Gun 'style' in the media

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Nope. You need to walk off and learn a few things, too. Debating with you as well is pointless at this time.

We can't educate and debate at the same time. Nobody knows whether you understand things or not.

So, go hang out in the FAQ section on a few firearm sites, join up and tell them you'd like to know what's what. They'll be more than happy to help out. Once you know what you're talking about, pop back over and we'll have a discussion.

Until then, it's just a pointless circle-jerk, and you're the pivot man.

Cheers,

Kennith

This isn't a debate. You're too stupid to realize it and too cowardly to take issue with anything specific. Cheers.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
You're way off. Blue spoke to those supporting a blanket ban. I was asking for his thoughts on those who wish to ban specific classes of weapons. Automatics were an example of a specific class of weapons. You got confused because they're already banned and I fucked up the date (86, not 94). He answered that any ban of any class of weapon is "meaningless". Done.

I think you knew what you were talking about - you did mean automatic and not semi-automatic. You clearly asked about "a specific ban of (insert criteria) weapons, and no more". I understood what you were asking, it was the date of the 1994 AWB that confused me.

Now that being said, in your quote above you say "He answered that any ban of any class of weapon is 'meaningless'". That deduction is not necessarily true...I was saying that a ban on autos is meaningless because they are already so incredibly restricted.

Yes, I did further state, "To speak to your clarification above, I'd still say a specific ban of (insert criteria) weapons is essentially meaningless." But that statement is made with the knowledge that full autos are already incredibly restricted.

In other words, I would not sit here and oppose a ban on fully automatic firearms if they were readily available and bad guys were using them on shooting sprees. Fully automatic vs. semi-automatic is a logical, definable, and defendable criteria. We can put all full autos on one table and all semi-autos on another table and rationally discuss their attributes. Not so with "assault weapons". Your assault weapon could be my home defense firearm, or hunting rifle, or beer can plinker. That's the rub.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
In other words, I would not sit here and oppose a ban on fully automatic firearms if they were readily available and bad guys were using them on shooting sprees. Fully automatic vs. semi-automatic is a logical, definable, and defendable criteria. We can put all full autos on one table and all semi-autos on another table and rationally discuss their attributes. Not so with "assault weapons". Your assault weapon could be my home defense firearm, or hunting rifle, or beer can plinker. That's the rub.

Understood.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
This isn't a debate. You're too stupid to realize it and too cowardly to take issue with anything specific. Cheers.

I agree that this isn't a debate. It's trying to be, but it can't be one until you are educated.

I disagree about my stupidity, but a hallmark of being stupid is being unaware of said stupidity. It is, therefore, impossible for me to know whether or not I am stupid, so I must accept the possibility.

I deny your third assertion. Defend it, abandon it, or withdraw it. Your choice.

Cheers,

Kennith

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
I disagree about my stupidity, but a hallmark of being stupid is being unaware of said stupidity. It is, therefore, impossible for me to know whether or not I am stupid, so I must accept the possibility.

The problem with this statement is that in accepting the possibility you show a self-awareness which makes it less likely the possibility is true.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
You may as well ban them, because clearly nobody reads the things. :banghead:

Cheers,

Kennith
What about reading books about guns?

I have several different methods of turning the pages...
A semi-automatic page turner, that turns 1 page at a time, and a fully-automatic page turner, that just "br-r-r-r-r-r-r" fans through all the pages as fast as it can.

I prefer the semi-automatic page turner, so I can actually read each page before whipping the next one by.
Therefore, no one should have access to a fully-automatic page turner.
And, any companies that manufacture fully-automatic page turners should be boycotted. Or their employees should be threatened with physical violence by men in black costumes that have fully automatic page turners.

Regardless, I think everything I'm against should be illegal, and everything I like should be mandatory. The full force of the Federal Government should be brought to bear to make sure everything is done the way I like it.

And I believe if some states have laws implemented with the consent of their citizens that are different from other states, then whichever state can make the biggest fuss should be allowed to overrule the other states. Unless the state making the biggest fuss is not the one I agree with, in which case the fussy state shall be labeled "racist", or, in extreme cases, "homophobic".

Also, no one should be allowed to have "that shoulder thing that goes up". I'm not sure what it is, but it should be banned. Because reasons.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
The problem with this statement is that in accepting the possibility you show a self-awareness which makes it less likely the possibility is true.

An accurate observation, as it comes close to, but doesn't quite collapse the probability to zero.

Cheers,

Kennith

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
What about reading books about guns?

I have several different methods of turning the pages...
A semi-automatic page turner, that turns 1 page at a time, and a fully-automatic page turner, that just "br-r-r-r-r-r-r" fans through all the pages as fast as it can.

I prefer the semi-automatic page turner, so I can actually read each page before whipping the next one by.
Therefore, no one should have access to a fully-automatic page turner.
And, any companies that manufacture fully-automatic page turners should be boycotted. Or their employees should be threatened with physical violence by men in black costumes that have fully automatic page turners.

Regardless, I think everything I'm against should be illegal, and everything I like should be mandatory. The full force of the Federal Government should be brought to bear to make sure everything is done the way I like it.

And I believe if some states have laws implemented with the consent of their citizens that are different from other states, then whichever state can make the biggest fuss should be allowed to overrule the other states. Unless the state making the biggest fuss is not the one I agree with, in which case the fussy state shall be labeled "racist", or, in extreme cases, "homophobic".

Also, no one should be allowed to have "that shoulder thing that goes up". I'm not sure what it is, but it should be banned. Because reasons.

We need to ban books over 100 pages. No one needs a book that big.

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
Clint Smith gives a great history lesson for noobs...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6idg8lk_7Rk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
Clint Smith gives a great history lesson for noobs...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6idg8lk_7Rk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He called it a semi-automatic pistol. HA!

Really great video. thx for sharing.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
I was thinking about looking at a Daniel Defense AR but now I'm leaning this way. Hell, I may get both.

https://danieldefense.com/firearms/caliber/5-56x45mm.html

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7FyWGXR4Y9k" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like their stuff but def $$$. See their ad in the Savannah airport every time we fly in and out.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
You won’t be disappointed with a DDM4. They are very nice firearms.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
At risk of starting the DI vs gas piston argument, if you are going to spend that kind of money, why not get a gas piston (LWRC, HK, etc)?

They run cooler and cleaner at the bolt/action.

They don't smell the same, though. That's kind of the hallmark of an AR pattern; the unique smell.

Cheers,

Kennith

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
They don't smell the same, though. That's kind of the hallmark of an AR pattern; the unique smell.

Cheers,

Kennith

I thought that was napalm? :victory:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TPT3RFTpSUw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>