Maglite is the Worst Flashlight on the Market

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I went out to my truck and grabbed my 25 yr old maglite. I'm not sure when I last changed the batteries and not sure when I last used it. It's not even strapped down, it rides between the seat and the fire extinguisher.

Turned it on and it works.
44295729315_521f58f1c1_z.jpg

Most of the flashlights around the house are Harbor Freight or HF knock-offs (is that even possible?).

My Blue Top Optima is 8+ years old, bought it used 6 years ago. It lives in my trailer where it's fully charged before a trip. It powers the fridge, camp lighting and usb chargers. Recharged by 200w solar during the day. Sometimes I charge it before storing the trailer. Still kicking.

I can dig it, but you're still one lucky fucker. :)

That said, Mag was making a completely different product at that point. Units produced much later than that have been made of thinner aluminum, crappier alloys, and have piss-poor switches; as well as unreliable... Well, whatever they call that insert that retains the bulb holder and batteries.

I can't quite remember when Optima became a lottery, but they changed as well. Mechanical failures of the internal rails give them nearly a fifty percent failure rate at this point.

You just gave me an idea, though. Maybe I'll buy a NOS vintage unit and convert it to run rechargeable lithium cells. If it works long enough, I can put the Malkoff stuff in there. I really want something that will snap into what I've got, as it's a very convenient spot.

Cheers,

Kennith