probably, I can't really see a use for rear fog lights. I could not get them to turn on no matter what I did but the bulbs worked so I just wired them into brake lights and installed some super bright LED bulbs, win/win.
Follow a car in serious fog. Like pea fucking soup, can't see 100 feet fog.
1 car will have no lights visible from behind, since their vehicle has DRLs, which idiotically lights the dash so the asswipe driver has no fucking idea they're running in the dark, but nothing on the back of the car. You'll not even see it until you practically hit it.
1 car will have only park lights visible, unless they hit the brakes. Park lights only is better than nothing, but in heavy fog, you still get pretty close before you see them.
Rear fogs are like brake lights, much more visible.

Some cars have rear fogs that come on with the front fogs, which is ok, except for the weiners that always drive with their front fog lights on.
Rear fog lights, used correctly, are useful so people behind you see you before they turn you into a hood ornament.
Same rationale as using lights in the rain. You can't see any better, but others can see you better.

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Rear fog lights, used correctly, are useful so people behind you see you before they turn you into a hood ornament.

Yep, had to have rear fog hooked up in the RRC to pass the Swiss inspection.

Seperate switch powers it.

Pretty sure the rear fog light is only on the driver side, yet, not sure as haven't use the switch since we're back in the US.

And yes, very annoying to see them on with cars that have them wired to be on with the front fogs.

Of course having fog lights being used just to be cool is also lame.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
Pretty sure the rear fog light is only on the driver side, yet, not sure as haven't use the switch since we're back in the US.
Speaking of lights only on one side...
Parking lights in England.
You can set left side or right side lights on when you're parked.
Let's say I park my car on the right shoulder of the road, so the nearest traffic is on my left.
Do I turn on the lights on my left side or my right side?
Why not both sides?
Never had a clear understanding of that.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Speaking of lights only on one side...
Parking lights in England.
You can set left side or right side lights on when you're parked.
Let's say I park my car on the right shoulder of the road, so the nearest traffic is on my left.
Do I turn on the lights on my left side or my right side?
Why not both sides?
Never had a clear understanding of that.

Illuminate the side that's next to the traffic lane. Don't waste battery power on the curb side lights.

seanmcd

Apr 24, 2006
Follow a car in serious fog. Like pea fucking soup, can't see 100 feet fog.
1 car will have no lights visible from behind, since their vehicle has DRLs, which idiotically lights the dash so the asswipe driver has no fucking idea they're running in the dark, but nothing on the back of the car. You'll not even see it until you practically hit it.
1 car will have only park lights visible, unless they hit the brakes. Park lights only is better than nothing, but in heavy fog, you still get pretty close before you see them.
Rear fogs are like brake lights, much more visible.

Some cars have rear fogs that come on with the front fogs, which is ok, except for the weiners that always drive with their front fog lights on.
Same rationale as using lights in the rain. You can't see any better, but others can see you better.

I agree with your comments, if I were keeping the car for myself and lived anywhere but South Florida I would have tried harder to keep the fog lights. However where we live fog is not an issue, my biggest concern is the 2 million 90 year old blue hairs driving around town in their little convertibles trying to learn how to use their fucking iphone. I worry about my kid getting rear ended by a car and if I can put two more very bright brake lights down on the same level as 90% of the cars around here I felt that was a better use of those lights for my current situation.

However I agree having all the lights you can to keep people from hitting you has significantly value. I taught all of my kids that the second thing they do after buckling their seatbelt is turn their headlights on and they stay on until they turn the key off.

wjsj69

Oct 11, 2017
Delaware Co. PA
For all the cunts that refer to their Land Rover as a "rig", please see photo for difference between "Land Rover" and "rig".

Same term, slightly different meaning. As in; nice job rigging all that off-road gear together and having it look/work nicely. -or, nice rig. On a big-rig it's; nice job rigging that load together or, nice rig. Where's the violation??

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Same term, slightly different meaning. As in; nice job rigging all that off-road gear together and having it look/work nicely. -or, nice rig. On a big-rig it's; nice job rigging that load together or, nice rig. Where's the violation??

Referring to an SUV as a "rig" is as referring to gun magazines as "clips."

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Yesterday someone asked me what year my rig is. I beat him senseless for his social faux pas.