P1174, P1171 and what i've done so far

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
I'm trying (and have religiously searched) to get to the end of the last of the emissions codes on my new old D2 (2000). Starting with 9 codes I'm down to the lean codes, P1174 and P1171. Thus far I have:

• Replaced the o-rings and plenum gasket
  • Smoke tested and fixed various clamps and hoses (the brake booster and cam box ones were leaking)
  • Replaced the MAF
  • Replaced all plugs

When I spray the engine with carb cleaner I get no idle change near any ring, clamp, or hose, so I'm finally confident the engine bay isn't the source of a vacuum leak. Today I checked the evap back to the fuel tank and removed the cover from over the tank. The fuel pump is obviously leaking from the top, or was at one point recently, and the top of the fuel pump assembly is covered in some kind of undried glue. I'll be replacing the pump as soon as it comes in.

Given the pump is junk and lets gas out I have to assume it lets air in, which perhaps is causing the lean issues, in addition the pump could simply be producing insufficient pressure. Other thoughts? The only condition I noted recently was the cruise control wavers, but I can't find a leak in those hoses.

Another related question - does the little "third port" under the brake booster and cam box vapor connection do anything? Mine is capped, I see many of them capped off in pictures.

Thanks in advance

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
The cruise control makes its own vacuum with a pump. You need to smoke test it. It's more than likely got a vacuum leak. Could be restricted injectors.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Cruise control does not run off the manifold vacuum.

What Stewart said - check fuel rail pressure and if it is in order, look for clogged injectors.
It is highly unlikely that air enters to the fuel lines where fuel leaks - fuel is a far higher pressure than air.

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
I understand the function of the cruise control now and it has been fixed.

What’s funny is the plugs are all consistently burned and the burn looks right. If the issue is with both banks I’m thinking maybe fuel pressure; I have to replace this cracked pump regardless. I’ll update once I do.

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
I installed a new Bosch fuel pump (which are $135 at rock auto), removing the old one which had been covered in some weird glue, I guess to stop it from leaking (it did not stop it). Fingers crossed but it appears to have stopped these codes. There is also a slightly different tone to the motor, such that I believe the old pump wasn’t delivering fuel at adequate pressure. Things simply seem happier and the occasional reek of gas is now gone.

If you do order the pump from rock note it doesn’t come with a seal.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I think if your still having a fuel trim issue you might want to try a Mass Air Flow sensor. But I would try a known good one off another truck. It's an expensive dart. If your sure you have no vacuum leaks and your fuel pressure is good. The MAF sensor is one of those sensors that can become innacurate and the ECM has a hard time figuring it out.

bradartigue

Mar 7, 2018
Sandy Springs, Georgia
I replaced the MAF with a new Bosch unit. It was throwing codes (I started with 9). Also replaced the injector seals and plenum gasket. Pretty much all of the wearable parts except the charcoal can and the evap sensor.

Bosch MAFs are fairly cheap at rock auto, $88 and it’s the same brand new Bosch meter as Land Rover dealers sell for about 5x that amount.