back into the fold: old Rangie, new (to me) problems

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Before my D1 I owned a 1990 RRC. I missed that thing so much I just bought a 1993 County Sport. It's fundamentally sound with no rust, engine has about 75,000 on it, drivetrain feels smooth, air suspension replaced with coils.

I'm going to be asking a bunch of dumb questions because I don't know the Classic as well as the D1 - thank you in advance for your patience. The main problems this truck has are electrical in nature (surprise, surprise), but for starters:

1. When I checked out the truck and fired up the engine the fan kicked in at ignition. Is this the sign of a fan clutch needing replacement?

2. Neither front seat moves. Presumably ECU?

WeBeCinYa

Feb 25, 2016
NC
You are saying the fan comes on when you turn the key before ignition? This sounds like an electrical fan set up...otherwise not sure what you are asking?

If both seats won't move its the seat switches. See other post for person to contact.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
No, sorry, I'll clarify: when checking out the truck I started the engine from cold with the hood open and then walked around to look into the engine compartment. The fan was running. I thought the fan wasn't supposed to kick on right away at start up.

If the stuck seats are a result of switches I'd be happier than if it's the ECU. Will check other post referenced, thank you.

WeBeCinYa

Feb 25, 2016
NC
Fan should always start when engine starts. To check if fan clutch is working, take a roll of newspaper and see if you can stop fan when running. If so you should swap it.
On the seats, the switches are the ecu. You need to swap out entire switch with good ones.

jims95

Apr 20, 2004
Upland, California
On my 1995 RRC, one of the seat switches malfunctioned (seat would not go back but would go forward). The seat switch had dirt inside on the contacts. Took the seat switch out and cleaned/flushed the inside with WD40. I watched the dirt drain out. I did not disassemble it. The seat switch worked well after cleaning.

kk88rrc

Fan sounds normal at start up. It should settle down in a couple minutes once the fluid gets redistributed. If it sounds like a jet engine all the time then it is seized.

Seats... check your fuses. Did the 93s have a seat ecu? Seat switches get dirty over time but can be easily rebuilt.

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
I too have ventured into the land of RRC's after previously having a number of D1's.

First off always check he fuses. My seat switches weren't working and come to find out the fuses were busted. They're under the pass seat.

Also, the ABS pump would cycle on and off randomly on my first one. My RRC now doesn't have the ABS option thank god. The brake systems in the disco are far better imo because they don't rely on the abs pump itself to drive the brakes.

mearstrae

Mar 15, 2017
Pennsylvania
If the switches check out, I'd check the MFU (Multi Function Unit) next, it's under the driver's foot well fuse panel (yes, under...). It controls a lot of interior functions. These were used before the BCU's (Body Control Units) came out. I've found corrosion and bad solder joints in these.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
If the switches check out, I'd check the MFU (Multi Function Unit) next, it's under the driver's foot well fuse panel (yes, under...). It controls a lot of interior functions. These were used before the BCU's (Body Control Units) came out. I've found corrosion and bad solder joints in these.

Thanks for the suggestion. What other functions does the MFU control? Just curious, in case other systems also being inop would point to a faulty MFU. I have some tested seat switches on the way so if those don't solve that problem then I'll dig deeper.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Gotcha. Sunroof and windows all work. Passenger seat has limited functionality - the only thing I can get it to do is tilt the seat base down. If I'm lucky this means the seat switches are the problem. I'll find out when my replacement switches arrive.

aliastel

Sep 27, 2009
Champaign, IL
First off always check he fuses. My seat switches weren't working and come to find out the fuses were busted. They're under the pass seat.

There are no fuses under the seats. Are you talking relays? The fuses are in the panel on the dash. There are also relays on the passenger side firewall on earlier Rangie's.

4Runner

May 24, 2007
Boise Idaho
So my 94lwb has 1 ecu under the drivers seat. It has a battery that rots out and start to ruin the circuit board. I removed mine. That ecu controls the drivers seat and memory functions, both of the mirrors and the fuel door popper. That's all it does. I use mine just for the mirrors and the fuel door at the moment. I scrapped the seat switches and wired my own switches in the base. I haven't wired the passenger seat but I don't think there is an ecu for that. There is a plug under each seat with 8 pins that are diagonal. Each pair does a function to the seat. Reverse the polarity and the seat moves in the other direction. You can jump these pins to test the seat motors. The seat heaters are a different plug. Do not run the seats all the way to the end as the motors will not stop at the end of the travel when jumping them. I had to add a current sensor that shuts the motors off if the motor starts to bind.

4Runner

May 24, 2007
Boise Idaho
There is a picture of your seat ecu and the corrosion spot where the battery was. The other picture I are my new switches and the wiring to the plug under the seat, so you can see what the plug looks like.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
How does one post higher quality picts to the board?

1. upload your photos to an image sharing site like photobucket, snapfish, or whatever the cool kids are using these days. Copy the link location to the photo you want to display.
2. click the "insert image" function from the toolbar above (this thing:

insertimage.gif
)
3. paste URL into the dialog box.
4. voila
5. be mindful of the size of the original - too big and it makes Dweb look weird.

JohnC

Dec 8, 2005
Tappan, NY
There is a picture of your seat ecu and the corrosion spot where the battery was. The other picture I are my new switches and the wiring to the plug under the seat, so you can see what the plug looks like.

DO you have a write-up on your seat switch setup?

Thx

Sorry for the hijack.