steering links with heim joints

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
nothing...just more readily available than the Land Rover TRE...

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Denny made those...and they actually do serve a purpose like Brett said and lets you use a heim without drilling out the knuckle says the parrot
Actually Denny made a tapered adapter to run a standard heim. What I posted is different. Maybe Foundry 4x4 or RedWinch made them?

Frank, what makes them better than standard TREs? Better steel the heim adapter is made out of? No chance of tearing the TRE's ball out of socket?
Simply using heims instead of TREs does not strike me as a purpose. You could use 1-ton GM TREs if you were unhappy with Land Rover stock.
The GM TRE's require grinding the brake caliper IIRC.

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
Copy that about the heim, didnt look at the picture in detail and yes you do have to grind the caliper to fit a GM TRE

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
IIRC, you only needed to ream the TRE seat for a different cone angle for 1-ton GM TREs. Wasn't it Dan Chapman who used them?

I thought Toyota TRE's just needed reaming but GM needed caliper grinding. Or maybe I have that backwards.
Not sure what TRE this is but its from a D1.

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
ok....so...I think I am going to drill out the TRE mounts and use the heims. I am sure this is the "dweb unpopular" decision, but my truck is almost exclusively (with the exception of some weekend trips around town) a trail truck. I want the heims for strength. I am most likely going to buy the heims from ruffstuff specialties. They made the panhard stuff and I am impressed....