Misfire Under Load

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
Engine idles smooth and sounds good. I’m getting the flashing CEL and P0302 code (misfire on cylinder 2) when the engine is reved and reaches 1800-2000 rpm. Plugs and wires are relatively old, but not high mileage. I swapped the #2 and #4 plungs and the miss stayed the same. I also switched the #2 and #1 wire. The miss did not move.

I have a few questions:

1. How do I test the coils to eliminate them as being bad?
2. Although they don’t seems to be bad, should I replace the plugs and wires anyway since they are getting old?

Edit to add: Truck in question is a 2000 DII.

Last edited:

special ed

Apr 11, 2012
Elsinore
Since no one else has chimed in.

As far as coils, they usually fail on 2 cylinders when they arc.

To start since it is only 1 cylinder failing look at things directly affecting that one cylinder.
Injector orings
failed injector
vacuum test for valve issue
leak down test and compression test.

As far as back to the coil you can swap the coils side to side but since thats a bit of work for the inexperienced maybe just throw a new one in there.

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
Thanks, Ed!

I?m suspicious of a failing injector or o-ring considering I appear to have fuel and a spark. The engine is just shy of 102,000.

Dave03S

Jun 22, 2012
Seattle, Wa
A few other things to consider, if you have been using cheap or low octane fuel you could have a gummed up injector. Also if you have low oil pressure issues and have worn a lobe down on your camshaft... and finally coolant in the cylinder will cause this. Hopefully its just the wires.

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
Well, I finally got around to changing the plugs and wires. Kingsborne 8mm wires and Champion 7070 (rc11pypb4) plugs. The misfire is still there. I also gave it a Seafoam treatment as a long shot, but no luck. Going to do a compression test this week and see what I find.

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
Compression tested the engine today. Frankly, the results surprised me as I was figuring on a head gasket leak. Results are as follows:

1. 150
2. 155 (misfiring cylinder)
3. 145
4. 165
5. 150
6. 145
7. 150
8. 155

Now for a few questions...based on the test results am I safe to assume it's not a gasket or valve issue? How do I test for a bad injector or injector O ring?

Edit to add: test was done with the throttle closed because I'm and idiot and forgot to hold the pedal to the floor...

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
My D2 has suffered from misfire under load for a long time. Has a ton of miles so I just figure it is sticking valves or other mechanical issues not worth trying to fix. I just replace parts as they die. Recently my ac blower motor stopped working which I traced to the under dash fuse panel. Installed a used one and ever since the loaded misfire has gone away. I'm not holding my breath but research on this forum does shed light on low voltage to the coil packs also an issue with the under dash fuse panel.

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
Finally got it sorted out this afternoon. To recap what I had done:

Initially I had multiple codes so I changed the very, very old O2 sensors. This fixed all issues expect the misfire on #2. I tired swapping plugs and wires around to diagnose and the miss remained on #2. Next step was Seafoam through the intake along with new plugs and wires. (8mm Kingsborne) Still the miss remained. I then ran a compression test that the engine passed. After that I swapped in a "new" fuel injector from an old overheated engine. No success. Finally bought an Allmakes 4x4 coil from AB on sale. Put it in today and success! No more misfire and no codes. The old Disco is back up and running. I also determined that he misfire was constant and not under load. However, it took about 1800rpm to trip the flashing CEL.

Now for a new wiper motor and rear door lock actuator. Then I guess I'll tacked the frame and undercarriage rust that appear to probably be terminal after that...

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
That's great. I've had coils fail both in series as they should and one hole on its own which in theory shouldn't
happen.
Mine seems better and much smoother so that fuse box did something but its on borrowed time with an amazing 250k on that engine.