Rolls Royce Cullinan

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Has anyone else watched the short test films as they are released?

They're actually pushing this thing's capability off-pavement first and foremost, from the looks of things so far. It seems like they've got their eye on the UAE and places with similar terrain and hobbies.

I'm excited to see it with the camouflage removed, and pretty happy to see they're on a proprietary platform again.

We're finally getting to see what the dark side can bring to the table when they actually have money to spend.

Staring at the Wraith, it's hard to believe that, not too long ago, the company wasn't valuable enough to be traded for a single one of it's cars. I can't wait to see what's actually going on underneath the Cullinan.

The name is a bit odd, though. No fallen angels or angry spirits, unless I'm missing something.

Cheers,

Kennith

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
The name is a bit odd, though. No fallen angels or angry spirits, unless I'm missing something.

It's named after the Cullinan diamond, but I prefer to think its namesake is Daryl Cullinan, one of the best South African opening batsmen in history:

daryl-cullinan-1472284929-800.jpg

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
It's named after the Cullinan diamond, but I prefer to think its namesake is Daryl Cullinan, one of the best South African opening batsmen in history:

Bah. Boring name for a vehicle made by Rolls Royce; Lucifer's own automotive manufacturer.

It should have been called something more interesting. Wandering Spirit would have been a good one; which can be interpreted as "Lost Soul". That fits with their not so subtly demonic naming traditions.

Cullinan... Nope. I don't like it at all, but the vehicle looks pretty bad ass.

Cheers,

Kennith

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
But does the name fit the vehicle? A diamond is precious, multifaceted, tough, beautiful, distinctive, etc. - all those things that RR might want to convey about its new 4x4. The Cullinan diamond, however, is one-of-a-kind, and surely RR will want to sell more than just one 4x4. But they might like to give owners the perception that what they are driving is so exclusive as to be unique.

In a different example, the names LR2, LR3, LR4 are all boring and complete departures from the previous 15 years of Land Rover's naming conventions. The 90/110/130 were the last numerically-named Rovers, and those numbers actually meant something, even though they were effectively just identifiers of variations on what was just The Land Rover.

Then Ferrari goes and makes a car called the California, for heaven's sake (sounds better when pronounced in 4 syllables like Arnold Schwarzenegger). Porsche dispensed with its numerical nomenclature for the Cayenne and its Panamera sounds like a fast food bakery chain.

The automotive world is full of examples of manufacturers deviating from naming traditions. That in itself is a tradition. So maybe Rolls Royce is just following that tradition.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA

How come the batter is dressed like the catcher, and the catcher is dressed like a batter?
Fucking brits.
Drive on the wrong side of the road, get confused by baseball costumes.
jesus.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
How come the batter is dressed like the catcher, and the catcher is dressed like a batter?
Fucking brits.
Drive on the wrong side of the road, get confused by baseball costumes.
jesus.

1. They aren't Brits. The photo is of a match played between South Africa and Pakistan.
2. It is an awkward coincidence that the uniform color of both nations' teams is primarily green. Compounding the confusion is Australia's uniforms, which are also green. So are Ireland's. Then India's uniforms are blue, even though that color doesn't even appear on their flag. England's uniform colors seem to change every few years.
3. It's okay if none of this makes sense. I've been playing and following cricket since I was 7 years old and I still only understand a fraction of the game. The rules to the game are the only thing I can think of that is more complicated than the IRS tax code.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
But does the name fit the vehicle? A diamond is precious, multifaceted, tough, beautiful, distinctive, etc. - all those things that RR might want to convey about its new 4x4. The Cullinan diamond, however, is one-of-a-kind, and surely RR will want to sell more than just one 4x4. But they might like to give owners the perception that what they are driving is so exclusive as to be unique.

In a different example, the names LR2, LR3, LR4 are all boring and complete departures from the previous 15 years of Land Rover's naming conventions. The 90/110/130 were the last numerically-named Rovers, and those numbers actually meant something, even though they were effectively just identifiers of variations on what was just The Land Rover.

Then Ferrari goes and makes a car called the California, for heaven's sake (sounds better when pronounced in 4 syllables like Arnold Schwarzenegger). Porsche dispensed with its numerical nomenclature for the Cayenne and its Panamera sounds like a fast food bakery chain.

The automotive world is full of examples of manufacturers deviating from naming traditions. That in itself is a tradition. So maybe Rolls Royce is just following that tradition.

Yeah, I get it.

I suppose it could call to excess, and they've done that before, but still...

This is a company that released the Silver Seraph, Wraith, and uses an orgasm for a radiator cap. That's enough to earn first chair in the hot place within a single sentence.

I'd still call it something that distills to "Lost Soul". Doesn't stop me from appreciating the brand, but it smacks a bit of "softening up" the image a bit. Rolls Royce was always right up in the face of propriety; sometimes seemingly about twelve inches up the ass of propriety, actually, bareback and without a courtesy reach-around...

Always liked that about Rolls Royce. It's as if every one came from the factory with a "fuck you" vanity plate. :rofl:

Cheers,

Kennith

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
1. They aren't Brits. The photo is of a match played between South Africa and Pakistan.
2. It is an awkward coincidence that the uniform color of both nations' teams is primarily green. Compounding the confusion is Australia's uniforms, which are also green. So are Ireland's. Then India's uniforms are blue, even though that color doesn't even appear on their flag. England's uniform colors seem to change every few years.
3. It's okay if none of this makes sense. I've been playing and following cricket since I was 7 years old and I still only understand a fraction of the game. The rules to the game are the only thing I can think of that is more complicated than the IRS tax code.

One British colony is much the same as any other. :smilelol:
Let's say my 7th grade science teacher, the guy swinging the paddle he used on us for calling him a washed-up has-been bully who liked to pick on kids 1/3 his size, successfully hits the ball.
Who runs?
The batter in the catcher outfit, or the catcher in the batter outfit?
Or, in keeping with proper ass-backwards, not-baseball, do they stand still, and all the fielders run toward them?
Why is he on his knees? Is he too tall to play standing up?
What if he misses? Do they then begin a hard-fought contest of croquet with the sticks behind them?
Do they take a 7th-inning tea break?
Will there be crumpets?

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I'd go with "Wildly Overpriced Pseudo-SUV But Really Just A Stationwagon That Probably Feels Like A Ford With The OffRoad Ability Of A GMC Trailgazer But Costs 1000 Times More"

Or Spirit.
Spirit sounds good, too.

I don't know, man. They're out driving that thing like honey badgers.

I think Rolls Royce is aiming squarely at the Range Rover. They don't have to compete, but they can certainly sell a Cullianan to someone who already has a few Range Rovers, and wants that next level in luxury to go thrash around in the desert.

That first run is probably sold already, and probably sold right after the debut of the National Geographic film campaign. It's a very cool marketing campaign. They're showing the car early, showing off it's capabilities, building a new brand identity, courting favor with the locals, and still preventing the world from really seeing the vehicle.

Dazzle camouflage is pretty effective stuff. You'll swear up and down that you think you know what something looks like... Until they peel off the vinyl... I love how they used just enough; like a dress that's almost too sheer, or a plunging back that plunges almost too much.

They're not trying to sell it to us, after all. These people know precisely what they're doing, and they're certainly very good at it. That was always Land Rover's biggest failing: Marketing.

Every time they had a good idea, they played with it for a couple of months and then just let it die. In the meantime, tens of thousands of companies filed their cars under "Toyota", and their flagship product was thought to be manufactured by another company entirely.

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Well, it's been revealed finally; with a tailgate and optional seats to put on it. Looks like they hit the nail on the head.

It's a lot better looking than I thought it would be, as well.

The interior shows some seriously massive wheel wells. I expect it's got a fair amount of articulation.

Regardless, it looks like a winner to me. Obviously it's full of features we'd never use, and is extremely simplified, but the gadgets are buried in there if you want them, including more advanced off-pavement tuning if the "off road" button isn't enough.

They sure know their market well. I'm impressed.

I'm looking forward to Demuro getting his hands on one, as well as the Grand Tour boys. I want to see someone get out there and thrash the thing. If anyone will actually push it, it's going to be Hammond, Clarkson, or May.

I've heard conflicting numbers on power output, but one pegged it at 550bhp and 850lb/ft from under 2,000 RPM.

I suppose a twin-turbo V12 could do that, but that's a serious difference between horsepower and torque. Not sure what the real figure is, but from the way they were surfing dunes it's got to be pretty damned potent.

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
It?s not a truck, not even a vehicle...it?s a handbag.

Sounds like everything I've heard about the Ridgeline... But I'm still more than likely going to get one. :D

The Cullinan isn't really my sort of vehicle, though. I'd probably go for a G or a Range Rover if I was going to spend over a hundred grand on an SUV; maybe a Power Wagon from Legacy Motors or an Icon of some variety if I was going to spend Rolls money.

They do make that Wraith, though, and I like that thing. Reminds me of a '49 Roadmaster, which is one of my favorite vehicles of all time.

Cheers,

Kennith

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
I'd drive a Ridgeline over an Evoque convertible no question.
So would I.
Then I'd drive over the ridgeline with ((insert any actual truck here)).
And sell tickets to me doing it.
I'll call it "Monster Truck Something Or Other", and hold the event in a football stadium.
Just think of the Budweiser!
The toothless women!
The men with a number 3 shaved into their backhair!
Fucking epic, man. Epic.
:victory: