Cell phone headset help

Great Pumpkin

Apr 20, 2004
New Jersey
Hi -- I am about to get a new cell and I am finally giving in to the Bluetooth headset craze. But, I haven't had much luck with the over-the-ear ones in the past. Personally I like my old-school wired one. It's nice -- kinda like a football coach's headset.

I wear glasses (RX -- no contacts) and have small ears.

I cannot tell from ANY photos online which units have earpieces that don't get jammed into your ear. That is, my ears cannot handle the "bud" style (like iPod headphones) and I am not a big fan of the Secret Service-type ear plugs either. My ears are rather small and both of those styles hurt.

I am really looking for something like this (for the ear piece part):

http://www.i-prodigy.com/images/headphone_Cosonic660.gif

In fact, I currently have a Plantronics wired unit similar to this: http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/cat1150057/cat12200...

So something like that but WIRELESS.

Anyone using something like that? Discretion is not important for me -- it'll only be for car and house use -- not slick, on the go, cool business guy stuff :)

Thanks.

--MLP

F18Guy

Mar 30, 2004
Down by the big rock
My work phone is a MotoRazr V3M and I use the Plantronics Discovery 665 Bluetooth Headset. The 665 comes with the secret service style ear buds, but it also has an extra support attachment if required. I am very happy with the performance...

Link to the 665

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
I have a Jabra BT headset that came with a blackberry kit. It's over the ear but doesn't poke you in the ear. For car use, get one with a speaking tube. In the Rover no one can hear me on the jabra. I wore a wired spy-like earpiece for 2 years, and it grows on you. I wouldn't notice it, but you get strange looks walking down the street. If I had a black suit I'd look like Agent Smith. :D

I agree with the ear bud comments, they don't fit me either. guess I can't be cool and styling with my white earbuds, just have to use my Sennheisers and be uncool. (my mp3 player is a diamond rio, so I'm not cool anyway)

Cnet's BT review: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6454_7-5140288-1.html

G

gil stevens

people look stupid with telephones stuck to their ears

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
kinda off topic, but for those who have noisy datacenters, tarmacs, or industrial shops: I highly recommend Plantronics Industrial headset . It's full ear, binaural with a boom mike. Has the standard plantronics quick connect, but you can get adapters with cell or cordless phones. I have one with a CA10 for our datacenter. Frees up both hands to type while on tech support calls.

G

gil stevens

law? is that the kind of stuff they are passing these days up there in joosey?

Great Pumpkin

Apr 20, 2004
New Jersey
gil stevens said:
law? is that the kind of stuff they are passing these days up there in joosey?

Yep -- 'tis the law. I agree that people look pretty dumb with those things, but if you drive and want to talk, headset or speaker phone is the law.

Also, when driving a stick, it can be a bitch to talk, steer and shift.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
FWIW I was going to get a bluetooth, but then decided for as little as I talk on the phone when I'm some place I can't hold the phone, and for the price diffference, I'd just use a wired one.
But I guess the advantage of bluetooth is you can use it with other phones as you upgrade. Which I don't do often, this is only my 3rd phone in 7 years, and one is because I switched carriers.