Input on best tires for LR3

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
Ive had the cooper LTZ's and GY Duratrac's on it in 19in, but now have 18 in tires.

The pirellis that came with it are good in the dry, but on our way home from Wilmington today in a moderate downpour the truck skipped a few times in standing water. Never had that happen with the other tires, ever, and we get a lot of rain.

Looking for a moderately aggressive AT that is good in the rain, and good for wear. I know LR3's eat tires but I someone out there has had to have come up with the magic combination now that they have been on the road for 13ish years now.

Currently looking at another set of GY Duratrac's or GY Silent Armor in 265/60R18.

I ran the SA's on my D2 and they were great, the Duratrac's in 19 were shit. Hopefully this size will be a bit better.

Thanks for the input as always.

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
I run 275/70R18 General Grabber AT’s and they’ve been amazing. I’ve run them off-road at Hollister Park in Ncal, through the sand at Pismo beach and driven all four corners of the country, from Oregon to LA all the way across the US (stopped in Moab) and from Ft. Bragg to Maine. Heavy snow storms in the N. East and they were flawless.

Currently have about 60k on them and they are almost ready for a new set. These tires are so impressive that all my brothers have put them on their trucks and I run them on my disco as well.

No weird wear patterns. Stay well balanced. Great stability cornering and towing. Great looking tire too. I think I got them from discount tire which saved me shipping as opposed to tirerack. I’ll def be getting another set soon.

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
I run 275/70R18 General Grabber AT?s and they?ve been amazing. I?ve run them off-road at Hollister Park in Ncal, through the sand at Pismo beach and driven all four corners of the country, from Oregon to LA all the way across the US (stopped in Moab) and from Ft. Bragg to Maine. Heavy snow storms in the N. East and they were flawless.

Currently have about 60k on them and they are almost ready for a new set. These tires are so impressive that all my brothers have put them on their trucks and I run them on my disco as well.

No weird wear patterns. Stay well balanced. Great stability cornering and towing. Great looking tire too. I think I got them from discount tire which saved me shipping as opposed to tirerack. I?ll def be getting another set soon.

Whose lift rods did you use?

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
I’m running 2” OME HD coils so gives me about a 3” lift. Def more than the Johnson lifting rods I had on before. Had to do a little trimming on the front bumper and the frame horn behind the tire as it rubs a bit at full lock

Next set will be the Grabber AT’s 275/65’s r18

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
I'm running 275/65/18 KO2's after having Terragrapplers on (those were terrible). I am impressed with the KO2s.

Wife is running the General Grabbers on her Tacoma-they're nice tires for sure and not a bad option either.

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
I'm running 275/65/18 KO2's after having Terragrapplers on (those were terrible). I am impressed with the KO2s.

Wife is running the General Grabbers on her Tacoma-they're nice tires for sure and not a bad option either.

How many miles do you have on the KO2's? Ive had BFG's on my truck before with mixed results. The older AT's were great, the rest were shit.

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
How many miles do you have on the KO2's? Ive had BFG's on my truck before with mixed results. The older AT's were great, the rest were shit.

Only 20k so far, but they are doing very well.

I've been very happy with both KO2s on the LR3 and the KM2s on my D1; having had KOs and KMs of the previous generation previously I think they're a step up in both arenas.

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
About the same mileage here too. Quiet with low even wear. Very durable in rocks, decent deep snow traction, typical AT ice traction.

Concur.

My only issue with them, which is resident with every AT tire, is they tend to fill up with mud when it is nasty snot and not clear well-but that's really a comment about using an AT when you need an MT.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Another note.. In that size they rubbed near full lock. Added 3/4 BORA spacers and now zero rubbing and they sit nearly flush with the wheel arches. Looks more natural than the tucked in factory track width.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
BFG ko2 and km2 now but put over 70k on bfg at ko1 before selling them with 1/4" depth left. I do rotate all 5 and also a couple times will do a tire flip which helps a lot on the lr3 or other independent suspension rovers as they wear the inside edge much faster.

LR Max

May 1, 2004
Hotlanta, GA
I've got 10k on a set of BFG 265/60/18 All terrains. I really like them. A touch louder than the worn out janky set of tires the car came with, but nothing the radio can't square away. Very good traction all around. I have had trouble with them on super slick muddy hills, but I'd like to think there is some understanding there.

Also I got a 245/65/18 tire as my spare. Same diameter, but narrow. Fits great in the stock location and doesn't hang down. Had to buy the tire off ebay, but it was new and had decent date code on the side. Its nice to have a real tire, but not intrusive...you know...like any other vehicle manufacturer would offer without having to overthink it. I have a few friends with oversized tires on their LR3s and what to do with the spare is always a battle (without throwing it on the roof or getting a swing away or whatever).

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
I've got 10k on a set of BFG 265/60/18 All terrains. I really like them. A touch louder than the worn out janky set of tires the car came with, but nothing the radio can't square away. Very good traction all around. I have had trouble with them on super slick muddy hills, but I'd like to think there is some understanding there.

Also I got a 245/65/18 tire as my spare. Same diameter, but narrow. Fits great in the stock location and doesn't hang down. Had to buy the tire off ebay, but it was new and had decent date code on the side. Its nice to have a real tire, but not intrusive...you know...like any other vehicle manufacturer would offer without having to overthink it. I have a few friends with oversized tires on their LR3s and what to do with the spare is always a battle (without throwing it on the roof or getting a swing away or whatever).

265/65x18 bfg fits fine underneath but removing the heat shield that will get torn off on a trail anyway helps the fit be less tight.

Jrod

Oct 8, 2015
Boise
265/65x18 Copper Discoverer A/T 3. I have found that the A/T 3 is much better for winter driving conditions than the KO1 we had on prior, or even the KO2's I have on the D2 (I may be the only person that does not trust the KO2). The A/T 3 has very little wear after around 10k miles.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
there is no reason not to "trust" the bfg ko2. it isn't even advertised as being a killer winter tire.... You want true traction in snow, get the Nokian Rotiva AT or a serious winter tire the Hakkapellitta LT2

bnmack1

Apr 14, 2014
Ga
I just put BFG KO2's on my fuel wheels and they work great. I'm very pleased with the traction, cornering and braking with these tires. They are just a bit noisier than my last set of all-seasons but that's what to expect out of AT's.

Reactions: BarryO

1MITCH1

Jan 24, 2007
Daphne,AL
I'm a big fan of the Dura-tracs . Had them on four different trucks. On the LR3 I'm running the proud rhino lift rods and 20" rims from a late model RR.
275/55-20, about 12k miles on them so far with minimal signs of wear.