95 D1 stalling

Donno

Mar 7, 2015
Sechelt, BC
My 95 D1 started stalling yesterday. it's got to the point where it will start and run for about 15-30 seconds and then die. I'll leave it for a few minutes and try again only to have it do the same thing.

Going to troubleshoot further tonight but it seems to be spark related. Have fuel at the rail. Going to follow the FSM steps but just wondering if this is a common symptom of anything; coil or maybe amplifier module?

Did the 95's have a CPS?

Thanks.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
95s should not have crank- or camshaft position sensor. The 14CUX ECU gets all its timing information from the ignition coil.
Fuel at the rail - have you measured the pressure?
Poor idle or stalling on a 14CUX truck may be caused by worn out TPS (throttle position sensor) and dirty or malfunctioning IAC valve (right side of the intake plenum, in the back, with the four-pin connector).

mearstrae

Mar 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
I had a similar problem with my '95 RRC, it was a broken wire from the ignition coil to a resistor pack for the injectors. It's been a while, check out this circuit in the RAVE Manual.

'99 Disco II
'76 Series II Hybrid 109

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Resistor pack for the injectors??? Always something new.

OK, there's no resistor pack for the injectors. There is a 6.8kOhm resistor going from the switched low-voltage terminal of ignition coil to the 14CUX ECU - and that's the only thing that tells ECU about how fast the engine is spinning.

There's a great article about 14CUX - check it out: http://www.britishv8.org/articles/rover-14cux-efi.htm

Swedjen2

Sep 12, 2018
California
How old is your TPS? The IAC? Has it ever been cleaned? Then check and CLEAN all the ground wires you can get to.
I know a guy who ran a separate ground from the ECU to the chassis and hasn't had any ECU issues since.

Donno

Mar 7, 2015
Sechelt, BC
TPS is original as far as I know. I cleaned IAV when I got the truck.

Will read through the site on the 14CUX. Haven't checked the fuel pressure yet, will need to get a gauge for that.

What's interesting is that it's got aftermarket DRL that are triggered off one spark plug wire. When cranking, the headlights usually come on. Now they come on and turn off when cranking indicating a spark issue to me. Just need to troubleshoot further.

When it does run, it idles and revs fine, it just dies after a short time. It got progressively worst yesterday, stalling regularly after 10 minutes then 5 then 1 then 15 seconds. (those are guesstimates)

Thanks everyone

Donno

Mar 7, 2015
Sechelt, BC
Lol ya, I saw that on Amazon. After further troubleshooting, it didn't look like a spark issue and I went back to the fuel rail. Where it was pressurized the other day, it wasn't at all today. So started digging into the fuel pump. Seems like it has kicked the bucket. Put 12v directly to it and nothing. Got it towed home last night and started looking for a fuel pump.

Thanks all, at least I know a lot more about my ignition system now

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Another possibility is the pump wiring harness. I went through a couple pumps on my D1 before I figured out that the problem wasn't the pump, it was the pump not getting power. It's not a terribly expensive part and the swap is pretty quick.

Donno

Mar 7, 2015
Sechelt, BC
Been super busy and still troubleshooting this issue so here's an update. Seems like multiple issues going on. Fuel pump is working. Changed the wiring harness to it, it was shot. Changed the fuel filter. Cleaned the IAV again. Put a timing gone on the coil wire and seems to have consistent spark so don't think it's the amplifier module. (or could it still be?) It ran for about 15 seconds last night. When it dies, I seem to hear a relay click in passenger foot well. Check engine light comes on and code says 03.

Could the fuel pump relay or another relay have gone bad?

Cheers

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
It ran for about 15 seconds last night. When it dies, I seem to hear a relay click in passenger foot well. Check engine light comes on and code says 03.
That ...
If the ECU does not receive the signal from the ignition coil, it assumes the engine is not started, and cuts the power to the fuel pump after about 7-9 seconds. Extra few seconds may just be engine running while depleting the pressure in the fuel rail (it might run down to 10 psi).
The relay sound you're hearing may be the fuel pump relay shutting off the fuel pump.

Donno

Mar 7, 2015
Sechelt, BC
Got to spend some time on my disco today. It started right up and idled nicely for about 2-3 minutes, then turned off and wouldn't restart. Put timing gone on one spark plug wire, have spark. Pulled plug on fuel pump and hooked up test light. Turned key on and test light blipped for half a second. Turned key to start and nothing on the test light. Let it sit for a minute and tried again, nothing on the test light at all. So at this point it seems like there's no power to the fuel pump.

Changed both load relay and fuel relay, no change. Where does the ecu get it's signal that the engine is spinning to turn on the fuel pump? I'll pick up a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow and test the pressure as well.

Cheers

Donno

Mar 7, 2015
Sechelt, BC
Just found info on the engine speed resistor off the coil. I checked mine, there were two ( 5 speed). One to the ecu and one to the speed trip module from what I can find. Tested both - one was about 6.78 kohms and the other about 7.9 kohms. I tried swapping around but no change. Any idea if that one is too far out of range at 7.9 kohms?

Last edited: