Oil consumption

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
D1 with 231,000 miles. Got back from a 2 week/3400 mile trip amd only got 2quarts of oil in my drain pan!!!
Never saw any huge oil spots on the ground, just normal quarter size drips.
No oil in the coolant.
After the 1000 mile drive home I noticed "oily" looking spots on the rear bumper of the truck.
So I assume its burning oil. What kind of repair am I looking at?

Hi, my experience is to see little oily spots when D1 or D2 make long drives at continuous higher​ speed, but oil comes out from transfer case seals, with no noticeable level drop.
Some gurus find that high TC oil temp increases pressure and makes oil thinner producing these small spots. In order to decrease TC oil temp somebody​ designed a sumpf cap with 2 more liters oil capacity.. Transfer cases with these oil caps work cooler, and don't drop oil.

Regards

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
D1 with 231,000 miles. Got back from a 2 week/3400 mile trip amd only got 2quarts of oil in my drain pan!!!
Never saw any huge oil spots on the ground, just normal quarter size drips.
No oil in the coolant.
After the 1000 mile drive home I noticed "oily" looking spots on the rear bumper of the truck.
So I assume its burning oil. What kind of repair am I looking at?

Rings or valve quides I would think.

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
Assuming you started with more than 2qts and you've already checked the valve covers the first order of business is figure out if it is leaking out or burning out.

On a separate note, you drove a Disco I 3400 miles without periodically checking critical fluids?

Shame on you.
:eek4:

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
I did an oil change right before the trip, 7qts of 15w-40 and a Napa Gold filter.
I haven't checked valve covers. And no, shamefully I didn't check the oil on our 2 week trip. I've owned three other D1's and never been more than a quart low at 3000 mile oil change intervals. I guess its just weird that 5qts disappeared without any huge puddle under the truck and no smoke.

I suppose its possible that a leak developed towards the end on the trip, in particular on the way home where much of the driving was at night/in the dark.

Assuming you started with more than 2qts and you've already checked the valve covers the first order of business is figure out if it is leaking out or burning out.

On a separate note, you drove a Disco I 3400 miles without periodically checking critical fluids?

Shame on you.
:eek4:

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
It's got to be leaking somewhere. Is your transfercase black? Is the back of the oil pan wet? Is the oil pressure switch spewing out oil? Maybe you can't see the leak because the oil is clean?

If it is burning I think you'd see or smell it How is the mesh in the valve cover breather? Maybe pull the upper plenum and see if it's swimming in oil?

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
Sounds like I've got some investigating to do.
I did the oil change myself so I'm pretty positive I added more than 2qts. But I did oil changes on three of my vehicles that day so I guess anything is possible.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I do remember some engines pulling oil from the breather hose from the valve cover. It should have a little plastic restriction in the port on the valve cover. If that's missing it will pull oil from there. I think because of the distance you went to burn 4 arts you might not have had a lot of smoke from the tailpipe. Maybe people driving behind you could see a little but from the drivers seat maybe not.

JohnB

Oct 18, 2007
Oregon
Mine has similar miles and leaks a bit from valve cover gaskets. It looses a QT every thousand miles.