D1 to RRC axle swap

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
I've got a 88 RRC and a 96 D1. I want to swap the D1 axle into the RRC. Are there major differences between the two? I know the brake set up is a bit different. What else?

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
Radius arms will need to come from the D1. Swivel housings will be different, but that shouldn't affect anything. Steering rod setup is different, but that shouldn't affect anything either. Axles will be 24 spline vs the rear 10 spline, so that's something to remember when replacing. Really I think you'll only need to deal with the radius arms.

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
Thank you.

I'm putting a 24 spline locker/ HD shafts in the rear. That's one of the reasons I wanna swap to the 24 spline in the front too. Plus I like the newer style CVs and no outer seal like the old style has. Not sure if it's good or bad but not being able to pull the bearing right out kinda sucks

So all the caliper brackets will swap over or can be used? I planned on swapping the pitman arm too so I can have the regular tie rod at the box.

I have the entire truck so radius arms are no problem. Just curious why? Are the different sizes?

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
Not sure why you'd worry about calipers. If you're taking your time to do the swap, you should go with late D90 vented, or non vented calipers/pads/rotors. Cheap insurance for great braking.

Late radius arms are wider, and articulate less. Brackets on the D1 axle will be too wide.

Shiftonthefly1

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas
The non ABS dual line calipers in this truck stop great. Way better than then a disco. Vented rotors/spaced calipers will come eventually.