RRC Homemade Snorkel

JohnK

Sep 28, 2004
Maryland
AlanB said:
Thanks for the compliments guys, hope this helps anyone else thinking about a DIY snorkel.

Will, yes those are BFG MT 265/75/16's, ome 751 front and 781 rear, 1" spacers in front and 1.5" spacers in back, 2" rovertym body lift. Looking to go to 34's like Chuck's.

Is that an ARB bumper on the front? If so, did you have to modify it so the headlights lined up after the 2" body lift?

I, too, want to hear more about the rear bumper.

With the snorkel head facing forward, are there any issues when driving in the rain?

A

AlanB

JohnK said:
Is that an ARB bumper on the front? If so, did you have to modify it so the headlights lined up after the 2" body lift?

I, too, want to hear more about the rear bumper.

With the snorkel head facing forward, are there any issues when driving in the rain?

Yes its an ARB, I modified the bumper's mounting brackets. I basically extended the brackets lower and then drilled mounting holes approx 2" lower so that everything lined back up to match the body lift.

The snorkel head is supposedly designed so that when water enters the snorkel, it drains out the sides. There are four water channels. I haven't driven in a torrential rain yet, but in normal rains it seems to be fine.

JohnK

Sep 28, 2004
Maryland
AlanB said:
Yes its an ARB, I modified the bumper's mounting brackets. I basically extended the brackets lower and then drilled mounting holes approx 2" lower so that everything lined back up to match the body lift.

Do you have any images of the ARB bracket modification?

A

AlanB

JohnK said:
Do you have any images of the ARB bracket modification?

All you have to do is basically weld on a piece of plate right below the ARB's existing mounting brackets, there will be four pieces that you will have to weld on, you will also have to grind down the welds so that the bumper will slide back on the frame horns. Then drill out the new lower mounting holes. Crawl under your truck, you will see what I mean.

JohnK

Sep 28, 2004
Maryland
AlanB said:
All you have to do is basically weld on a piece of plate right below the ARB's existing mounting brackets, there will be four pieces that you will have to weld on, you will also have to grind down the welds so that the bumper will slide back on the frame horns. Then drill out the new lower mounting holes. Crawl under your truck, you will see what I mean.
I was hoping not to have to lay down in all the coolant and oil.

You do some good work. Thanks for sharing it with us.

WillTN

Oct 14, 2004
Franklin, TN
www.tnrovers.com
Ok, so I am at least going to get the snorkel all made up and get everything for it this weekend and probably install it next weekend. I just need to order the SS head.
Alan, you don't happen to have the item number or anything for the "Black plastic door panel trim" from pep boys do you? Also after you cut off the end of the "horn" on the air cleaner how do you get the hose and hose clamp to stay on it? Also could you estimate the angles of the two places where the bends would be buy you welded it?

I think that is all the questions I have right now. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Later

A

AlanB

Style Guard door edge molding "u" shape standard, #S39381.

I did not write down the angles, what I did to find the angle was to use an adjustable angle finder. Then cut the pipe at half that angle, that way the two ends will meet together and form the correct angle. Its a little tricky to get the pipes at the correct angles as the pipe also curves in with the angle of the windshield.

I tightened down the hose clamp till it collapsed the aluminum hose around the horn.

I would advise building the snorkel with the vehicle present, its alot of taking on and off measuring and fitting to get everything lined up right. Its a tight fit and you must have everything correct or its not going to fit well.

The screws I used are #10 self tapping screws not #12.

The bracket is 1/4" thick from the pipe and 1/8" thick from the A pillar and is just enough clearance with the 1/8" thick plate and screws to clear the door.

After thinking about the time it took to build it and the equipment you need, it might not make economic sence to build one unless you have the equipment or time or can bribe a friend with the equipment to help you out, just my two cents. Least you will need is a welder, grinder, some sort of cut-off tool to cut the hole in the decker panel and to open up the hood and interior decker panel to clear the 3" pipe, sawzall or chop saw to cut the pipe.

Last edited:

WillTN

Oct 14, 2004
Franklin, TN
www.tnrovers.com
I am good for most of the stuff needed. I am going to bend the pipe instead of cutting and welding it. I am not sure if I should cut the hole in the panel first and then bent the pipe or do that last. I guess I should do that first to make it all fit well. And I can weld the A pillar mount.

I think it will only be three bends. One at the bottom so that the pipe goes up the pillar at the same angle back and I can just rotate it to make it go left at the same angle as the pillar. And two at the top to make it go up. One to make it move forward and one to make it go vertical and not at the same inward angle as the pillar. (if that makes sense to you, it does in my head) :) I am just going to eyeball it. It does not have to be perfect.

A

AlanB

Great, its always more fun to build it yourself anyway. Bending it is going to be tough unless you have someone that has a mandrel bender that can bend 3" pipe, a good muffler shop usually has one. If you don't have access to a mandrel bender, a regular bender that uses 3" dies will likely have openings in the die that will produce ridges on the pipe and will not look good, the larger dies have to have the openings to be able to bend the large diameter pipe. I have a bender, but only up to a 2" die, so I decided to cut, weld, and grind.

azarmadillo

Nov 7, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
www.chadmanz.com
Still the best home made snorkel I have ever seen. Major deduction of points though for dryer vent tube and not following the A pillar closer. But, still the best looking home made snorkel I have ever seen.

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Still the best home made snorkel I have ever seen. Major deduction of points though for dryer vent tube and not following the A pillar closer. But, still the best looking home made snorkel I have ever seen.

That's akin to judging turds based on appearance.:rofl: