Water Pump 99 Disco 1

E

Edward

I have ordered a new pump from Rover Connection and Serpintine belt and gasket. Read all the old post on the subject. However I hope some one can help with a couple of questions. First what size wrench fits the nut on the back of the viscous drive, and am I correct that it is proably reverse threads? I am sure you could put an adjustable on it but I hate those things no matter how nice of one you have it seems to all ways chew the nut up you are trying to remove. What are folks doing in regards to the belt tensioner, can you put a wrench on the idler pulley nut and apply enough presurre to push it down to easy off the old belt and slip on the new one? One last question, what about replacing the coolant when finished, any tricks that I need to beaware of, other than refilling, leave cap off unitl thermostat opens, then fill on up?

I welcome any and all tips from people who have performed this job.

Thanks
Ed

wrldky

Apr 21, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Water Pump

I just changed my water pump the week of Thanksgiving. It was easier then I thought but still scraped 1 nuckle.
As far as the belt tensioner I just slide a pipe on a wrench that gave me some extra leverage.
Some one had a reccomendation to use a strap wrench to remove the fan and I did and it worked like a charm.
When draining the radiator fluid I would try to find the largest widest container I could fine. The damn fluid went everywhere.
When refilling the fluid pour it in slow and squeeze some of the coolant lines to remove any air pockets.
What took me the longest was removing the old gasket. I used gasket remover and a meatl putty knife but it still took a while.
I believe the adavantage to doing it yourself is that I can't imagine any shop having the patience to remove that gasket.
Email me with any questions. Good Luck.
rcaulfield@worldkeyconsulting.com

Jam a screwdriver between the bolts holding the pulley on and the hub of the pump. Use a 1-7/16" wrench (it isn't exact, but it works) and give the wrench a rap, counter-clockwise (it's the classics that are left-hand thread). This is frighteningly similar to how the factory tool does the same job.

I use a brass brush on an air die grinder to take the gasket off.

Belt tensioner-15 m/m socket, turn it clockwise until you can take the belt off.

johnvigg

Nov 25, 2004
nj
my waterpump is still out and all the parts are on the bench as we speak, just waiting for the new one to come in. Let me know if you run into any trouble, its a very simple job though.

Vigg

E

Edward

Water Pump Installed

Well I got my water pump installed this weekend. I appreciate everyone?s advice on this site. Here are a couple of thoughts on the project. I was able to purchase a Ford fan clutch tool from Pep Boy for $12 that made removal quick and simple. Removing the old gasket was a little of a chore. The only issue I had was with the new water pump I wish I would have purchased O.E. vs. after market. The pump I got definitely was not the quality of the original equipment, it does work. The casting is rough, and I had to put washers under a couple of the bolt heads so they did not bottom out.

However I would have been disappointed to have paid the dealer to do this job. If you have basic mechanical skills this is a project easily handled.

Once again thanks to everyone who offered advice.

Ed