No more epic trips, or, the Decline of DWeb

utahdog2003

Apr 20, 2004
North Florida
I don't poke in around here much anymore, so I'll add my two cents from the absentee 'member' perspective. To me things don't seem that different at all. Lots of arguing, complaining, and political anger is still the norm. Just like it always was.

Maybe those of you who think things are downhill are just now realizing that once you read all the trip reports and the like, all that is really left is arguing about steel Camaro wheels and hood black out stickers?

For what its worth, I still own and get out and use the truck. I like the experience as much as I ever did.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Yep, just took my nephew camping and up the back road from Lake Pleasant to Crown King just north of Phoenix. Probably the 10th time I've run this road and it's as fun as it ever was.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I came across the thread again when doing a search.

I miss the Discoweb that I remember from 2004-2006 or so. I definitely lost some interest in Land Rovers around 2008 or so but still always had several. I guess I more lost interest in off-roading.

I think one of the key differences is that not many people on here seemingly are not close friends in person which seemed to be more of the case back in the day. I know plenty of us know each other IRL, but only see each other once or twice a year at Rover events. Maybe its time for some Discoweb meet ups.

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
I probably missed the peak of Discoweb and the Rover scene but even a number of people I knew have gotten out of Rovers. Ive scaled back on my off roading as I’ve gotten older. A combination of tiring of breaking/fixing stuff and a lot of the decent trails being shut down. Besides a handful of trails or private off road parks, a Subaru could get you most places in the southeast. Of course the decent trails are usually clogged with incompetent drivers in MaxTraxxxx clad 5th Gen’s or JK’s each weekend. I am trying to get out more to different Rover events. Went to MAR last year and had a great time. Planning a week trip to Utah in April/May with a few Rover guys if anyone wants to join

Last edited:

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I came across the thread again when doing a search.

I miss the Discoweb that I remember from 2004-2006 or so. I definitely lost some interest in Land Rovers around 2008 or so but still always had several. I guess I more lost interest in off-roading.

I think one of the key differences is that not many people on here seemingly are not close friends in person which seemed to be more of the case back in the day. I know plenty of us know each other IRL, but only see each other once or twice a year at Rover events. Maybe its time for some Discoweb meet ups.

Part of the problem is the Rover community not being quite as dense. Same size world, fewer members, and a seemingly even distribution. Seems to me that smaller get-togethers would be much easier to arrange.

There's a website called Meet Up for just that sort of thing. If someone is clever enough here, a similar, more tamed system using the forum's built-in features could be used to keep people notified. Friend systems we never use, notifications, groups... Whatever.

I don't know. Vbulletin isn't exactly my forte, but there's bound to be a way to create a series of instructions for people to follow to grow a system without having to actually do much to make it exist. You don't need the NBA to play basketball. You only need a resilient object and a receptacle.

Age, injury, interest, time... They all affect this hobby eventually, but perhaps not as much if relatively local "pick up groups" are arranged, rather than attempting to organize a Rover Jeep Safari.

One thing is certain, and that's the fact that trying something is almost certainly better than trying nothing. There are a lot of people visiting the forum, but never really interacting. Maybe they're a little younger, and would interact more often if such features were available.

I'm not suggesting linking to anything else, obviously. Just... Using what's already here to jerry rig a meet up system. We have profiles, truck galleries, event forums, and (if justified enough and approved) we can probably break a few down into more specific regions.

There's bound to be a web developer here who can tell me what the hell I'm trying to say. :rofl:

Cheers,

Kennith

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Plenty of people still go on "epic trips." Only not all of them choose to organize them or post about them on Discoweb. I enjoy seeing the photos and reading about the journeys when they are posted here.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Plenty of people still go on "epic trips." Only not all of them choose to organize them or post about them on Discoweb. I enjoy seeing the photos and reading about the journeys when they are posted here.

For some reason, trip reports never seemed to gather audience on Discoweb. But... if you post'em, they will come.
So please do.

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Kevin,

My son will be ten next April. After my 2017 trip, he insisted that he go with me next time. He gets out of school in late May, so that will be the first chance we can both be gone for a week or two at a stretch.

A few other dwebbers have expressed an interest in going. This won't be "epic" off roading; more camping and knocking around in the desert. e.g.

Our very rough plan is to start near Page and ease our way north; stopping as we wish.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca

That it definitely true. My wife and I have been all over in our Defender. Just back in October we did a 3000 mile trip in California, Oregon, and Nevada. We did about 300 miles off road. One thing that I like about the dealership I work is that 6 of the techs have lifted DII's and all go on trips together.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Here are some fun pics from a trip with my coworkers. We all had to winch through this spot.

Here's a couple from the last trip I took with my wife. I think most of the pics are on her camera, so these are some I took. (I wish I knew how to use my camera)

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Did you guys grill anything?

When I went with my coworkers we grilled 20 lbs of steak and chicken for tacos. Three of the guys are Mexican so it was an epic feast. It was also a pain in the ass dealing with the clean up. That's one of the rookie moves on my coworkers part. They all had huge nasty trash bags to lug around the next day. When my wife and I go out we usually get by with just a grocery bag that we dump when we get fuel. One of the many reasons I don't get the Trasharoo thing.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Kevin,

I am planning to head to southeastern Utah late May/early June.

My wife is planning a trip to Isla Mujeres late May and we just realized it conflicts with my daughter's high school graduation May 30th. I won't be able to escape until June at the earliest.

Jan 25, 2010
your moms bed
I took an epic trip a couple weeks ago. I went outside to take a piss off the deck and didn’t see the flower pot in the dark. I almost fell and spilled my Jack Daniels. Truly an epic trip.

pinkytoe69

Jan 14, 2012
minnesota
I took an epic trip a couple weeks ago. I went outside to take a piss off the deck and didn?t see the flower pot in the dark. I almost fell and spilled my Jack Daniels. Truly an epic trip.

If it resulted neither in fall, nor Jack spillage, it couldn't have been all that epic :p