Engine Number

Swedjen2

Sep 12, 2018
California
Hello All,

I'm in the process of upgrading/repairing my 2001 D2. The engine's got a slipped liner that pumps hydrocarbons into the coolant and the tranny's throwing "I'm finished" codes. The rig has too many good mods/upgrades to junk just yet.
That said, can anyone point me in the right direction to track down the engine number data? It's 08D37975A. CR 9.37:1 is stamped above. Pretty sure it's the original engine. There is no SAI. I thought that was odd since I believe it is a California vehicle.
Build date is 09/00.

Thanks for any information and help.

special ed

Apr 11, 2012
Elsinore
Are you just looking for a replacement motor?

SAI is just on the heads, 4.0 and 4.6 engines are interchangable on discoII and P38 bosch motors. The heads are all the same either SAI or non SAI. SAI heads can be plugged off and used in non SAI car... 4.0 and 4.6 blocks are the same. Difference is in the crank, con rods and pistons.

So what are you trying to do?

Swedjen2

Sep 12, 2018
California
The plan is to replace the engine with a 4.8 ACR unit and replace the tranny with a ZF HP24. GBR Utah has used ACR for years if a customer needs an engine. It requires the ECU to be remapped to accomodate the 4.8. They do around 10/year.
I'm mostly curious as to what vehicle used a 08D37975A engine since I don't see a 08D serial number on any Rover engine list. The closest is 58Dxxxxxx. Those are 4.0 injected engines made from '98 on.

special ed

Apr 11, 2012
Elsinore
I just looked and one of the engines on the ground in the shop is a 08DXXX so you probably have a 4.6 in there. If you pull the pan or have the heads off you can verify it is a 4.6 by the stamp on the crank or by the piston top dish (trained eye) I believe this one came out of a 2003-3004 disco.

BTW just for a reality check thats a ton of money to spend on an ACR engine. You would be way better off spending the money on doing a diesel conversion or a LS swap. There are a few shops here is Cali that are doing that. Or save a ton of money and just cam up a sleeved 4.6. I have done a lot of them and just putting a cam in a fresh 4.6 really makes them run well. You could even port and polish the heads to open them up a bit, any decent machine shop can do that.

just my .02c

Swedjen2

Sep 12, 2018
California
Thanks for checking. Well, that's interesting the block numbers start the same. I wonder if the N.A. blocks were all 08Ds. I was looking on Rimmer and Gloyne sites in the U.K., so they may not have the N.A. block numbers. They definitely don't show it in their Rover V8 lists.

As far as the conversion itself, I chose ACR becuase I wanted an engine with the 4.6 Top Hat liners. I originally ordered one from AB, but they sent a 4.0L to my shop. By the time that was discovered, the 30 day return policy had passed and AB would not take it back, even though it was still wrapped. So AB is O-U-T going forward. I've "heard" they will take any crap block in exchange and others have had issues with their rebuilt engines, and the guy in Oklahoma is sketchy, at best. GBR has not had to replace any ACRs.
As far as a diesel, that would be my first choice, but this is Calif. As I understand the law, if Land Rover didn't sell a Disco in 2001 with a diesel, a retrofit diesel won't get approved. Unless you know different and can point me to a specific shop that can do it and get it approved...
Awhile back, I saw a D2 with a 300TDI conversion for sale in Oregon, I called a DMV referee station and asked the guy about getting that vehicle into Calif. Needless to say, he became quite excited - in a bad way. Basically, No chance.
But like I said, if you know something different, I'd be interested.

thanks!

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
You can pretty much forget any D2 diesel swap in California.

If I were you... I'd look for an early GEMS engine block, and build your engine around it. This "slipped liner" business began when the V8 production rate nearly doubled.

special ed

Apr 11, 2012
Elsinore
The slipped liner issue has nothing to do with the year, it has to do with heat. Gems engines run a fatter mixture and a cooler thermostat than the Bosch. The Bosch injection runs the system leaner and therfore hotter. Liners slip when the block is overheated. there are good ways to mitigate that like Evans coolant, thermostat mod... There are issues with blocks having cracks behind the liners but all of that can be corrected permanently with a T-Hat liner.

If you have a Lined 4.0 block from AB already just buy the internals and swap them in place of the 4.0 with the 4.6. throw a nice cam in there and viola you will be Good to Go.

JohnnoK

Mar 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Chronic overheating used to be the sole cause but by mid D2 production that wasn't the case anymore.

By the time they were making the GEMS and Bosch engines the tooling was getting tired and they were struggling to maintain tolerances when machining the blocks.
That is what prompted the colour coding of blocks based on ultrasonic testing at the factory.
You can buy a new red marked block if you have a spare kidney lying around...
https://www.v8tuner.co.uk/product.php?id=850