Tire (Tyre) recommendation

glester

Jul 11, 2017
Seattle
I bought the truck with 265/75r16 BFG Mud Terrain tires and although they are great tires for what they are, I would like to get a set that I use for "everyday" use and then throw those on when I have something planned. This truck is my daily driver. I have an extra set of 16" wheels so I would just store and swap as needed.

Also, because of the 300TDI, I'm looking to get a skinnier tire and something with much lower rolling resistance. So I'm looking at 235/85r16. I'm thinking mainly all season at this point, but wouldn't be against all terrain if it was fairly efficient and quieter.

Thoughts?

mgreenspan

Feb 28, 2005
Briggs's Back Yard
If you are doing just daily highway stuff get general grabber hts. Not the best in heavy snow according to some but great on very wet pavement and snow in my opinion. We have them on our GX and I used to have them on a Disco in 235/85. The quietest tires I've ever had on any vehicle and they wear great.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
I had Nitto TerraGrapplers on my RR.
They were good.

Plus, there's a billboard near here that says "Nitto is the Most Liked tire brand on the Facebook!"
AND, the billboard has that thumb-up symbol!
So, you know, that's pretty much everything you need to worry about, what "people" on Facebook think.

Rocky

Apr 23, 2004
Red Sox Nation
Lots of good suggestions. If you do alot of miles every year, then the Michelin's last longer and provide better value for money. If you are only doing say 10k a year on the street, buy cheaper tires. Cooper HT3, Firestone AT, Conti, Sumitomo, will all do fine.
We're not driving limos so they don't have to be perfect.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Another vote for CrossContact LX. They are very smooth on the road, and wet traction is top notch. These continental tires can be a good alternative to Michelin LTX.

Not sure if it applies to all Continental tires, but those that came with our LR4 were the worst tires I ever had. At 17kmi, they were almost gone (and they were gone by 23 kmi).

Michelin LTX is probably the greatest road tire I ever had (and currently have). However, in Southwest US the UV damage gets them faster than wear.

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
For the sake of not starting another tire thread I'm going to hijack.

Anyone running Cooper STT pro or Mastercraft Courser MXT? If so how do you like them? I really liked my old STTs and the tread looked almost identical to the MXT so I was leaning that way. I also realize Mastercraft is made by Cooper, maybe it's the same tire.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
That Mastercraft Courser MXT is very similar to my Cooper Discoverer STTs that I bought in Nov 2014. Looks like the STT has been replaced by the STT Pro with kind of a triple center block design instead of the double block in my STTs. These STTs have been great tires...I have 34K+ miles on them and they are just starting to look a bit worn but still lots of life left. I paid $237/tire for 285/75/16 from Discount Tire back in 2014 and I see that the new STT Pro in the same size is currently $223 at Discount Tire. Not bad. The Mastercraft Courser MXT in my size is $200 per tire on Amazon. I'm also thinking about going with the BFGoodrich AT KO2s which are $200 each from Tire Rack. I ran my last set of tires (BFG ATs in 265/75/16) for over 60K miles. This all includes rotating in a 5th tire.

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
I really liked my old STTs and they did well in the snow. I'm not sure how many miles I got out of them but they lasted forever. I will probably go with whichever I find the best deal on if I don't hear much about them. I've noticed some big price differences going between 245/75 16 and 215/85 16 looking around.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
I got 7+ years out of my Nitto Terra Grapplers.
I just bought a set of Ridge Grapplers in 285/75-18. Hopefully these give me half the life of the Terra Grapplers.